We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Is it possible to synchronize windows service with WFFRSS

2 replies

Last post Oct 04, 2010 11:00 AM by boveyking

• Is it possible to synchronize windows service with WFF

Sep 28, 2010 03:56 PM|boveyking|LINK

I am confused with the following 2 questions, Could somebody please  clarify for me.

1.Is there any way that WFF  application provision mechanism  can synchronize a windows service (not web application)  from primary server to secondary servers if  the windows service is deployed in the primary server?

2. Can we use Platform Installer to  install our home made components, or there is customized way to do that?

Thanks.

• Re: Is it possible to synchronize windows service with WFF

Oct 01, 2010 01:31 AM|Singh.Gurpreet|LINK

You can use WFF to synchronize windows services, but if you simply copying the files over and calling installutil, the services might fail because many of them would be depending on the configuration which would have not been copied. But if still you want to do, you can write a custom provider which should get the list of services which are installed on the primary server. Then it should go to each secondary boxes, get the list of services installed, find out the differences of services not present of the secondary and use msdeploy to copy files and call installutil.

You can look at this article to find out how you can create your custom feed.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks,

• Re: Is it possible to synchronize windows service with WFF

Oct 04, 2010 11:00 AM|boveyking|LINK

Thanks for your reply Singh Gurpreet. But I can not find suitable provider to copy files from primary to secondaries.Do I have to write custom provider for this purpose?

Thank you.