We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

How to fully uninstall IIS 7.5? [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Jun 10, 2011 03:33 PM by shackjohn

• How to fully uninstall IIS 7.5?

Aug 04, 2010 11:27 AM|Tharriso|LINK

I'm doing some testing of an unattended IIS install and I've noticed that when I uninstall that it doesn't fully remove everything. For example, if I create a website named test, then remove the web server role completely using Server Manager, and then re-install IIS, the test website will appear again. I'm trying to determine why that is and what needs to be done in order to fully and cleanly remove IIS 7.x? I've also tried removing the WAS feature prior to uninstalling IIS, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
  • Re: How to fully uninstall IIS 7.5?

Aug 04, 2010 02:51 PM|Tharriso|LINK

Ok, I finally figured this out and got IIS to cleanly uninstall/reinstall. Hopefully this helps someone else. Here's what I had to do:

1. Remove Web Server role. Reboot. 2. Upon reboot allow uninstall to complete. 3. Uninstall Windows Process Activation feature. Reboot. 4. Upon reboot allow uninstall to complete. 5. Reinstall IIS.

What I found was that if I removes the Windows Process Activation feature before I removed the Web Server role, then it would still remember my previous websites. The websites would show up in the UI, but will not start and the only items that show up in the Features view are those that are listed in the Management group. Weird.

Aug 04, 2010 02:55 PM|Tharriso|LINK

Here's an example of the ghost site that will still show up even after uninstall/reinstall unless you follow the above steps:

Jun 10, 2011 03:33 PM|shackjohn|LINK

Thanks for this.

I had a similar situation but my follow-on experience was a little different.

I stopped the Windows Process Activation Service prior to uninstalling IIS 7.5.  When I did that and rebooted after the IIS 7.5 uninstall (and removed the 'inetpub' directory), the ghost sites did not appear with the next installation of 7.5.