Web Matrix FTP Suggestion [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Jul 20, 2010 11:26 PM by simtan

• Web Matrix FTP Suggestion

Jul 06, 2010 06:26 PM|rjaspnet|LINK

Sometimes I just need a lightweight web editor to make changes to a single web page. It would be nice if WebMatrix made it easier to open up a single page (as opposed to an entire site) and be able to connect to a site through FTP and upload that one page.
  • Re: Web Matrix FTP Suggestion

Jul 06, 2010 08:31 PM|don.raman|LINK

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I am pretty sure we will have this discussed internally in our feature team meeting. I believe you are talking about editing a file on the client machine and publishing it on the publish server (remote server) where you are hosting your site.

In the meantime is't not very difficult to edit one file. Here are the steps:

• <div mce_keep="true">Open the file in the editor in WebMatrix</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Edit and save it.</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Test that everything is working on the local server.</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Now just hit the publish button again. All your previous settings are remembered and so there is no need to re-type all the things again. While publishing for the first time if you have chekced the box to remember password, that also gets remembered.</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Publish is incremental and will not transfer the entire content again but only the deltas. Also the files which are available at the publish server but not at the machine from which publish is being done remains in tact. Internally it uses Microsoft Web Deployment technology, so one should get a smooth experience.</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">If you want to include the database too, check the box to include database too as part of publish. Right now database publish is not incremental but will override the database at the publishing server. So please remember this.</div>

Let me know if you need more details or I am completely off trrack.

Again thanks for the suggestion.

Don.

Jul 09, 2010 04:44 AM|Jeevecore|LINK

Do you mean the ability to associate files with opening the editor? Because I think that would be useful for making quick edits; Open With -> Web Matrix has got to be easier than launching WM, setting up a site, switching to files view, scrolling down the list to the file... Would also be handy if you could just right-click a file or folder and select upload, rather than publishing the entire site. If you don't want to upload everything that changed, having to tick or untick each file in the publish window is a pain, a treeview would greatly simplify this.

Jul 20, 2010 11:26 PM|simtan|LINK

In Windows Explorer, you should be able to right-click a folder containing files and choose "Open as a Web Site with Microsoft WebMatrix" - this is a handy shortcut to creating a Site to contain the files you want to edit.

Simon Tan
    Program Manager
    Web Platform and Tools