We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Bug: Invalid Name CharactersRSS

9 replies

Last post Feb 01, 2010 02:58 AM by CarlosAg

• Bug: Invalid Name Characters

Nov 26, 2009 02:48 PM|drmadcow|LINK

Greetings,

I was just running a report on one of my clients websites and came up with the message:

"There was an error while performing this operation.

Details:

Invalid name character '_META_INDEX,FOLLOW'. The ',' character, hexadecimal value 0x2C, cannot be included in a name".

The problem however is it gives me no indication as to which page has the error, and doesn't give me the error message until the very last page is analyzed.  After I hit Ok it gives me the message:

"Closing the window will cancel the analysis. Do you want to stop the analysis?"

If I hit No to keep the analysis running but does nothing.  If I then hit Ok it says a report exists with that name, if I try to rename the report it just starts running again.  This is probably the reason for the my thread.  Cheers.

Daryl Quenet,
    Director of SEO Services,
    http://www.beanstalk-inc.com/

search engine optimization SEO IIS seo toolkit

• Re: Bug: Invalid Name Characters

Nov 27, 2009 07:25 PM|cichanlx|LINK

Daryl,

I ran into a very similar problem.  The easiest way to find the offending page is to search the Reports Directory (where the SEO Toolkit stores the downloaded pages).  The default location for it is: C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\IIS SEO Reports.  You can verify your location by going to 'Edit Feature Settings...' within the Toolkit.

Search that location for files containing INDEX,FOLLOW

I used a RegEx capable search tool to quickly find the offending page.  (I use FileLocator Pro, but there is a free version called Agent Ransack.)

If it occurs in one of your pages, you can change it.  If it's in an external site (that you link to), you could restrict the SEO Toolkit to crawling only your Web site.  CarlosAg can provide you with an extension to do this.

, Lee

Dec 03, 2009 03:59 PM|drmadcow|LINK

CarlosAg:

It would be nice if issues like this didn't kill the analysis, and just marked them as violations.  I just had a second website cause the same issue (well similar one but with different characters) and in this case there in a CMS we don't have access to the code.  Feel free to PM if you want the URLs of the sites to test with.  Cheers.

Daryl

Dec 03, 2009 07:37 PM|CarlosAg|LINK

yes, if you could send me an email to at microsoft . com (same user) with a pointer to the URL that cause the issue, I will be blogging a sample extension to prevent this from happening as a workaround in the meantime.

Dec 04, 2009 09:15 AM|plemaster|LINK

I have same isssue and prevents site analysis from finishing.  Invalid name character name in -'_META_KENTUCKY_PUBLIC_SERVICE_COMMISSION,_UTILITY_REGULATION_OF_RATES,_SERVICE,_AND_SAFETY'. The ',' character hexadecimal value 0x2c, cannnot be included in a name.

Dec 09, 2009 06:51 PM|drmadcow|LINK

Greetings Carlos,

Email is sent, daryl @ beanstalk-inc.  Cheers.

Daryl

Dec 15, 2009 02:52 PM|cmorganmcp|LINK

I'm having the same exact issue here, is there a workaround for this yet?

-chad

Dec 17, 2009 10:09 AM|CarlosAg|LINK

Thanks for reporting this. Unfortunately this is a bug in the current version that is triggered by a META tag that includes a name with certain characters (such as a ‘,’ '&' and others).
    We have fixed this bug (and a couple of other issues reported) and will be releasing an update for it in a couple of weeks or so.

Jan 12, 2010 02:26 PM|cmorganmcp|LINK

Any word on this update?

Feb 01, 2010 02:58 AM|CarlosAg|LINK

we have released a version of the IIS SEO Toolkit that includes the fix for this problem, so please install the latest version and you should stop seeing this problem.

http://blogs.msdn.com/carlosag/archive/2010/02/01/announcing-iis-seo-toolkit-v1-0-1.aspx