We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Information required on free website hosting services and server side software. [Answered]RSS

10 replies

Last post Jan 30, 2012 11:04 PM by necro_mancer

• Information required on free website hosting services and server side software.

Feb 08, 2011 03:22 PM|Emphacy|LINK

Howdy friends. I'm on the lookout for a free website hosting service. I have had a look at quite a few and well i'm not entirely sure about them, some seem too good to be true such as no advertisements but unlimited bandwidth and storage space, yea right! I do however though, need to find a web hosting service with no advertisements, I shall be using my own. In any case, I found one which runs dedicated UNIX servers, although I've never used Unix based servers, and i'm not sure how they work, I have only ever used IIS and Apache. Are there servers out there which run IIS, it's great for running on my home server, but my website is going to need a very high bandwidth which is something my home servers can not provide. How will they work? Is it possible for anyone to recommend a free hosting service to test my website online, before upgrading to a paid version on a proper server blade? I want to try and avoid all of the complications. Thanks for your info and advice, Tom.
  • Re: Information required on free website hosting services and server side software.

Feb 08, 2011 06:46 PM|simtan|LINK

Hello,

This is a great question - we think the best hosting offers would be listed in our Hosting Gallery. All of those hosting providers are using IIS. The ones marked with the "Spotlight" badge have additionally been verified by Microsoft to be running our latest server components.

It sounds like you might like a Dedicated Hosting offer, of which there are many. Not sure if there are any free offers up right now, but if there were they would be in the "Promotions" category.

Hope this helps!

Simon Tan
    Program Manager
    Web Platform and Tools
  • Re: Information required on free website hosting services and server side software.

Feb 09, 2011 12:22 AM|KristoferG|LINK

Hi,

The unix server probably uses Apache.

Anyway, i don't think you will find any reliable and good service that is free, without ads. It would not be a good business idea, how would they earn money?

I pay about $80/year for my web hosting (local hoster in Sweden), and i get email and SQL Server as well. That is not much, and i am sure you can find something similair in UK

Kristofer Gafvert

http://www.it-notebook.org

Apr 05, 2011 12:34 PM|tonyt42|LINK

Dedicated is by far the best choice.

Apr 16, 2011 01:54 PM|yeditepebilgisayar|LINK

$80/year? erscheint angemessen :)

Apr 16, 2011 07:22 PM|HCamper|LINK

Yes, Eighty Dollars US per year is at lot to spend.

Free Hosting / Hosted sites can have High Down Times or lack of Services.

If the Hoster / Hosted site services are good  it is money well spent.

Martin

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011

May 15, 2011 03:27 AM|WilliamCapuli|LINK

80$? that is too much. I think there are sites that offer cheap web hosting.

Oct 28, 2011 08:15 AM|luckyg|LINK

hi...

You are asking for free hosting..Free hosting does not have that much good features and most of the free hosting comes with advertisements. If suppose any problems occurred  customer support wont be there...And free hosting have  very limited bandwidth, storage and database.. But in paid hosting you can get many add-ons and expected configuration and features. Thewebpole.com is the online provider who gives reliable hosting. if you buy a domain here you will be given a free hosting and you can test your website here. But that free hosting with domain is Ad-supported. Here the paid hosting comes with unlimited bandwidth and storage..For more information you can visit the above website..

Nov 01, 2011 05:59 AM|HCamper|LINK

Hello @ Tom,

I know you have marked this answered.

To be fair to the users Searching via ( Goggle or Bing) 

Thread  http://forums.iis.net/p/1181819/1996834.aspx#1996834 and Web Site Hosting

has more options and choices.

Martin

Windows and Linux work Together IT-Pros
    Community Member Award 2011

Jan 04, 2012 12:42 AM|Rspeilberg|LINK

I am also searching a good hosting provider in cheap rates.

I have godaddy and bluehost in my mind. 

Any suggestions guys which to choose..

Thanks,

Richard

hosting provider

Jan 30, 2012 11:04 PM|necro_mancer|LINK

Hi Richard,

It depends on the location where you run your site and your target markets. If you are targeting markets in Europe, selecting a US-based server does not seem to be a good choice. Instead, you need to pick a server that is located in Europe. For an affordable European-based server, I would highly recommend hostforlife.eu and its plan starts from €3.00/month. This host earns spotlight status on http://www.microsoft.com/web/hosting/home and obviously, you are more than welcome to review other hosts on this ASP.NET recommended forums.

Hope this helps.