Newby to IIS7.0 - The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007e) error [Answered]RSS

8 replies

Last post Dec 02, 2010 01:13 PM by kimba1

• Newby to IIS7.0 - The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007e) error

Mar 10, 2010 04:09 PM|rsmedley@bobsmedley.net|LINK

I just installed Small Business Server 2008 (x64) and I am trying to enable a classic ASP web site. I created a new application pool with classic pipeline mode. In the advanced settings I set the "enable 32-bit applications" setting to true, the parent paths to true and "send errors to browser" to true. ASP is enabled on the server.

I created a folder under the root of the C: drive for my site files and added a new web site pointing to the new folder as the physical path and used the new application that I created. The bindings for the site show "http:*:80:www.mysitename.net".

Permissions on the folder are similar to the c:\inetpub\wwroot folder - specifically IIS-IUSRS has read & execute; List contents; and Read permissions.

When I try to access the site a "500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed." error page is displayed.

Using failed request tracing there are two warnings:

72. -MODULE_SET_RESPONSE_ERROR_STATUS
    ModuleName StaticCompressionModule
    Notification 16
    HttpStatus 500
    HttpReason Internal Server Error
    HttpSubStatus 19
    ErrorCode 2147942526
    ConfigExceptionInfo 
    Notification MAP_REQUEST_HANDLER
    ErrorCode The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007e)

91. -MODULE_SET_RESPONSE_ERROR_STATUS
    ModuleName DynamicCompressionModule
    Notification 536870912
    HttpStatus 500
    HttpReason Internal Server Error
    HttpSubStatus 19
    ErrorCode 2147942526
    ConfigExceptionInfo 
    Notification SEND_RESPONSE
    ErrorCode The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007e)

Any help with this would be appreciated.

• Re: Newby to IIS7.0 - The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007e) error

Mar 10, 2010 04:29 PM|ksingla|LINK

My guess is that the compression modules are not able to find gzip.dll. Can you try procmon and see the filepath for which this error is thrown? Can you paste httpCompression section configuration from %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config?

Thanks,
    Kanwal

• Re: Newby to IIS7.0 - The specified module could not be found. (0x8007007e) error

Mar 10, 2010 04:45 PM|rsmedley@bobsmedley.net|LINK

here is the config file section

<httpCompression sendCacheHeaders="false" directory="%SystemDrive%\inetpub\temp\IIS Temporary Compressed Files" noCompressionForHttp10="false" noCompressionForProxies="false">
                <scheme name="gzip" doStaticCompression="true" doDynamicCompression="true" dll="%Windir%\system32\inetsrv\gzip.dll" staticCompressionLevel="10" dynamicCompressionLevel="3" />
                <scheme name="xpress" doStaticCompression="false" doDynamicCompression="true" dll="C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\suscomp.dll" staticCompressionLevel="10" dynamicCompressionLevel="0" />
                <dynamicTypes>
                    <add mimeType="text/*" enabled="true" />
                    <add mimeType="message/*" enabled="true" />
                    <add mimeType="application/x-javascript" enabled="true" />
                    <add mimeType="*/*" enabled="true" />
                </dynamicTypes>
                <staticTypes>
                    <add mimeType="text/*" enabled="true" />
                    <add mimeType="message/*" enabled="true" />
                    <add mimeType="application/javascript" enabled="true" />
                    <add mimeType="*/*" enabled="true" />
                </staticTypes>
            </httpCompression>

I've got procmon but not sure exactly what to look for to amswer your question concerning the filepath for the error.

thanks

Mar 10, 2010 05:00 PM|ksingla|LINK

Are you using xpress compression? Is suscomp.dll present in both %windir%\system32\inetsrv and %windir%\syswow64\inetsrv? I think what is happening is that only 64-bit version of suscomp.dll is present in system32\inetsrv folder but because you are running 32-bit worker processes, 32-bit compression modules are trying to locate suscomp.dll in syswow64\inetsrv and are failing because dll is not there.

Thanks,
    Kanwal

Mar 10, 2010 07:02 PM|rsmedley@bobsmedley.net|LINK

not sure what xpress compression is...

suscomp.dll is present in the system32\inetsrv folder (ver. 7.4.700.226) but NOT in the syswow64\inetsrv.

do I just copy it to the syswow64\... folder or is there a 64-bit version I need to download from somewhere?

thanks

bob

Mar 10, 2010 07:54 PM|ksingla|LINK

No, you need a 32-bit version of suscomp.dll under syswow64\inetsrv. If you are not using xpress compression, you can just remove the scheme by removing <scheme... /> element from httpCompression section so that compression modules don't try to load the dll.

Thanks,
    Kanwal

Mar 11, 2010 07:44 AM|rsmedley@bobsmedley.net|LINK

That fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Now, I just have to figure out why it can't load cdo...

May 18, 2010 01:27 PM|flipdoubt|LINK

I had the same problem and, luckily, the same solution. Thank you, Kanwal.

The server I deployed to is Small Business Server 2008 64-bit. Is this OS supposed to include the 32-bit libraries or does some configuration option omit the 32-bit library by default? Is there some way to get the 32-bit libraries onto machines in this state?

Again, thanks. 

Dec 02, 2010 01:13 PM|kimba1|LINK

Hi,

I have a suscomp.dll under system32\inetsrv and not under syswow64\inetsrv.  How can I tell if the suscompl.dll I have is 32-bit or 64-bit?  If it's 32, I'll copy it to syswow64\inetsrv.  I'm not sure if I should remove the xpress compression scheme or not, so I thought I'd copy the dll.  .

Thanks for your post!