Suggestion for default web.config content [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Dec 08, 2010 12:16 PM by DmitriG

• Suggestion for default web.config content

Dec 06, 2010 01:21 PM|DmitriG|LINK

It would be greate if web.config files generated by WebMatrix would have line "<modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true">". This will help with deployment of WebMatrix apps to "full" IIS 7 servers (i.e. hosting providers).

Regards,

Dmitri Gaikovoi
  • Re: Suggestion for default web.config content

Dec 06, 2010 05:25 PM|simtan|LINK

We believe that turning that setting on will slow down every request for any type of file from php to jpg... Does not having this setting break an application of yours?

Simon Tan
    Program Manager
    Web Platform and Tools

Dec 07, 2010 10:00 AM|DmitriG|LINK

simtan

Does not having this setting break an application of yours?
    Yes, without this setting, WebMatrix application uploaded to regular IIS 7 server (with default .net 4.0 installation) generates 404 errors since URLs are SEO-friendly and no URL re-write rules exist. (Probably you can fix it by adding re-write rules to templates), 

simtan

We believe that turning that setting on will slow down every request for any type of file from php to jpg...
    Server wide - definitely YES, it will affect performance. But if it exist in application level web.config it should be fine.For clarification, I'm talking about web.config files in the WebMatrix templates (like Gallery application). These things (templates) suppose to make end-user life easier, application uploaded to hoster server should run without additional “complicated” tuning.It also will help you (Microsoft) to fulfill a statement “… this (IIS Developer Express) is fully compatible with the release versions of IIS, so if my code works on this it will work on any IIS…” (see “Introduction to WebMatrix” video http://mediadl.microsoft.com/mediadl/www/s/silverlight/video/web/webmatrix/intro.mp4 at 4:30).

Regards,

Dmitri Gaikovoi

Dec 07, 2010 03:40 PM|simtan|LINK

We haven't seen this problem with any of our own site templates or Web Application Gallery apps, so we don't feel it is necessary to change the web.config for all users... And there is a workaround to add rewrite rules as you noted.

Also, perhaps you may be missing this Extensionless URL hotfix for IIS?

Extensionless URL Hotfix
    • This hotfix is required for ASP.NET Web Pages to function correctly. It is discussed further in this blog post.
    Simon Tan
    Program Manager
    Web Platform and Tools

Dec 08, 2010 12:16 PM|DmitriG|LINK

simtan

Also, perhaps you may be missing this Extensionless URL hotfix for IIS?

Yes, it is not installed since Windows Update never offered it on our Windows 2008 Web Servers. I will try to install it this week to see how is it going to work.

Thanks for tip ;-)

Regards,

Dmitri Gaikovoi