We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. [Answered]RSS

9 replies

Last post Jun 22, 2011 12:46 PM by dzirkelb

• 500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it can...

Jun 21, 2011 01:04 PM|dzirkelb|LINK

I migrated over to server 2008 (iis 7.5) from server 2003 (iis 6.0) and I am battling the 500 - Internal server error.

I have under the Debugging Properties in the asp section, everything set to True.  However, still on the client machine I receive the above error message instead of the true error message.  Running the page on the server itself shows the correct error message, but on my workstation, it does not.  This is a large pain to have to run the page on the server to get the error message, back to my workstation to change the code, then back to the server to test.

I'm not sure what else needs to be enabled to see the error message on my workstation.  I have friently http error messages turned off (have for years).

any ideas of what I am missing?

• Re: 500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it...

Jun 21, 2011 01:25 PM|HCamper|LINK

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011
  • Re: 500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it...

Jun 21, 2011 01:51 PM|dzirkelb|LINK

That looks like it would do what I want, but I'm really just looking for the error message to display, and nothing else.  just like iis 6.0 had it, and just like my server displays it currently.  Example would be :

Microsoft VBScript runtime

error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'dfg'

/test.asp, line 3

I just want that displayed, not any of the tracing options.  If, however, I have to jump through hoops to get this error message displayed on my workstation as it is displayed on the server, then I guess I will have to go that route.  Please confirm I have to do what you posted.

Jun 21, 2011 02:16 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hello,

You can use this as the Alternate http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/564/classic-asp-script-error-messages-no-longer-shown-in-web-browser-by-default/ 

which is more like IIS 6.0 and Windows 2003.

I would suggest you turn it off  Both on a Production Server.

Martin

Jun 21, 2011 05:17 PM|dzirkelb|LINK

That is what I am doing so far to display the error message on the server; however, when I enable it for client side debugging, I still get the 500 error.

Jun 22, 2011 12:23 AM|HCamper|LINK

Well in that case Failed Request Tracing and selecting the type 500 and verbose

and asp maybe be the best option.

Martin

Jun 22, 2011 01:56 AM|dotnetnerd|LINK

Could you please advise the full error message that you get on the server? Or please check http://windows2008hosting.asphostportal.com/post/IIS-70-Hosting-ASPHostPortal-Troubleshooting-HTTP-50019-Errors-in-IIS-7-Part-1.aspx.

Hope it helps!!

Jun 22, 2011 11:45 AM|dzirkelb|LINK

Ok.  I have enabled tracing and I can generate the xml file to view, but again, it is on the serve, and I can not see the trace log or the error message on the client, which I must be able to do.

Basically, I want to view a page and receive the true error, log error, whatever.  I do not want to have to view the page, receive the 500 error, then go to the server and view a log or reproduce the error to see what the message is.

I have no issues troubleshooting the actual error, I just need to be able to see it without having to go to another PC / Server install.

Jun 22, 2011 12:20 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hello,

Could you check this http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/267/how-to-use-http-detailed-errors-in-iis-70/ page

for the Work Flow for how messages are handled for Client and Server.

Please check the Figure 3 and the notes # 1 and # 2 for the over-ride settings and the Table description.

I think if you use the over-ride settings you will get the information you need?

Martin

Jun 22, 2011 12:46 PM|dzirkelb|LINK

Thanks for the article.  By reading it, It led me to the solution.  In my site (for my case, I have a test site no one else has access to), I went to Error Pages in IIS, click edit feature settings and then changed it to Detailed errors.  That sends the error message to the client computer.

Thanks!