We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Advanced Logging on a Web Farm (Shared Configuration)RSS

3 replies

Last post Feb 21, 2015 12:16 PM by jbruns2011

• Advanced Logging on a Web Farm (Shared Configuration)

Jun 08, 2012 03:49 PM|JimFoster|LINK

I am trying to find out if it is possible to use Advanced Logging on a web farm that uses Shared Configuration. We are running Windows 2008 R2 and after the install I do not see the icon for it in the IIS Manager. I have successfully installed and configured it on our Dev web server, which does NOT use Shared Configuration. Can anyone confirm if this is the case, or am I doing something wrong. Thank you, Jim

Advanced Logging Shared Configuration

• Re: Advanced Logging on a Web Farm (Shared Configuration)

Jun 08, 2012 11:31 PM|peterviola|LINK

This Advanced Logging installation guide doesn't specify Shared Config in the Known Issues section.

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/1035/advanced-logging-readme/ 

Did you disable Shared Config on the web nodes before the installation of Advanced logging and perhaps reboot the nodes?

Peter Viola
    MCTIP,MCSA
    Please 'Mark as Answer' if this post helps you.

www.peterviola.com

Jun 19, 2012 11:33 AM|JimFoster|LINK

Well, it does appear to run in a shared configuration setting, but I had to turn off the shared configuration to install it. After it was installed, I could re-enable the shared configuration and when I configured one web server, they were all configured, as expected.

Feb 21, 2015 12:16 PM|jbruns2011|LINK

Before 8.5, you had to install the add-on as a separate MSI but now in 8.5, it is part of the product.  What I am wondering is, can additional header fields be added to the logging without worrying about if shared config is on or not.  My guess is no.

The advanced logging MSI would not even install if it saw IIS shared config turned on.