ARR and ProxyRSS

7 replies

Last post Mar 05, 2010 01:21 PM by bluisana

• ARR and Proxy

Dec 09, 2009 11:50 PM|amo368|LINK

So I have spent a ton of time looking here on this site for any information that was pertinent to me and my situation but I could not find anything specific that seemed to suit my needs. I have a very basic site that hosts a website internally. I want to somehow get that to the internet through a Web Proxy (reverse web proxy).

Here is what I have:
    RWP - Reverse Web Proxy server
    GIS - GIS Server with website
    Juniper Firewall

I want the internal users to keep accessing the web site directly through the GIS server internally. I want external users to be able to access the web site by going to the RWP server first then it somehow forwarding it to the GIS server on our internal network.

I want to know step by step what I need to do as I am very very new to ARR. I am somewhat familiar with IIS7 but still a little new to that as well.

ARR reverse proxy

• Re: ARR and Proxy

Jan 16, 2010 07:52 PM|bluisana|LINK

Hello,

I am trying to accomplish the same thing.  Were you able to get this working using ARR?  I am wondering that with so little community support here if I shouldn't do this using one of the open source ISAPI methods.

Jan 16, 2010 10:17 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Are you planning on replacing your existing reverse proxy with ARR?   It sounds like you have all the pieces that you need, so I am not sure where you think you will want to use ARR.

Assuming that my understanding is correct, what you will want to do is to place ARR between your firewall and the application server, as ARR is not a security product.  In this case, all you need to do is to simply configure ARR to be a reverse proxy.

Depending on whether you have ARRv1 or v2, the configuration parameter in question is placed in different window, but the following article should lead you to the right steps.

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/659/reverse-proxy-with-url-rewrite-v2-and-application-request-routing/

arr & reverse proxy

Jan 17, 2010 05:30 PM|bluisana|LINK

Thanks for the reply wonyoo.  This is the tutorial I was looking for.  I will testing this out next week.  Do you know if I will be able to make the outside (redirector from ARR) web application SSL if the internal application only supports regular http? 

Jan 17, 2010 06:46 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Yes, SSL offloading is supported via ARR.  That is to say that in a reverse proxy scenario, the communication between the clients and ARR is via SSL where as the communication between ARR and the application is HTTP.

Good luck.

ARR

Jan 19, 2010 10:35 AM|amo368|LINK

Sorry to have been gone for a while but we did get this working. I will be receiving a briefing on exactly what we needed to do to get it working. We did configure HTTP without issue the first time but the SSL gave us fits...

I'll post back shortly with full details.

Mar 04, 2010 03:37 PM|bluisana|LINK

Hey Wonyoo,

I finally got my production web server upgraded and installed ARR.  After getting everything setup and doing some testing I am now wondering if ARR can do what I am looking for.  

I enabled the proxy and setup a rule as shown in the tutorial above.  The rule redirects to my internal server http://10.0.0.10/app/ap.jsp.

The front page of this app consists of 3 frames.  Each Frame has a different URL.  Right now the frames show up when you go to the page handled by the ARR rule but all frames return a 404 error.  I then tried changing my redirection to something simple (google.com).  That worked just fine on the first page refresh.  Once I tried to click on anything in the google.com page (redirected from my internal server name) I got a 404 error.  Is ARR nothing more than an extremely simple page redirection tool?  

I was thinking that it would be able to redirect all requests and responses to an internal server.  This would allow an internal application to be completely exposed through the proxy server.  

Is this possible?  

Thanks for your time, 

Bryan 

Mar 05, 2010 01:21 PM|bluisana|LINK

Please disregard that last post.  I got it all working.  My problem was in the regular expression I was using in the rule.