We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Pointing Domain name to Home server [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Apr 07, 2011 07:28 AM by farnoise

• Pointing Domain name to Home server

Apr 06, 2011 03:14 PM|farnoise|LINK

Hi, I didn't work with DNS and NS that often and I have a new task to work on and I'm a little bit lost here sorry if I'm off the track. Here is the scenario: The company that I work for wants to Change it's Domain host from Godaddy to one of our own new Windows 2008 servers, so we want to host our own domain. we have 5 Dedicated IP from ISP and a WIN 2008 R2 Stndr on our .COM domain, so obviously what I need to do is point our .COM domain from godaddy to our Name Servers (NS1 and NS2.domain.com ) but I'm really confused how can I create these NS, and what is the process? if I need to do this in DNS setting how can I route the outside traffic to my IP then? Where should I start from? I know its a deep subject so If any one has any article or suggestion that I can read that would be great, I can use any help
  • Re: Pointing Domain name to Home server

Apr 06, 2011 08:37 PM|Topspy|LINK

Do you want to create DNS Server or just want to switch the website hosting? If you just need to use your company server to host your website you only require to point the domain A record to your new server IP via godaddy DNS system.

WebHostPark
    www.webhostpark.com

Apr 07, 2011 03:33 AM|KristoferG|LINK

If you want to change the name server for your domain, you need to contact your current domain host and ask them to change the NS record(s) to your name servers. Some let you do this yourself, and if that is possible, you should be able to set the NS record on your domain name administration page. So basically it is like this:

.com domain server holds information about your NS servers, so that people can find your domain.

yourdomain.com holds information about your domain and subdomains, but you cannot set the name server for your own domain yourself, this information must be in the name server for owner of ".com".

The communication goes like this:

Client: Ask .com name server where the name server for yourdomain.com is
    .com Name Server: Here is the IP address of the name server.
    Client: Ask yourdomain.com name server what the IP address of www.yourdomain.com is
    yourdomain.com name server: Here is the IP address.
    Client: Now i know how to connect to the webserver www.yourdomain.com

Only ICANN accrediated registrars can set the name server of your domain in the .com name server. Unless you are one (most likely not), you need to have someone doing this (maybe your current hoster).

Once you have changed to your own name servers, you are free to add whetever A records (and other records type as well of course) you want.

I hope you got some understanding out of this.

Kristofer Gafvert

http://www.it-notebook.org

Apr 07, 2011 07:26 AM|farnoise|LINK

Wow thanks a lot buddy, it all make sense now so i'll try to get my host company to change my NS to my static IPs so all the requests for my domain goes to my static address and from there its my DNS that directs the traffic between my servers. Thank you so much again

Apr 07, 2011 07:28 AM|farnoise|LINK

topspy

Do you want to create DNS Server or just want to switch the website hosting? If you just need to use your company server to host your website you only require to point the domain A record to your new server IP via godaddy DNS system.

I actually tried this at first but I receive a "not valid TLD error message" that's why i was so confused but with knowing that .COM needs to hardcode my IP it make sense