Error is HTTP Error 500.50 - URL Rewrite Module Error Trying To Access FPSE Admin Site [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Sep 09, 2010 09:37 AM by terri8502

• Error is HTTP Error 500.50 - URL Rewrite Module Error Trying To Access FPSE Admin Site

Jan 22, 2010 09:47 AM|terri8502|LINK

I have probably included way more info than anyone needs, sorry.  Red in the page were comments I added about the things to try. 

I have installed FPSE on my IIS7 website.  I can get to the administration pages, and have extended FPSE across the webs, but I cannot get to the administrative page.  I am pretty sure this is an authentication or permissions problem, but I don’t know what permissions I need to set to get it to work.  In my current environment, I have to authenticate before the page loads up, this is not happening in my new environment.

Error is HTTP Error 500.50 - URL Rewrite Module Error.  The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred. (I checked the URL Rewrite rules and don't have one for FPSE that I can see)

I used the "install frontpage server extensions" guide on this site to install them, and made sure all the prereqs were met, including having windows and basic authentication enabled.

Environment - Windows Server 2008 SP1, 64 Bit.  IIS7  Detailed Error Information  Module RewriteModule Notification BeginRequest Handler ISAPI-dll Error Code 0x800700b7 Requested URL http://172.29.99.52:80/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/fpadmdll.dll?page=webadmin.htm (not sure why the port is 80,  should be 3797, but when I change to the correct port I get a page not found error)

Physical Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\50\isapi\_vti_adm\fpadmdll.dll

Logon Method Not yet determined (not sure why it does not ask me to authenticate, it does in my current environment)

Logon User Not yet determined Failed Request Tracing Log Directory C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles (permission denied)  Most likely causes:  

·             IIS received the request; however, an internal error occurred during the processing of the request. The root cause of this error depends on which module handles the request and what was happening in the worker process when this error occurred.

·             IIS was not able to access the web.config file for the Web site or application. This can occur if the NTFS permissions are set incorrectly.  Checked web config permissions, administrators have full control and I am signed in as an administrator)

·             IIS was not able to process configuration for the Web site or application.

·             The authenticated user does not have permission to use this DLL. (checked the fpadmdll and I have full rights)

·             The request is mapped to a managed handler but the .NET Extensibility Feature is not installed. (IIS Management scripts and tools was not installed, but I added them and it made no difference, same error) 

Things you can try:  

·             Ensure that the NTFS permissions for the web.config file are correct and allow access to the Web server's machine account.  done

·             Check the event logs to see if any additional information was logged. No event log info ·             Verify the permissions for the DLL. done

·             Install the .NET Extensibility feature if the request is mapped to a managed handler. done

·             Create a tracing rule to track failed requests for this HTTP status code. For more information about creating a tracing rule for failed requests, click here.  Shows Access is Denied

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, please bear in mind I am verry new to IIS management. 

FPSE URL Rewrite 500.50

• Re: Error is HTTP Error 500.50 - URL Rewrite Module Error Trying To Access FPSE Admin Site

Jan 27, 2010 04:04 AM|Leo Tang - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

As the failed request tracing shows access is denied, could you please run Process Monitor on the server to determine the root cause? The process monitor will capture the access failure events, you can isolate the IIS work process w3wp.exe to check the permission issue.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    Feedback to us

• Re: Error is HTTP Error 500.50 - URL Rewrite Module Error Trying To Access FPSE Admin Site

Jan 27, 2010 07:48 AM|terri8502|LINK

Thank you! I downloaded the Process Monitor and tried it out, it will take me some time to get used too, tons of info.  Turns out the Microsoft Sharepoint Services web did not have our user in it.  Also, apparently the permissions issue was me trying to open the XML page for the failed request, not getting to the admin page, so I'm still trying to get there, but this cleared up a lot and let me know what error I was really having. 

Again, thanks so much!

Sep 09, 2010 09:37 AM|terri8502|LINK

Just in case anyone else is using FPSE and having issues getting the sharepoint administrative page to open.... turns out you can't open it on the server (known issue), but if you take the link and open it someone else, it works.  Or at least it did for me.  Good luck!