IIS 7 and Above
Known Issues and Workarounds
White Screen of Death Resolutions
Last post Mar 17, 2010 07:09 PM by mikes2nd
Mar 17, 2010 07:09 PM|mikes2nd|LINK
Having experienced this. The dreaded "blank" white screen with zero info, no logs no nothing...
Here are some things I found
the first and most simple.
1. Turn on "static content" in IIS role services. And turn on ASP while you are there: due to security i guess MS doesnt want your default web site to work when you turn on IIS. You have to make an effort to go turn on Static content to get a simple html
page to fire up. Go turn it on and check out the cool pic MS put out there for you.
2. Running a website outside of the wwwroot folder? You may want to check your permissions, slam it in the "everyone" group to see if it solves the issue. Then back it down to "authenticated users".
3. Cpu 64 vs 32 bit... now its getting harder. 32 binaries on a 64 bit machine isnt going to work. Try enabling 32 bit by going into the selected app pool for your website and kick it down to 32 bit by setting Enable 32 bit = true. Remember you can't
mix 32 and 64 bit! Once you go 32, everything has to be 32 or vice versa.
4. And there is another... Ive seen corrupt .net installs get whacky(this is REAL bad). I am fighting this one right now. IIS is crashing out on me actually. I think the "server admin" who took it upon himself to install IIS installed the framework before
he installed IIS.... Genius I know.
I am fighting through it but a reinstall would be simpler. ive tried reinstalling iis role, reregging asp 2.0. I am not getting failure to reach iismetabase but it is throwing net 2.0 errors claiming 64 bit framework. Ive reregged them but no luck. Crashing
on asp.net users on the website.
Here is my plan of attack to "repair" IIS.
1. Unregister all the versions of ASP.NET with command "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –ua". and the framework 64 also versions. 3.0 and 3.5... etc
2. Delete ASPNET account from "Local Users and Group – Users".
3. reregister ASP.NET with IIS using "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –i". and framework64... net 3, 3.5 etc
4. Give permissions to the ASPNET account using "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis –ga machinename\ASPNET". for framework 32 and 64 and versions.
5. Reset IIS .
White page of death