We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

IIS 7.5 Error 404.0 Not FoundRSS

26 replies

Last post Jul 23, 2012 07:46 PM by Atrosis

• IIS 7.5 Error 404.0 Not Found

Jun 15, 2012 12:27 AM|Atrosis|LINK

I've recently encountered an error when accessing a URL saying that it is removed or something of the sort (Runescape). I can load the frontpage, and I can load the client, but I cannot load anything further than that i.e. the forums or highscore tables, etc. Here is the error: HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Detailed Error Information Module IIS Web Core Notification MapRequestHandler Handler StaticFile Error Code 0x80070002 Requested URL http://services.runescape.com:80/m=forum/forums.ws Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\m=forum\forums.ws Logon Method Anonymous Logon User Anonymous I've checked and googled most posts/issues similar to this, but none have given me an answer I can understand. (I have no idea how to operate PHP or anything of the sort). Any help, and or solution is greatly appreciated.

"IIS" 404 custom error the specified file path is invalid

• Re: IIS 7.5 Error 404.0 Not Found

Jun 15, 2012 12:30 AM|Atrosis|LINK

Not sure how to add spaces in between the sentences. My apologies.

Jun 18, 2012 06:55 AM|Atrosis|LINK

Anybody?

Jun 19, 2012 04:22 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

Your URL is full off special signs (= .)

Can you verify you havent a tool like URLSCAN installed which does not allow you to use these special signs?

Why does your domain ends with :80? Isnt this website staticly bound to port 80?  

Regards

Jun 19, 2012 04:28 AM|Atrosis|LINK

Sorry, I'm new to IIS, How do I check if URLSCAN is on? And I'm not sure why the :80, but it wasn't there prior to entering the web address, and I assumed it was the port number it was trying to connect to. EDIT: I should also add that it says Error in the "DEFAULT WEB SITE"

Jun 19, 2012 08:01 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

Hi

URLSCAN is to be found (if installed) in %windir%\system32\inetsrv\urlscan

How you mean error? Does it have a questionmark or what?

Jun 19, 2012 06:09 PM|Atrosis|LINK

There is no URLSCAN installed/in the folder. And at the top of the page it says Server Error in Application "DEFAULT WEB SITE". No question marks or anything.

Jun 20, 2012 06:37 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

In basic settings for Default Website what is it fysical location specified, is this path fysically there if you browse it?
    Next in Basic Settings, what happens when you click on TEST SETTINGS?

Jun 21, 2012 07:34 PM|Atrosis|LINK

Yes, there is a physical path: %SystemDrive%\inetpub\wwwroot. And when I click Test Settings I get an authentication saying it's valid, and another message saying: "Cannot verify access to path (C:\inetpub\wwwroot)", even though the path exists. Furthermore, here is the message description: "The server is configured to use pass-through authentication with a built-in account to access the specified physical path. However, IIS Manager cannot verify whether the built-in account has access. Make sure that the application pool identity has Read access to the physical path. If this server is joined to a domain, and the application pool identity is NetworkService or LocalSystem, verify that \$ has Read access to the physical path. Then test these settings again."

Jun 22, 2012 05:05 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

Hi

Maybe you can try to add a user to this server (can be local or domain, up to your config)

In this scenario we add a local user to the webserver and call it "websiteuser"
    This user needs a long/strong password which off course never expires and the account needs to be member off the group IIS_IUSRS which should have adequate rights (by default) to your website home dir.

Once the user is added go to IIS, Basic Settings, Connect AS and fill in the userdetails. Now when you click test settings you should get 2 green flags saying rightlevels are correct so you can try your website.

Hope this helps.

Jun 22, 2012 07:06 AM|Atrosis|LINK

Sorry, where is the "add user" button. I'm an extreme newbie when it comes to IIS, so I pretty much need step by step directions on what to do. I apologize if there's an inconvenience.

Jun 22, 2012 08:01 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

On the server, right click my computer and select manage.

Jun 22, 2012 08:05 AM|Atrosis|LINK

There is no "manage" button. It says "Manage Web Site", but underneath is simply, restart, start, stop, browse, etc. Nothing about adding a user.

Jun 22, 2012 08:07 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

You need to add the user to Windows, not IIS.

Jun 22, 2012 08:19 AM|Atrosis|LINK

I went to Computer Management, and searched for the subgroup "Local Users and Groups" to add a user to the webserver, but the subgroup does not exist. I went to the help menu, and it implies that it should be there, but it's not. Under system tools are only Task Scheduler, Event Viewer, Shared Folders, Performance, and Device Manager.

Jun 22, 2012 08:47 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

Is it a domain controller? If so you need to add the user to active directory Users and Computers.

Else, what OS are you using?

Jun 22, 2012 08:49 AM|Atrosis|LINK

I do not believe so. And it's Windows 7.

Jun 22, 2012 09:07 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

Oops, i didnt see that answer coming :)

Ok, instead off adding a user just use your username/password in IIS connect as. (assuming you are the local admin) and test your site.

Jun 22, 2012 06:39 PM|Atrosis|LINK

Okay I did that, two green flags, but when I went to test the website I still got the same error. Nothing changed really.

Jun 24, 2012 05:36 AM|Patrick1972|LINK

Hmm so we have no rights-issue.... i have to admit windows 7 & IIS is not my strongest thing but i keep thinking about the IUSR.

You could try to add your website to the trusted websites by going to internetoptions in IE and click on security.

Else i am thinking, is your web.config in place? are you using the right .net versions for every application? (2.0 or 4.0)?, could it be there is a spelling issue in the URL?

Please check this URL, it is on the same brainwave i am on.. LINK

Jun 24, 2012 07:04 PM|Atrosis|LINK

I use Google Chrome, how would I add it to the trusted sites if not already? "Make sure that the requested resource is at the location that the URL points to." The location that it points to doesn't exist, which I assume is a problem, but I'm not sure how to create the physical path that leads to it. I tried simply creating a folder and naming it m=forums, but that doesn't really make any sense.

Jun 28, 2012 05:55 AM|Atrosis|LINK

Bump. Issue still unresolved.

Jun 29, 2012 01:38 AM|kctt|LINK

I think IIS handler is not configured correctly.

What is the language of your website code?

On forum folder, test browsing html page to confirm problem is with IIS handler.

Jul 01, 2012 02:48 AM|Atrosis|LINK

Forum folder? Where is that located.

Jul 04, 2012 07:24 PM|Atrosis|LINK

Bump. Issue still unresolved.

Jul 09, 2012 12:01 AM|Atrosis|LINK

Bump again. I attempted to "create" a path as the error states there is no path, but when I do so I receive a new error. HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map. Detailed Error Information Module StaticFileModule Notification ExecuteRequestHandler Handler StaticFile Error Code 0x80070032 Requested URL http://services.runescape.com:80/m=forum/forums.ws Physical Path C:\inetpub\wwwroot\m=forum\forums.ws Logon Method Anonymous Logon User Anonymous Most likely causes: It is possible that a handler mapping is missing. By default, the static file handler processes all content. The feature you are trying to use may not be installed. The appropriate MIME map is not enabled for the Web site or application. (Warning: Do not create a MIME map for content that users should not download, such as .ASPX pages or .config files.) If ASP.NET is not installed. Obviously I knew that something as simple as this solution would not work, but just some additional information. Again, issue unresolved.

Jul 23, 2012 07:46 PM|Atrosis|LINK

Issue still unresolved.. :( Can't anybody help?