We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

host multiple website on single webserver??  [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Jun 28, 2012 09:22 AM by accuwebhosting.com

• host multiple website on single webserver??

Jun 28, 2012 01:16 AM|starnitin|LINK

ello all, I have a webserver as window server2008 iis 7 . now i want to run multiple websites on my single webserve..please guide me.... thankssss...

WebDeploy

• Re: host multiple website on single webserver??

Jun 28, 2012 06:58 AM|Rick Barber|LINK

There is more than one way to do this.  However, I would recommend that you configure the sites using host headers.  If you have two sites named site1.com and site2.com, you would set the bindings for the first website to use 'All unassigned' for the IP address, 80 for the Port, and site1.com for the Host name.  You would then set bindings for the second website to use 'All unassigned' for the IP address, 80 for the Port, and site2.com for the Host name.

If you wanted the sites to also respond to www.site1.com and www.site2.com, you would need to add bindings like above except using www.site1.com and www.site2.com as the Host name respectively.

Rick Barber

OrcsWeb: Managed Windows Hosting Solutions
    "Remarkable Service. Remarkable Support."
    IIS Community Newsletter

Jun 28, 2012 06:59 AM|Artie|LINK

Depending on the number of IPs you have, point the domains to the IPs assigned to the server, set up each site in IIS as a separate site and use host headers, so IIS knows which site to return.

This article will show you how to configure host headers in IIS 7 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753195(WS.10).aspx 

Artur Perz

OrcsWeb: Managed Windows Hosting Solutions
    "Remarkable Service. Remarkable Support."

Jun 28, 2012 09:22 AM|AccuWebHosting.Com|LINK

HI!

If you want to point your site with IP address then you can bind the site with port number.

For Example,

if you want to browse site1 then you can type http://192.168.1.226:80

same way if you want to browse site2 then you can type http://192.168.1.226:81

This is call Port Binding with an IP Address.

To Bind the port with any IP(using IIS) you can do the following :

1. Open IIS Manager.

2. In the Connections pane, expand the Sites node in the tree, and then click to select the site for which you want to add a binding.

3. In the Actions pane, click Bindings.

4. In the Site Bindings dialog box, click Add.

5. In the Add Site Binding dialog box, select the type of your site, Select IP of your Site and assign port which you want to assign then click OK.

Another way to do that by specifying host header value in host file.

For that do the following steps:

1. In run dilogbox type following path:
      %systemroot%\System32\drivers\etc
    2. Open "hosts" file.
    3. Insert your IP and site name into end of file.
      For Example :
      192.168.1.226      site1.com
      192.168.1.226      site2.com

Now you can surf that two site(site1.com & site2.com) on same IP with same port.

Regards.

David @ AccuWebHosting.Com
    Dependable Windows VPS Hosting