Dev Domain Scenarios - Upload/Publish to a site sub-folder [Answered]RSS

2 replies

Last post Jul 12, 2010 11:28 AM by tzmedia

• Dev Domain Scenarios - Upload/Publish to a site sub-folder

Jul 08, 2010 02:18 PM|tzmedia|LINK

I would like to upload something built with WM to a site and just place it in a sub-folder, such as domainname.com/dev/WM-site/. Is this possible, would it make any changes to the domain, also would there be permissions issues? Also I think the asp.net version on this server is only updated to 3.5, is this a problem? Would SQL CE be available for example, or would any features be available? Thanks, looks awesome, Visual Studio as long been a stumbling block for me to the "on-ramp".

Sub-Folder Installations

• Re: Dev Domain Scenarios - Upload/Publish to a site sub-folder

Jul 09, 2010 06:23 PM|krolson|LINK

If you want to publish to a sub-folder - you can do this by specifying the path in the Publish>Configure dialog - for site put <site from hosting provider>/subfoldername and your application will publish to subfoldername.  You may need to use this in the URL as well - <URL from hosting provider (like http://site.server.net)>/subfoldername.

I am not sure what permissions issues you would expect.

Probably the main issues you would see with the server having .NET 3.5 is that some applications, like SQL CE applications/Razor apps will require a .NET 4.0 application pool, while other applications are not yet configured to use .NET 4.0.  Often you will have the option in the hosting provider control panel to change your application pool between 3.5 and 4.0, but if you are publishing multiple applications to different subfolders, and you only have 1 application pool for the site, it will have to be either 3.5 or 4.0, and all the applications on the site will have to work with the same .NET app pool version.

• Re: Dev Domain Scenarios - Upload/Publish to a site sub-folder

Jul 12, 2010 11:28 AM|tzmedia|LINK

Awesome, that answers this question and the next.

I was attempting to figure out if asp.net 3.5 would work at all, and why or why not.

My dev personal server host has upgraded my account to enable asp.net 4, I probably should enquire to be sure it's also MVC 2 ready as well.

They do have the Plesk control panel and I should be able to switch to whichever application pool version asp.net I like.

I may just set up a sub-domain, to keep the code and debugging as isolated and simple as possible.

Thanks so much great answer!

asp.net version required