We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Can Front Page Server Extensions and WebDAV Live Happily on the Same Server? [Answered]RSS

2 replies

Last post Nov 30, 2010 03:22 PM by Philbert T. Rupkins

• Can Front Page Server Extensions and WebDAV Live Happily on the Same Server?

Nov 30, 2010 02:22 PM|Philbert T. Rupkins|LINK

Just wondering if Front Page Server Extensions and WebDAV can live happily together on the same W2K3/IIS6 server.  I have been tasked with migrating our web publishing technologies from FPSE to WebDAV and my plan is to:

1. <div mce_keep="true">Enable WebDAV on the server currently hosting FPSE. </div>
    2. <div mce_keep="true">Allow users to continue publish using FPSE via SharePoint Designer 2007.</div>
    3. <div mce_keep="true">Remove  FPSE (partial uninstall) on a site by site basis.  A partial uninstall will leave the NTFS permissions assigned via FPSE.</div>
    4. <div mce_keep="true">Immediately after removing FPSE from a site, configure the website to allow for publishing via WebDAV (configure appropriate website permissions).</div>
    5. <div mce_keep="true">Assign NTFS permissions if necessary.  I should not have to do anything as the NTFS permissions assigned by FPSE will still be in place.</div>

Is this an OK plan?  I am most concerned with 1) FPSE and WebDAV playing nicely together and 2) the NTFS permissions assigned by FPSE being adequate in a WebDAV world.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

-Phil

WebDav Publishing Front Page Server Extensions

• Re: Can Front Page Server Extensions and WebDAV Live Happily on the Same Server?

Nov 30, 2010 02:45 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

Should be fine.

Philbert T. Rupkins

2) the NTFS permissions assigned by FPSE being adequate in a WebDAV world.

The permissions set by FPSE are ugly!  It creates local groups for each web.  They should work (please test) but you may want to reorganize them.

• Re: Can Front Page Server Extensions and WebDAV Live Happily on the Same Server?

Nov 30, 2010 03:22 PM|Philbert T. Rupkins|LINK

Thanks for the response! 

Leveraging existing FPSE permissions, while ugly, is the most efficient approach.  FPSE permissions were already assigned to Active Directory groups so that is a plus.  Ideally, we wont have to make a change to any of the NTFS permissions but you are correct...they look very ugly.  I think a secondary goal of the project will be to assign standard NTFS permissions to the existing AD groups used for web publishing.