No icons in Server Farm | Feature View [Answered]RSS

6 replies

Last post Jan 30, 2012 10:12 AM by richma

• No icons in Server Farm | Feature View

Jan 26, 2012 12:05 AM|SurferDad57|LINK

I have installed ARR on a W2K8R2 Web Edition server.  I have created a new server farm with two active servers, but when I select the farm the Features View pane is empty.  Thanks for any insight.
  • Re: No icons in Server Farm | Feature View

Jan 26, 2012 12:40 AM|SurferDad57|LINK

Update:

I set the app pool to run as local system and the icons now show up.  Shouldn't the ApplicationPoolIdentity have rights to the .\assembly folder?

Jan 26, 2012 10:03 AM|richma|LINK

Are you looking at the features using Server Manager ? If so try IIS manager standalone ( InetMgr.exe)  and see if you see the features.

There is a known issue with this using ServerManager.

thanks

Richard

Jan 26, 2012 11:47 AM|SurferDad57|LINK

I have tried both and neither worked until I set the app pool to run as system.

Jan 27, 2012 12:06 PM|richma|LINK

This would seem like something in the default permissions are running

Here are the default permissions for IIS 7.x:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981949

When you referred to the .\assembly folder are you referring to C:\windows\Assembly and did you see that you were getting Access Denied on this ?

If you are unsure what folder is failing you can use Process Monitor  to check what folders/files that are being denied access when not running as system.

Jan 28, 2012 02:12 PM|SurferDad57|LINK

Thanks for your reply.  .\assembly is c:\windows\assembly.  I get access denied to the assembly directory when the default app pool is running as ApplicationPoolIdentity.  Reviewing the installation and configuration documentation on Technet I find no reference for default permission specific to ARR.  The easy answer is to simply grant execute to .\assembly.  What I really would like know is the correct configuration.  Is there any detailed documentation covering ARR instal/config?

Jan 30, 2012 10:12 AM|richma|LINK

There are no configuration steps specific to ARR here that would need to be followed , and I am not aware of anything added to the Assembly folder. In this case this seems to more of missing permissions specific to this machine setup that would affect any IIS module reading from the Assembly folder.