Multiple ARR Servers [Answered]RSS

6 replies

Last post Jun 03, 2010 11:24 AM by ArieH

• Multiple ARR Servers

May 27, 2010 08:03 AM|ArieH|LINK

Hi all,

Is it possible to use the web deploy tool to replicate information between 2 or more ARR servers and thus enabling better HA scenario and not making ARR the single point of failure ? How and where is the farm structure information stored ? Are there other tools to achieve such a thing ?

I’m in the middle of redesigning our IIS farm and I find the ARR to be a major step forward in our HA design. The problem as some of you are aware is that the server itself that hosts the ARR is the single point of failure thus I’m trying to find ways to overcome this.

My environment will be using a 2 * Hardware Balancers, connected to 2 * ARR (3 in the future) servers, and in each of them would be the same farm structure. The idea is that instead of manually setting/updating farm changes in all the ARR servers, I would only do it on one, and it would then replicate to the other servers.

Thanks for any idea / input on this :D

Arie

• Re: Multiple ARR Servers

May 27, 2010 03:58 PM|richma|LINK

Hi Arie,

Have you looked at the Shared configuration feature ?

Richard

May 31, 2010 10:32 AM|ArieH|LINK

Hi Richard,

Indeed i have, but theres a problem with such a solution and that its depends on the physical location of the shared folder hosting the configuration.

Idealy that will be a file server, preferably a DFS that spans sites so not to be dependant on specific server / site.

Issues is i dont have such an infrastructure. I can use the sysvol folder as a common mean to host the configuration but that initself has other

issues when it comes to replication and security so its not best of practices.

I think that ill have to rely on a manaul program / script to copy configuration from one site of operation to a secondary site of operation

thus overcoming the lack of DFS, as Shared configuration would work nicely in a site, but not between sites, to be truly considered HA solution.

Arie H.

May 31, 2010 10:59 AM|Uk-Sam|LINK

You can use web deploy to sync webserver, but make sure that you follow Principal and Partner type structure [self define rule/process], Always update Principal webserver and then sync them to Partner server. Doing so will give you Administration benefit and fixed point to start troubleshoot

Jun 02, 2010 09:31 AM|ArieH|LINK

Indeed, the WebDeploy tool is the tool used to make sure the IIS servers under the ARR will be synced.

Dont have yet alot of experience with the tool, but can it be used to sync the ARR 'metadata' between ARRs that

span multiple physical sites (i.e. physical locations not web sites ofc :D )

Jun 02, 2010 10:04 AM|richma|LINK

I am not sure what you mean by ARR spanning multiple physical sites. Typically you are going to have the ARR settings ( farms, balancing etc)  and the routing rules  on the ARR server,   while the sites themselves will be hosted on other content or application  servers. ARR has no knowledge of the physical drive locations of the content.

To sync a complete web server you cna use the following which will also  n sync the ARR settings. 

msdeploy -verb:sync -source:webServer -dest:webServer,computerName=Server2

Here are list of some help topics you can look at and test.  http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/346/web-deploy/

If this does not answer your question could you be more specific as to what settings you are referring to ?

Thanks

Richard

Jun 03, 2010 11:24 AM|ArieH|LINK

Good, so I can use the webdeploy tool to sync ARR config info as well.

I’m going to be building something similar to what’s described in the 'Achieving High Availability and Scalability - ARR and Hardware Load Balancer' article. To achieve HA I’m going to be placing some of the ARR servers in a different geographical site, and some of the content servers will be on that site as well.

The first thought was of course to use a shared config between the ARR servers, only that I do not have the infrastructure to use it in a way that will be called HA solution as any file server I would use would then be a single point of failure without proper DFS. I will most likely be using shared config between websites that are on the same geographical site, and the webdeploy tool to the same websites on content servers that are on the other geographical site.

Thanks again for the input :D

Arie