Intranet Site showing as under construction when not on network [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Jun 04, 2012 04:12 PM by peterviola

• Intranet Site showing as under construction when not on network

Apr 16, 2012 03:15 PM|anee1987|LINK

I have a classic ASP site hosted on Windows 2000 using IIS 5.0. The issue is that everything works great when on network but when I try to access the site outside network( like my home network) I see that the intranet site is under construction. Logically I should not see the site at all, but why is that I am able to hit the IIS when not on network. Can someone help me out on this.

• Re: Intranet Site showing as under construction when not on network

Apr 17, 2012 05:34 AM|lextm|LINK

Well, are you sure you were not landing on a completely different box? Learn about network capture tools, such as Microsoft Network Monitor or Wireshark, and then utilize them to track down your requests.
    Lex Li
    IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Apr 17, 2012 04:08 PM|anee1987|LINK

Well it ended up being a whole new problem now. The website we are hitting is a sub domain sd.domain.com  of an internet site ( domain.com). I am not able to find this sub domain in IIS to delete it. When I try to access this subdomain I get Page under construction issue, which should not happen.

Any inputs on this.

Apr 18, 2012 10:09 PM|Lloydz|LINK

As Lex mentioned, network capture tools are the first thing I would try to track down this issue. Since your site are intranet ones, I doubt whether they are exactly resolved to the ones hosted on your 2000 server as you thought, As recommended, tools like netmon could show more details.

Thanks.

Jun 04, 2012 04:12 PM|peterviola|LINK

It sounds like it could be a DNS issue. Ping the host name from your PC then use a 3rd party site like dnsstuff.com to check the IP of the site. If they're different then you know there's a configuration issue. 

Try to RDP to the IP and see if you can login to the server. Ensure that the PC you're working on doesn't have the host name configured in the local hosts file.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Peter Viola
    MCTIP SA, EST, DBA 2008
    MCSA Windows Server 2012

Please 'Mark as Answer' if this post helps you.

www.peterviola.com