We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Enhance "admin roles" of IISRSS

3 replies

Last post Aug 22, 2012 09:05 AM by quasar2600

• Enhance "admin roles" of IIS

Nov 13, 2009 01:46 PM|Paul Schwartz|LINK

In a posting here: http://forums.iis.net/p/1162479/1924652.aspx#1924652  I discuss with Kristina my desire to have users that are not Windows Admins have the ability to log onto the console of the server and perform all IIS admin tasks.   The current delegation gives a broad subset of the tasks, but it's not currently easy to understand and configure as some components require webdeploy to be installed, and a knowledge of the various elements.

I would envision a delegation scenario more similar to Exchange, and also like SQL where you are able to grant broad "roles" to users, including 100% administrative control of the application, but limiting access to the hosting server.

• Rovastar Rovastar

5495 Posts

MVP

Re: Enhance "admin roles" of IIS

Nov 13, 2009 04:06 PM|Rovastar|LINK

Sorry to hijack you thread but I really would not like this to be be a feature. Already you are encouraging bad practice with the delegation and give more power will just enhance this more leading to more badly configured servers out there.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Re: Enhance "admin roles" of IIS

Nov 13, 2009 04:17 PM|Paul Schwartz|LINK

It is better to have technical limitation of requiring windows administrator rights to perform these tasks, which then means that 5-20 additional windows accounts with Administrator rights are required on a server?

I disagree.  You're welcome to start your own thread that refutes this request.

• Re: Enhance "admin roles" of IIS

Aug 22, 2012 09:05 AM|quasar2600|LINK

I want this feature!! Rovaster, you are wrong, I'm sure you haven't read his post about this requirement. I think this feature have to be implemented as soon as posible, because full administration delegation on IIS is not quite implemented, that is a fact.

+1 to add a section to allow windows users to be be full admins of IIS

Kind regards.