Diamond character with question mark [Answered]RSS

6 replies

Last post May 14, 2012 11:23 AM by Gaurav03

• Diamond character with question mark

May 03, 2012 01:56 AM|Gaurav03|LINK

Hi All, Recently we have moved our html website from linux server (Apache) to windows server 2003 ( IIS6.0) website is completely working fine. but french or greek character codes like pound or euro sign displays as diamond character with question mark. can somebody help me on this ?

Classical ASP iis6 IIS 6 utf-8 ASP 1.1 Classic .asp framework

• Re: Diamond character with question mark

May 03, 2012 04:13 AM|fab777|LINK

Hi,

it's an characters encoding issue.

You have (at least) 2 options to solve this issue :

1. you modify the encoding in the webpages... could be long...

2. you modify the default encoding for IIS in the website properties, mime types section.

This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties... But you can still mark it as answer if it's helped you.
    Fabrice ZERROUKI
    Wanna chill out? Here: JAHSound.net

May 03, 2012 07:48 AM|Gaurav03|LINK

Hi, Thanks for replying. I did this settings now website with ISO-8859-1 charset is working fine. but when i going to add website with utf-8 charset it is displaying diamond charater with question mark.

May 04, 2012 03:56 AM|fab777|LINK

There is actually thre way to fix the charset:

1. you modify the encoding in the webpages according website/iis charset config > will affect only this site

2. you modify the default encoding for IIS in the website properties, mime types section according to the webpages charset config > will affect only this site

3.  you modify the default encoding for IIS in the server properties, mime types section > will affect all sites on the server (current, and future ones)

This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties... But you can still mark it as answer if it's helped you.
    Fabrice ZERROUKI
    Wanna chill out? Here: JAHSound.net

May 08, 2012 08:52 AM|Gaurav03|LINK

Hi , Thanks for the suggestions. but i already did above steps but there is no luck. Is there any other way we can add multiple MIME for single extension. e.g. .htm text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 .html text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 .htm text/html; charset=utf-8 .html text/html; charset=utf-8

May 10, 2012 05:04 AM|Dalong Zhang - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no way to add multiple MIME types for single extension with different encoding pattern

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    Feedback to us

May 14, 2012 11:23 AM|Gaurav03|LINK

Hi,

Thanks again for replying back to me.

One more question. if I remove .htm and .html externsion from iis server MIME types. Then how websites will work.

Does websites used default MIME type or it will used mime type that is described in html coding. ?

Once again thanks for the info. 

Thanks

Gaurav