We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Timeout? - The page contains broken hyperlinks. links all work..RSS

3 replies

Last post Jan 26, 2010 09:18 AM by werD

• Timeout? - The page contains broken hyperlinks. links all work..

Jan 25, 2010 01:24 PM|werD|LINK

Just ran the seo toolkit and got 8749 broken links

Violation Title    Violation Level    Violation Category    Count
    The page contains broken hyperlinks.    Error    SEO    8,749

i look at the links that it says are broken and 99% of them are 100% working.  I can only assume that the pages are taking a couple of seconds to respond.. Is there a way I can define a timeout period??, or is there any insight into what else would be causing this? 

Copying the url directly from the details pane and pasting it in the browser loads the page(no redirects just the page) The links all appear to be hosted in the nav control, but the failing links are only 10 or so out of the 100 links in the nav..However the same pages are failing on every page(even though the link in details works..).

The site is ssl, but the majority of links arent showing as broken, its just about 10 pages on the nav that work fine but show as broken on EVERY page that is analyzed.

( I can email a full url that fails in seo toolkit, but loads in all browsers..)

i.e. https://[mysite.com]/planning/default.aspx loads in browser.. but listed as broken in seo toolkit

Thanks for a great tool and Thanks in advance for any assistance with this matter

edit: i note that these pages are all default.aspx pages which are chidren of a master. They are all basic pages though. there is no redirect or referrer trickery going on and there are hundreds of other pages(both default and not) using this template that spider properly(except for the broken links)

werD, MCSD .Net

• Re: Timeout? - The page contains broken hyperlinks. links all work..

Jan 25, 2010 07:05 PM|werD|LINK

Carlos, I pm'd you a link to the site

Here's a much more clear explanation

On every page of the site 10+ identical urls get flagged as broken. All of the links are working properly? This is causing 8700 broken link violations. Can you please help me to investigate this issue? You could get the results by only crawling the main page or any of the sub pages (it seems to be failing on the nav on all pages).

I would greatly appreciate your help with sorting this out. Thanks again for the tool. Ive already written two custom modules for it :)
    werD, MCSD .Net

Jan 25, 2010 10:53 PM|CarlosAg|LINK

I looked at the site and I only got a few timeout's, however they are reported as thousands of broken links given the fact that the same URLs are linked so heavily, for example, I crawled 200 pages and got no timeouts so I had to increase the number to 1,000 pages at which point I suddenly got 9,000 broken links, however there was really only 20 different URLs that gave the timeout, (by right-clicking broken links and choosing Open in New Query and adding a "Group By" by Description).

What is happening is that a few URLs are taking longer than expected, however they turn into thousands of broken links because some of them are being linked 582 times from different pages.

My recommendation would be to look at the report that shows by "Content->Status Code" which will show you the ones that have a timeout under the 601 we use for signaling client side errors (ie it never reached the server).

In this version we do not have a setting to change the timeout, however based on the fact that most Search Engines will not wait a lot of time for a page it would be better to try to fix the performance issue. You could also try lowering the number of concurrent requests you allow SEO Toolkit to make to your server at any given time (which might help reducing the load) by going to “Existing Reports->Edit Feature Settings->Maximum Number of Concurrent Requests” and tune it.

Jan 26, 2010 09:18 AM|werD|LINK

That is all very helpful! Thanks a lot for taking the time to investigate. I appreciate your help and insight into the situation. I'll focus my efforts on ensuring the pages perform well before I try lowering the number of concurrent requests.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

werD, MCSD .Net