We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

how to publish HTML pages on the LAN [Answered]RSS

5 replies

Last post Dec 20, 2009 10:09 PM by Leo Tang - MSFT

• how to publish HTML pages on the LAN

Dec 16, 2009 02:20 PM|cajunzx6|LINK

I have finished building a new site for our company and would like to somehow publish it on the LAN so folks at the company can look at it like a real website. I've done setup a new site under IIS under the IP of the server but I keep getting this error thrown at me by IE

Under Construction

The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.

Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try contacting the Web site administrator.

If you are the Web site administrator and feel you have received this message in error, please see "Enabling and Disabling Dynamic Content" in IIS Help.

To access IIS Help
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open text box, type inetmgr. IIS Manager appears.
    3. From the Help menu, click Help Topics.
    4. Click Internet Information Services.

"full throttle till you see God, then brake" WSMC #103
  • Re: how to publish HTML pages on the LAN

Dec 16, 2009 02:31 PM|iis_sun|LINK

Dec 16, 2009 05:24 PM|cajunzx6|LINK

that's been done, the index.htm is the first document in that list, I also tried re-naming the document to 1index.htm but that didn't help either

Dec 17, 2009 01:05 PM|Paul Lynch|LINK

Hi,

Did you create a separate web site ? If so you probably need to configure a host header on your web site. Either that or just stop the Default Web Site if it isn't being used by another application. The 'Under Construction' page is actually being served from the Default Web Site.

HOW TO: Use Host Header Names to Configure Multiple Web Sites in Internet Information Services 6.0

Regards,

Paul Lynch
    MCSE

Dec 17, 2009 03:49 PM|cajunzx6|LINK

i stoped the default page and i'm getting this served up now:

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

followed the KB 324287 and still getting

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

Dec 20, 2009 10:09 PM|Leo Tang - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

If you are using host header names to configure multiple web sites , then you must set host headers for all of your sites and make sure the host name will be resolved to the correct IP address.

In this case,  the 'Under Construction' page did being served from the Default Web Site. The Default Web Site listens for all host headers on port 80. Actually, you can just drop your files in C:\inetpub\wwwroot, and hit up http://(Ip Address or sever name)/file relative path.

Below are some information about IIS6.0 operations, for your reference

IIS 6.0 Operations Guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785089(WS.10).aspx

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    Feedback to us