We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

WebMatrix won't run [Answered]RSS

17 replies

Last post May 03, 2011 03:00 AM by tim_radford

• WebMatrix won't run

Apr 29, 2011 05:14 AM|tim_radford|LINK

Hello

WebMatrix crashes on start-up on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine. The error log is pasted below.

I cannot uninstall it as it does not appear on the Add/Remove programs list, and I cannot reinstall using WPI as it says it is already installed and the option is greyed out.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks Tim

--------

ResourceName:
    Microsoft.WebMatrix.Server.WebManagementServiceException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path1 ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: path1
       at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Server.ManagementUnit.get_StaticAdminConfigLocation()
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Server.ManagementUnit.CreateConfigurationMap(String appHostLocation)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Server.ManagementAdministrationConfiguration.GetModuleProviders()
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Server.ManagementAdministrationConfiguration..ctor(ManagementUnit managementUnit)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Server.ManagementUnit.GenerateModuleDefinitions()
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Client.SharedMemoryChannel.GetModuleServiceTable(ManagementUnit managementUnit)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Client.SharedMemoryChannel.InvokeInternal(String serviceName, String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Client.SharedMemoryChannel.MTAHelper.Execute(String serviceName, String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Client.SharedMemoryChannel.Invoke(String serviceName, String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Host.ConnectionManager.GetWebManagementInfo(Connection newConnection, Boolean retrieveModules, Boolean retrieveUrl)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Host.ConnectionManager.ActivateConnection(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Host.ConnectionManager.Microsoft.WebMatrix.Client.IConnectionManager.ActivateConnection(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Host.Shell.ShellMainWPF.ActivateWebMatrixLocalConnection()
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Host.Shell.ShellMainWPF..ctor(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, SplashScreen splash)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.Host.Shell.ShellApplication.Execute(Boolean localDevelopmentMode, Boolean resetPreferences, Boolean resetPreferencesNoLaunch, Boolean warmupMode)

web matrix

• Re: WebMatrix won't run

Apr 29, 2011 09:19 PM|simtan|LINK

Hello,

Have you ever been able to start WebMatrix successfully or did this start happening from the very first installation?

I would recommend uninstalling some of the other components of WebMatrix - for example "IIS Express" or "Web Deploy" - and trying to re-install the entire package again via WebPI.

Simon Tan
    Program Manager
    Web Platform and Tools

Apr 29, 2011 09:37 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hello,

Since your having uni-install problems "I cannot uninstall it as it does not appear on the Add/Remove programs list"

"and I cannot reinstall using" Web Platform or "WPI says it is already installed and the option is greyed out."

I suggest that you get a Repair Tool a good one is "CCLEANER" or also known as "CrapCleaner".

You can download the CCleaner from Piriform here http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner .

I suggest that you read the guide for CCleaner

at "How-To-Geeks"  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33408/ccleaner-3.0-adds-html5-cookie-cleaning-drive-wiping-and-64-bit-support/ .

You can use the CCleaner to Remove Stubborn programs from your Windows System.

After you use the CCLeaner you will need to restart to remove most of the programs.

After the Cleaning is done you then should check if you have Windows Installer Problems.

Check the Microsoft Download Center http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3db356d3-527e-433f-8c41-5295789ec8fe 

Automated Ms-Fix-it tools and download the Windows Update fix tool and then run the tool.

If you have no Windows Installer problems you can re-download the Web Platform and try installs again.

Martin

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011

Apr 30, 2011 05:23 PM|tim_radford|LINK

Hi Simon

Yes, I have run it before. I have uninstalled IIS Express, WPI and Web Deploy and reinstalled them but still get the error.

Thanks for replying

Tim

Apr 30, 2011 05:41 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hello,

Could you try running Web Matrix with different Desk Top Theme or Change Desk Top Resolution?

Could you check if the Windows Presentation Services are running before & after Web Matrix is launched? 

The Last error is when the Web Matrix tries to use Windows Presentation

to DIsplay the Splash Screen.

There are some posts in Web Matrix Forum for Graphics issues.

Martin

Apr 30, 2011 05:46 PM|tim_radford|LINK

Thanks for replying Martin

I had already tried CCleaner (I use that a lot). Interestingly, Microsoft's FixIt tools won't run either, that crashes with a different error due to a missing dll. I see that a lot of people have had a similar problem with that one http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fixitcenter/thread/d5aa7d3b-5c5e-41b5-b899-6f1fa9ad2113.

I have tried redownloading WPI but the problem persists.

The uninstall issue is not the real problem: that stopped me trying to do a reinstall. The real problem is that WebMatrix crashes on startup with an error "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1".

Tim

Apr 30, 2011 06:15 PM|HCamper|LINK

Ok.

Then you have problems with shared or missing dlls or corrupt installer cache.

Since you know about CCleaner you can add to the Tool Collection Erunt which you should download and

install. The Erunt can make a backup of Current Registery and System Configuration.

When you install Erunt install the Erunt Registry portion only the Registery Optomizer portion can cause

problems for Windows 7 or Vista.

Run the Erunt and make a backup before doing the remaining Repairs.

There are two routes to try and fix these types of issues:

A ) Go to the Microsoft Download Center and download  the System Readiness Tool ( size 100- 308 megs) OMG

and then run the Tool.

The System Readiness Tool will try and fix inconsistences for Windows Installer & Patches.

This Tool may take a long while to run. 

B) Run the Recovery for missing  files or corrupt dlls SFC /SCANNOW you wll need to have your system install

disk in the default drive that was used to install Windows 7.

This option / tool may take very long time depending on number of missing files and speed of system.

With any  luck you do not have corruption from Hard Disk or Hardware errors and the files should be corrected.

Martin

Apr 30, 2011 06:27 PM|tim_radford|LINK

Hi again

I have tried different themes and resolutions, and even tried safe mode.

I don't know what to check for regarding Windows Presentation services: there isn't a running service with that name.

Tim

Apr 30, 2011 06:36 PM|HCamper|LINK

Hello,

Sorry two services are "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache","Windows Font Cache" together

they make-up Windows Presentation Services.

Martin

Apr 30, 2011 06:37 PM|tim_radford|LINK

OK. I am downloading the System Readiness Tool and will give it a try

Apr 30, 2011 07:13 PM|HCamper|LINK

Ok, Hoping for the Best.

Martin

May 01, 2011 02:25 AM|tim_radford|LINK

Hi once again

I have run the System Readiness Tool for Windows 7, but still get the error: 

Web Matrix wont' start

Thanks for your continuing help.

web matrix

May 01, 2011 05:35 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hello,

Ok. At least you have Dialog that explains more.

Check this http://blogs.iis.net/divyaa/archive/2011/03/21/webmatrix-launch-failed-error-iis-7-5-express-could-not-be-initialized.aspx 

as the Post indicates have Registery Permissions issues so try the steps suggested.

Martin

May 01, 2011 05:29 PM|tim_radford|LINK

Thanks for the suggestion Martin but that appears to relate to a problem with IIS Express initialising. My error relates to WebMatrix.

Tim

May 02, 2011 01:41 PM|andrewbi|LINK

Hi Tim. Based on the callstack you posted WebMatrix is trying to read the installed location out of the registry but the registry key does not exist. The registry key is set by the WebMatrix MSI. Your corrupted WebMatrix install is the problem. You'll have to uninstall your current WebMatrix install using one of the tools suggested so you can install it again from a clean state and recreate the appropriate registry keys.

May 02, 2011 03:15 PM|tim_radford|LINK

Hi Andrew

I agree that a corrupt installation is the key, but I have failed to remove the application so far. Neither CCleaner nor the Microsoft Fix It tools worked.

Perhaps I could manually edit the registry key? Do you know what it should be?

Thanks for your help

Tim

May 02, 2011 06:34 PM|andrewbi|LINK

Yeah, under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WebMatrix (HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WebMatrix on 64 bit OS) make a string key called "InstallPath" and for the value set it to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft WebMatrix\" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft WebMatrix\ on a 64 bit OS). It's worth a shot but I imagine something else will break down the line since I imagine most (all) of the other registry keys are missing.

May 03, 2011 03:00 AM|tim_radford|LINK

Success!

Thanks Andrew, adding that key worked. I still don't see it in Add/Remove programs, but WebMatrix is now running.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Tim