We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

certificates and host headers [Answered]RSS

2 replies

Last post Nov 08, 2010 03:40 PM by snarasingh

• certificates and host headers

Oct 27, 2010 11:36 AM|snarasingh|LINK

I have the following scenario. (in iis 7.5 windows server 2008 r2)

client1.mydomain.com with ip 192.x.x.x

and then i added host header as

client2.mydomain.com with same ip.

I have installed the certificate issued by verisign for client1.mydomain.com and I did the binding. If I browse the client2.mydomain.com then I am getting certificate error. (mismatched address error) 

i tried to use something like this

appcmd set site /site.name:"client1.domain.com" /+bindings.[protocol='https',bindingInformation='192.xx.xx.xx:443:client2.domain.com']

But still not working. Any help in understanding these issue and fixing will be helpful.

Thanks,

IIS 7 hosting architecture Host Name domain name domain host header subdomain client certificate mismatched address error ssl multitenant

• Re: certificates and host headers

Oct 28, 2010 11:19 AM|jeff@zina.com|LINK

Host headers don't work with certs.  You got a cert for client1 and any request for client2 just will never match client1.  Otherwise certs would be useless.

Jeff

Have you Binged a solution before posting?
  • Re: certificates and host headers

Nov 08, 2010 03:40 PM|snarasingh|LINK

I got some idea. Host header will work if we get wild card ssl certificats. (*.domain) This will be useful for multi tenant architecture. think about webex. I'm sure they will not have separate website for different clients.