Query WMS Publishing Point [Answered]RSS

7 replies

Last post May 29, 2013 10:43 AM by elementarywatson

• Query WMS Publishing Point

Apr 29, 2010 04:47 PM|DJX|LINK

Is there a way to query a WMS Publishing Point via ASP/VBscript.

I'm looking to obtain any of the following:

Status (Started/Stopped), Now Playing (Source), Number Of Current Users

Thanks

• Re: Query WMS Publishing Point

May 01, 2010 05:23 PM|DJX|LINK

After a lot of research and work, I accomplished exactly what I wanted to do.

You can see my implementation here: http://www.djxmmx.net/wms/

That is a customized version I made to loop through an array of publishing points I specify.

I also made a generic version that gives a little more info and can be used to get info from all publishing points on the server (proof of concept).

Everything written in VBScript/ASP from scratch...

If anyone needs help, I am very familiar with the API now...

May 03, 2010 09:02 AM|chriskno|LINK

Cool, I'm glad you got it working.  As a next step, have you considered doing the audio playback with a Silverlight player, perhaps embedded on the same page? 

windows media services wms

Chris Knowlton (Microsoft alumnus)

Did my post answer your question? If so, please "Mark as Answer".

May 03, 2010 10:20 AM|DJX|LINK

That would be cool...

However, I've never done any Silverlight work...

I would like to at least look into it...

Do you have any good places to start?

I suppose it would be similar to embeding flash objects...

I would need to find a silverlight audio player as well right?

Just like in flash, I would need an audio player SWF?

Jun 10, 2010 08:05 AM|FTX|LINK

Can you post the API for VBScript/ASP? I do need some help.

Thanks

Jun 10, 2010 09:16 PM|DJX|LINK

First, in order to allow anonymous users to pull WMS data, you have make a few permissions changes to the WMSServer DCOM object.

It's a faily simple operation (in 2008 R2, you will have to change permissions on the registry key in order to change to permissions on the DCOM object):

1. <div mce_keep="true">Go into "Component Services" from Administrative Tools.</div>
    2. <div mce_keep="true">Drill down: Computers --> My Computer --> DCOM Config --> Windows Media Services</div>
    3. <div mce_keep="true">Set/Verify Permissions (I forget which ones were already set good):</div>
      • <div mce_keep="true">Launch & Activation: Users: Allow All Four</div>
      • <div mce_keep="true">Access: Users: Allow Both</div>
      • <div mce_keep="true">Configuration: Users: Allow Read</div>

Now, you will not have to be logged into the website as an Admin in order to pull WMSServer data.

I wrote an example script that should provide the most common things you will want to retrieve.

You can download the sample ASP page here: http://www.djxmmx.net/wms/wmsexample.zip

You can chop it up to get the pieces you really want and throw them in another page for actual presentation, like I did (http://www.djxmmx.net/wms/).

Microsoft did actually document everything you can do with the API and showed VB.NET and C# examples.

However, I found they way they presented the documentation less than helpful because you really have to hunt to find the right piece you're looking for.

This is just one of the pages I found in my extensive Google searching: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd892966(v=VS.85).aspx

I found another that gave more functions and objects but I really had to hunt (big time Google, but you have to type just the right thing ;)

You can do pretty much everything with the API (create Pub points, playlists, start, stop, etc).

Anything that you can do with the MMC you can do with the API but you just need to know the objects and functions.

Jun 12, 2010 05:42 AM|FTX|LINK

Thanks

May 29, 2013 10:43 AM|elementarywatson|LINK

Hello,

Works well! However, there appears to be no playlist and therefore no way to get stream author and title for a live push:// stream.

Did you perchance find out how to get author and title for a push stream whilst you were wading through the docs? I tried several times, and failed!