We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Interesting ExtensionRSS

16 replies

Last post Sep 28, 2009 05:55 PM by festuc

• Interesting Extension

Sep 02, 2009 12:57 PM|festuc|LINK

Nice interesting extension. Thanks !!!

Will it be compatible with ZendServer?

Also can we use it with static and dynamic compresion?

Thanks.

zend server compresion dynamic static

• Re: Interesting Extension

Sep 02, 2009 01:13 PM|ruslany|LINK

Festuc,

The beta of the extension has been tested and found to work well with the community PHP builds available here: http://windows.php.net/download/ . We have not tested it with ZendServer.

If you are asking about IIS static and dynamic compression then yes, the extension can be used with those.

If you decide to give it a try please let us know if you run into any problems.

Sep 02, 2009 01:15 PM|festuc|LINK

I will test it the next days with the official php releases and also with zend server and see what happens (it already has optimizer and datacache).

I would let you know.

Thanks.

Sep 03, 2009 06:04 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Hi,

Great news this Windows Cache Extension for PHP !! I wait for a such solution from longtime !

I have tested it successfully with IIS 6.0, PHP 5.3.0 NTS VC9 x86 and FastCGI Handler 1.5 RC.

Its' would be a good thing if you can provide in the final archive of the extension a single PHP script to view the statistics of the caching. It is unfortunate that each user have to write his own script, no ?

ruslany, I have read on your blog your article about the caching extension and the MaxInstances parameter and I ask me if it is better to set this option manually to 16 (2 cores on my server) or to use the Real-time tuning of MaxInstances setting which is included in the FastCGI Handler 1.5 RC ? Any idea about that ?

http://ruslany.net/2009/09/windows-cache-extension-for-php-and-cpu-usage/

Do you have any news about the expected date for the final version of FastCGI Handler 1.5 actually avaible in RC ?

Bye.

Sep 03, 2009 02:17 PM|ruslany|LINK

Good idea about a single PHP script with the statictics! We will look into providing that.

Regarding MaxInstances setting: if you use FastCGI 1.5 RC, then set the option manually. We are still tweaking and improving the dynamic real-time tuning logic for the RTW release.

The RTW release of FastCGI 1.5 is expected this fall.

Sep 04, 2009 03:15 AM|JulienTLD|LINK

Thanks for your answer. Good news for the 1.5 release this fall.

I have an other question about MaxInstances. Not really related with this thread and the cache extension but related to your last post about the manual setting of MaxInstances.

In my fcgiext.ini file, I have five brackets sections for five different websites with their own parameters. Actually, each section has it's own MaxInstances=16 setting (2 cores).

Is this mean that my system is globally set with a MaxInstances of 5 x 16 = 80 PHP Instances which is probably wrong ?

Do you think I have to divide 16 instances by 5 and set a MaxInstances = 3 for each website ?

I think it's will be more easy when the RTW will be avaible with real time tuning ;)

Thanks.

Sep 04, 2009 01:47 PM|ruslany|LINK

Yes, if all five web sites are fully loaded, then you may end up with 80 instances of php-cgi.exe running.

The improved dynamic auto-tuning of the maxInstances in RTW release should really help here.

Sep 07, 2009 06:15 PM|cmiwebstudio.com|LINK

Great to see this available. I can't get it to work (not found in phpinfo). Is it possible this extension will only work if the php files are in c:\php?

Sep 07, 2009 06:20 PM|don.raman|LINK

Have you read the documentation and followed all the instructions? Please go through them at http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevelopertips/archive/2009/09/01/tip-92-did-you-know-how-to-improve-the-performance-of-php-application-on-windows.aspx. Let me know what steps you are following. You should also ensure that you are installing Non Thread Safe version of PHP.

If you are still not able to make it work, please describe your problem in detail and let me know.

Thanks,

Don.

Sep 07, 2009 07:54 PM|cmiwebstudio.com|LINK

yes, ive followed the directions, which really is nothing more than put the dll in the extensions folder, add the extension call in the ini file, and restart iis. I have the VC9 x86 Non Thread Safe version installed as FastCGI. the extension doesn't appear in the phpinfo. I know there are other opcode cache extensions that require you use a folder location without spaces, like c:\php. Is it possible that this extension has the same requirements? The default php install location is c:\program files\php which is what I've used on my win 2003 server.

Sep 07, 2009 09:25 PM|don.raman|LINK

There are no problems whatsoever running it from C:\Program Files\PHP. You have correct 5.3 PHP version too. Okay do one thing, run the command

C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe --ini

and see that the correct INI file is loaded.

Otherwise run

C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe -c <path to INI which has information about WINCACHE there> -i | findstr /i wincache and check the output.

I hope the path to INI file containing WINCACHE information is at "C:\Program Files\PHP\php.ini". If that's the case the above command for you will become:

"C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe" -c "C:\program files\php\php.ini" -i | findstr /i wincache

Let me know what are you seeing.

Thanks,

Don.

Sep 07, 2009 09:52 PM|cmiwebstudio.com|LINK

on a hunch, i compared the other dll files to the wincache dll to check security... and was right on the money. I hope this information helps anyone else that runs into this. I found that there were several security level differences, including a missing Power User, Terminal Server User, and Users associated with the wincache dll. Added these user groups with the correct permission levels, restarted server, and everything worked as it should.

Sep 28, 2009 05:20 PM|festuc|LINK

I also would like to see that script; something similar like the one you have on your website.

Thanks.

Sep 28, 2009 05:27 PM|don.raman|LINK

We are working on shipping/providing a PHP file which will give stats in the next release. For now use this program:

// File wincache.php
    <?php

function print_nice($array, $count=0)
        {
            $i=0;
            $tab ='';
            while($i != $count)
            {
                $i++;
                $tab .= "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;";
            }

foreach($array as $key=>$value)
            {
                if(is_array($value))
                {
                    echo "<br/>" . $tab."[<strong><u>$key</u></strong>]";
                    $count++;
                    print_nice($value, $count);
                    $count--;
                }
                else
                {
                    $tab2 = substr($tab, 0, -12);
                    echo "$tab2 $key: <strong>$value</strong>";
                }
            }

$count--;
        }

echo "FILE CONTENT CACHE FILEINFO<br/>";
        print_nice(wincache_fcache_fileinfo());
        echo "<br/><br/>";
        echo "FILE CONTENT CACHE MEMINFO<br/>";
        print_nice(wincache_fcache_meminfo());
        echo "<br/><br/>";

echo "BYTE CODE CACHE FILEINFO<br/>";
        print_nice(wincache_ocache_fileinfo());
        echo "<br/><br/>";
        echo "BYTE CODE CACHE MEMINFO<br/>";
        print_nice(wincache_ocache_meminfo());
        echo "<br/><br/>";
    ?>

Thanks,

Don.

Sep 28, 2009 05:45 PM|festuc|LINK

Thanks... It works fine: http://www.elstir.com/wincache.php

Before I was using: http://www.elstir.com/info.php with:

<pre>

<?php

print_r(wincache_fcache_fileinfo());

print_r(wincache_fcache_meminfo());

print_r(wincache_ocache_fileinfo());

print_r(wincache_ocache_meminfo());

print_r(wincache_rplist_fileinfo());

print_r(wincache_rplist_meminfo());

?>

</pre>

Sep 28, 2009 05:53 PM|don.raman|LINK

Great to know that it is working. However I would suggest to name the file "Wincache.php" for the reason below:

• <div mce_keep="true">The WINCACHE code doesn't cache a file named "wincache.php". Ideally you don't want this file to be cached as this will give you stale results.</div>

Thanks,

Don.

Sep 28, 2009 05:55 PM|festuc|LINK

Thanks for the info. I had no idea about that.

I also have made the changes.