Ingest limitations? [Answered]RSS

10 replies

Last post Aug 17, 2011 02:58 AM by Anna.K.

• Ingest limitations?

Jan 07, 2011 07:10 AM|meemee|LINK

Hi, we have noticed that we can't run more than ~10 publishing points in Started mode simultaneously. If starting an 11th none of them will play. I guess the no of PPs is depending on bitrate. It is not the NIC traffic capacity which is the limit here since I can see that it's only utilizing a few %. Is this limitation only on ingest or will we see the same behavious on the Edge servers as well? Can I have one server per 10 ingest publishing points but still have all ingest servers pushing to the same edge servers? How does this work? KR, Anne

publishing ingest

• Re: Ingest limitations?

Jan 07, 2011 01:34 PM|samzhang|LINK

Do you ASP.Net running on the IIS server? If yes, can you try uninstalling ASP.Net and see if it still has the limit?

Jan 10, 2011 09:21 AM|meemee|LINK

I will try this. Is this a known issue? I heard our CDN partner has the same problem. Is it only on ingest IISS or also on Edge IIS?

Jan 10, 2011 01:54 PM|samzhang|LINK

There was an known issue with a particular ASP.net version. If removing ASP.net solves the problem, that's probably it.

Jan 11, 2011 12:21 AM|meemee|LINK

So without ASP.NET there is no limitation on amount of Started publishing points, other than the NIC capacity?

Jan 11, 2011 12:56 AM|samzhang|LINK

There is no such limitation built-in in the live smooth streaming module itself. You should be only limited to the resource of your machine.

Mar 29, 2011 12:59 AM|Nicolas.Drouin|LINK

Hi Sam,

Which version, specifically, of ASP .Net creates a conflict? 

Thanks,

-Nick

Mar 29, 2011 03:57 AM|samzhang|LINK

See this article for detail: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tmarq/archive/2007/07/21/asp-net-thread-usage-on-iis-7-0-and-6-0.aspx

It has to do with the MaxConcurrentReqeustsPerCPU setting.

Mar 29, 2011 04:43 AM|meemee|LINK

Hi, I am running WS08 SP2 (NOT R2!) and .NET 3.5 SP1. It is only used for smooth streaming the server does not do anythng else. Is this value needed in the registry then: maxConcurrentThreadsPerCPU="0" ? Do I need to add the DWORD in the registry AND update the ‘aspnet.config’ or is the registry the only location needed? Thanks

Mar 29, 2011 05:30 PM|samzhang|LINK

For ASP.NET v2.0 through v3.5 SP1, the recommendation is to set MaxConcurrentRequestsPerCPU=5000.  Nothing else needs to be set, in particular, do not set MaxConcurrentThreadsPerCPU.

Aug 17, 2011 02:58 AM|Anna.K.|LINK

Hi,

We have made clean installation of:

Windows 2k8 R2 Enterprise

Windows 2k8 Datacenter Edition

Windows 2k8 SP2 Enterprise

ASP.NET 3.5 feature was not installed.

However, we run into the issues while publishing streams, looks like we see the limitation issue described above

Once we reach some number of streams, we see the following messages in the event log:

Event ID: 3012 Error: Incoming data to the publishing point exceeded its processing capacity..

Event ID: 3012 Error: The specified network name is no longer available.  - 0X80070040.

Please let us know how we can fix this.

Regards,

Ann