Manage Credentials or Password Protected Publishing Point [Answered]RSS

7 replies

Last post Mar 24, 2011 04:57 PM by taptap

• Manage Credentials or Password Protected Publishing Point

Oct 17, 2010 08:22 PM|taptap|LINK

I have tried adding credentials using the Manage Credentials options, but somehow it is not working so either I am understanding it wrong, or its not working. Here is what i want to do:

1) Create a publishing point.
    2) Assign user id and password - attachng it to this publishing point.

So when the client EE4 Pro enters the URL in the Publishing URL and clicking Connect, it should popup the User Id and password dialog to authenticate.

How can i do this?

Environment:
    Windows Server 2008 Standard
    IIS 7 (Media Services 3)
    EE4 Pro

• Re: Manage Credentials or Password Protected Publishing Point

Oct 18, 2010 04:38 PM|samzhang|LINK

The "Manage Credentials" link on the publishing point is for credentials of remote publishing points that this one will either pull streams from or push streams to. For configuring your current publishing point, you need to do it at the IIS level and set the authentication and authorization rules accordingly. To IIS, publishing points are .isml files that can be managed the same way as other files.

Oct 19, 2010 05:18 PM|taptap|LINK

That works. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2011 11:59 PM|taptap|LINK

***** Sorry for the question too early, found bug in our code, issue resolved. 

Reopening the same thread as seeing some issues with same publishing point that has worked, so not sure could be due to any updates or something else and need help.

Authentication is set on the .isml file, so that when the client click Connect from the EE4 Pro - Connect button to a publishing point, it prompts for the user id and password. That works as the client can connect and send the feed normally. Details section on IIS shows the coming feed as well.

Now when we request through the browser as our URL + <file>.isml/manifest - It is asking for userid and password. We don't want that, how can we do that?

Two users have access to this file, one Application pool identity user and the custom users that is used for connecting through encoder to a publishing point.

Thanks,

Mar 14, 2011 04:29 PM|samzhang|LINK

Sorry for replying late. Yes, it's possible to only force authentication for encoder connections but not the client requests. The way to do it is to use the combination of authentication and authorization. You can enable both anonymous authentication and another authentication of your choice. Then in the authorization rules, set allow everyone for GET requests but only allow a selective group of users for POST requests. Basically you can distinguish encoder connections from client requests based on HTTP verbs (POST vs. GET).

Mar 24, 2011 04:47 PM|taptap|LINK

Yes, that has worked perfectly well. Thank you for your suggestion.

This is still revealing the publishing-point and I have seen people trying to get to the end-point to publish and disrupt the stream when the client is in idle state. Is there another way whereby I can hide the publishing point. For example: send a feed to publishing point 1 but let the viewers watch it using 2, which is somehow protected to not receive the streams?

Thanks,

Mar 24, 2011 04:51 PM|samzhang|LINK

If I understand your question correctly, I think what you can do is to have a publishing point 1 taking in encoder streams but only configured to allow server connection (no client request is allowd). Then have publishing point 1 push all streams to publishing point 2 which can be exposed to outside clients.

Mar 24, 2011 04:57 PM|taptap|LINK

Yes, Perfect. Found this article

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/690/syndicating-live-smooth-streams-between-servers/

Thank you for quick response.