We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

WebMatrix crashes on Startup [Answered]RSS

9 replies

Last post Dec 14, 2012 08:13 AM by tim_radford

• WebMatrix crashes on Startup

Mar 01, 2012 08:35 AM|lrobb|LINK

Simply throws up a dialog saying "WebMatrix has stopped working". 

Event logs:

Faulting application name: WebMatrix.exe, version: 7.1.1307.1, time stamp: 0x4e694933
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e211319
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000b9bc
    Faulting process id: 0xb04
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ccf7726801c3b1
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft WebMatrix\WebMatrix.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: a68e0feb-6365-11e1-8131-b88d12416f5d

and...

Application: WebMatrix.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ApplicationException
    Stack:
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.WebMatrixShellApplication.InitializeServicesAndProxy(Boolean, Boolean, Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.ShellMainWPF)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.WebMatrixShellApplication.Execute(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.ShellApplicationHelper.Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.Interop.IShellApplication.Execute(Int32)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.ShellApplicationHelper.Execute()
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.EntryPoint.Main()

Note: WebMatrix is unable to write a log to AppData

WebMatrix

• Re: WebMatrix crashes on Startup

Mar 01, 2012 11:41 AM|Eraknelo|LINK

Hello Irobb,

I have the same problem and error message right now, but I am trying Windows 8 Customer Preview, so I figured I can't really complain.

Check out this thread: http://forums.iis.net/p/1187642/2015852.aspx
    I think they're having some problems with the installer. As you can see in the error message aswell, "at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.WebMatrixShellApplication.InitializeServicesAndProxy(...", it definately looks like some service or something not booting up, it might be the dependency component that fails to install at the WebMatrix Beta 2 installation.

I'll still be looking for a temporary solution, but until then, I think we'll have to wait until Microsoft fixes it ;)

Good luck,
    René

EDIT:
    Irobb, do you currently have Visual Studio 11 Beta installed? I noticed I started having problems with WebMatrix on Windows 7 when I installed it alongside. I am currently uninstalling it on my Windows 8 where I have also installed it before WebMatrix.
    Let me know, might've found the source. I will let you know if uninstalling Visual Studio 11 Beta helped.

EDIT 2:
    Unfortunately, uninstalling Visual Studio 11 Beta did not change anything. Once again though, I am on Windows 8 Customer Preview, so I won't complain about unsupportedness.

Mar 01, 2012 12:50 PM|lrobb|LINK

Yes... Unfortunately it started after upgrading several items at once... and I believe vs2011 preview was a part of that... Also maybe webPI itself... I've tried uninstalling various packages and reinstalling webmatrix, no luck.

Mar 01, 2012 01:36 PM|Eraknelo|LINK

Yeah, it's pretty vague.

I'll keep at it, I need WebMatrix for school, and in my personal opinion, it is the best web-delevopment tool out there.

Mar 01, 2012 02:06 PM|Eraknelo|LINK

Good news! I found a way to get WebMatrix 1.0 installed and working!
    Instructions:

First, uninstall: "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 x64 ENU CTP1".
    Because it will try to install an earlier version, and that will fail because it says a later version is installed and therefor not install WebMatrix.

1. Uninstall Web Platform Installer
    2. Uninstall WebMatrix Beta 2
    3. Uninstall IIS 7.5 Express
    4. (If you installed PHP for WebMatrix) Delete the remaining PHP folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express
    5. Install Web Platform Installer 3.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx)
    6. Install WebMatrix 1 from the Web Platform Installer 3.0
    6. (If desired) Install PHP for WebMatrix from the Web Platform Installer 3.0

Regards,
    René

EDIT:
    If you still need "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 x64 ENU CTP1", you can install it again after the process. (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29037)

Mar 01, 2012 06:24 PM|ChrisSfanos|LINK

Hi folks

As you are seeing, there is a known issue with Dev 11 Beta and WM 2 Beta.  We are actively working on an update to WM 2 Beta to address this - I anticipate this will be released early next week

Thanks!

Chris

Chris Sfanos
    Web Platform Installer PM

May 04, 2012 05:56 PM|ThanksInAdvance|LINK

Any progress on this yet?  Fwiw I can't get Webmatrix to run (can't find download for anything but WM2 beta) AND can't get SQL Server 2008 or 2012 to create database diagrams.  Not entirely sure they are related but I think so and am pretty much exhausted from trying fixes.

Aug 03, 2012 03:28 PM|margieKat|LINK

I'm having a very similar problem to yours except that it doesn't occur at startup.  I upgraded from WebMatrix1 to WebMatrix2 and Visual Studio 2010 Express.  Now, when I'm editing a module and select "Launch in browser" to check my code changes, the window grays and the "WebMatrix has stopped working" message is displayed.  This is accompanied by the following two errors:  (the first error is almost identical to yours - just a different Faulting process id)

Description:
    Faulting application name: WebMatrix.exe, version: 7.1.1587.0, time stamp: 0x4fe2caee
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e211319
    Fault offset: 0x0000b9bc
    Faulting process id: 0x804
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd7144f18a44af
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft WebMatrix\WebMatrix.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 82ae6dd1-dd96-11e1-b167-00188bbc6b37

and...

Description:
    Exception Info: System.AggregateException
    Stack:
       at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskExceptionHolder.Finalize()

Has any progress been made on this problem?

troubleshoot WebMatrix IIS Express Visual Studio 2010 webpages web matrix crash editor stopped working webpage web matrix error web Web development webmatrix crash htmleditor files workspace WebMatrix Beta 2 Webmatrix 2.0 Beta problem launch WebMatrix 2 Beta Refresh HTML 5 webmatrix2 WebMatrix 2 webmatrix 2.0 Launch in browser Message "WebMatrix has stopped working"

Aug 04, 2012 05:31 PM|margieKat|LINK

Hi: 

Just a couple of quick notes on further research.  If execute my local webpages in Visual Studio 2010 Express (using "View in Browser" option) I have none of the problems I had  in WebMatrix2.  WebMatrix2 couldn't find my web server either whereas Visual Studio 2010 Express has absolutely no problems.

I hadn't really paid too much attention to the release of IIs express I'd installed but when I checked I was surprised to discover it's 6.0.  Could that be part of (or most of) the problem?

I've got a tight schedule, so I'm going to work in VS 2010 Express unless there are problems I don't anticipate.  Once my required work is complete, I'll go back and upgrade my IIs Express level and see if it makes a difference.

webmatrix2 Message "WebMatrix has stopped working" Visual Studio Web Developer 2010 Express

Dec 14, 2012 08:13 AM|tim_radford|LINK

I upgraded to WebMatrix Refresh 2 and have not been able to get it to work since. It also crashes on start-up.

===

Faulting application name: WebMatrix.exe, version: 7.1.1692.0, time stamp: 0x509e0161
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17965, time stamp: 0x506dbd3f
    Fault offset: 0x0000c6e3
    Faulting process id: 0x1f48
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd9fb5b526e80
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft WebMatrix\WebMatrix.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 9d17c590-45ee-11e2-8227-58b0358cc65a

----
    Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
    Stack:
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.TaskServiceImplementation.InvokeOnMTA[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Func`1<System.__Canon>)
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.Server.ModuleService.InvokeOnMTA[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Func`2<ExecutionContext,System.__Canon>)
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.Server.FrameworkModuleService.GetWebManagementInfo(Boolean, Boolean)
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.WebMatrixShellApplication.InitializeModules(Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.Server.FrameworkModuleService)
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.WebMatrixShellApplication.Execute(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.ShellApplicationHelper.Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.Interop.IShellApplication.Execute(Int32)
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Core.ShellApplicationHelper.Execute()
    at Microsoft.WebMatrix.EntryPoint.Main(System.String[])

==

There is no option to uninstall it, so I can't try the suggestion above.

Any suggestions welcome

Tim