We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Site Analysis: Confusing errorRSS

5 replies

Last post Feb 01, 2010 02:51 AM by CarlosAg

• Site Analysis: Confusing error

Nov 22, 2009 02:42 AM|cichanlx|LINK

I just installed the toolkit.  I ran a Site Analysis and got this error part way through.

---------------------------
    New Analysis
    There was an error while performing this operation.

Details:

Invalid name character in '_META_CREATION_&_MAINTAINENCE'. The '&' character, hexadecimal value 0x26, cannot be included in a name.
    OK  

I'm stumped.  Any help would be appreciated.

, Lee

• Re: Site Analysis: Confusing error

Nov 22, 2009 06:27 PM|CarlosAg|LINK

It seems like your HTML contains a <meta name="creation & maintainance" that is causing the code to save the report to break, basically we capture this and it seems the "&" is preventing the report from saving it correctly.

Right now the only workaround is to change the & for another character.

Nov 22, 2009 09:18 PM|cichanlx|LINK

Thanks for the weekend reply, Carlos!  (Hey, is this CarlosAg as in the free .Net WebChart?  I used that for a while and really liked it.)

I had already regex searched my rendered source before posting, and found no meta element with a name attribute containing an ampersand.  I am thus led to believe that this "offensive" meta name occurs in a page I outlink to.

Yes, I just regex searched the IIS SEO Reports folder, and the only instance of a meta name with an ampersand was in the External subfolder.

Interestingly, the W3 does not specify legal values for the meta name attribute.  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2

I sure could use a workaround since I cannot change the source of sites which I outlink to. 

, Lee

Nov 23, 2009 01:08 AM|CarlosAg|LINK

Yes, that would be me and my good ol' Chart Control, good to know it was useful.

So, could you please send me an email at microsoft . com (same user name as this post). I can send you a workaround, basically using the extensibility we can write a module to clear the attributes that would be invalid. Once we verify it solves the problem I will post the example in my blog.

Nov 23, 2009 12:22 PM|cichanlx|LINK

Done.  Thanks in advance!

, Lee

Feb 01, 2010 02:51 AM|CarlosAg|LINK

We have released a refresh version of the IIS SEO Toolkit that includes the fix for this problem, so please install the latest version and you should stop seeing this problem.

http://blogs.msdn.com/carlosag/archive/2010/02/01/announcing-iis-seo-toolkit-v1-0-1.aspx