php-cgi.exe hanging a server [Answered]RSS

5 replies

Last post Jan 28, 2011 09:17 AM by iis7_nik

• php-cgi.exe hanging a server

Mar 24, 2010 12:26 PM|kkfrost|LINK

I started a thread somewhere but can't find the link. 

Oh well, this question is new.  I have a W2k8 server, P4 2.4ghz, 2gb mem 1gb free.  I'm running the latest 5.3.2 version of PHP NTS.  I had tried the 5.2 versions as well.

I am running vBulletin 4.0.2  http://www.compositedevpatterns.com

I have about 10 registered users but I'm the only one on the site pretty much now.  When I brought vB up, I would constantly loose my RDP connection to the server and pages would time out.  In my troubleshooting, before I would lose my connections, php-cgi.exe would start spiking.

I had somebody with physical access to the machine verify that activity by just one user on the site would cause php-cgi.exe to hit 100% and freeze the server intermittently until the process finished.

I later tracked this down to the google adsense feature.  I turned it off and the site runs great now.

vB support blames it on PHP and recommends I go to linux if I want to get away from these problems.  That's not going to happen.

So the question, are they're anyway's to throttle this php exe?  I'd like to do something like set it's max proc use to 95% or something so the worse case is a page times out.  Not hang up the server to where it's a hard time just staying connected through RDP.

Thanks

php-cgi.exe performance

• Re: php-cgi.exe hanging a server

Mar 25, 2010 05:35 PM|ksingla|LINK

Hi,

You can configure %age of CPU to be used for the application pool over a time period. This won't prevent CPU ever hitting 100% but will ensure that CPU is not used over a certain %age over a period. Configuring 80%-90% cpu usage over 1 minute periods might be safe in your scenario so that CPU can hit 100% maximum of 48-54 seconds (80-90% of a minute). If more CPU cycles are used, apppool will be shutdown for sometime.

Windows system resource manager might be the other option to set max processor usage %age for the process. I haven't used it but you can look into it here.

Thanks,
    Kanwal

Mar 25, 2010 05:41 PM|kkfrost|LINK

Thanks for the response.  Actually I did that and caused the server to crash.

HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error

Unable to place a FastCGI process in a JobObject. Try disable the Application Pool CPU Limit feature

FastCgiModule
    Notification ExecuteRequestHandler
    Handler PHP_via_FastCGI
    Error Code 0x80070005

<div id=details-right>
    Requested URL http://www.compositedevpatterns.com:80/index.php
    Physical Path E:\Data\WebApps\Retail\CompDev\index.php
    Logon Method Anonymous
    Logon User Anonymous
    </div>

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2010 06:39 PM|ksingla|LINK

Hi,

You need to patch your server to make FastCGI work when cpulimit is turned on. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970208. Hotfix can be requested from here. Alternatively you can install the hotfix which brings includes bunch of FastCGI improvements including the fix above. This hotfix is available here.

Thanks,
    Kanwal

Mar 26, 2010 08:05 AM|kkfrost|LINK

For everyone, this is only needed for IIS 7.0.  These fixes are included in IIS 7.5

Jan 28, 2011 09:17 AM|iis7_nik|LINK

Hi,

I need some explanation about the cpu limit feature where fastCgi php is turned on.

I have configured my appPool to kill the worker process when a cpu limit is broken. When the event occurs the worker process and the php-cgi.exe process are killed successfully. The application pool is stopped, after few seconds it becomes active. I would like to know if this stopping time can be configured. For example in my application I want that after a failure due to a cpu limit breaking my application pool starts after X minutes. Does a configuration exist to do it?

FastCGI cpu limit