making rules working in Visual Studio server (cassini) [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Aug 13, 2009 10:24 PM by ruslany

• making rules working in Visual Studio server (cassini)

Aug 11, 2009 05:06 PM|graphicsxp44|LINK

Hi;

I've created my first rule :

^arts/artlist

gets rewritten to :

arts/artlist.aspx

So in one of my pages, I have a link that looks like this :

<a href="arts/artlist">arts</a>

It works great in IIS, however it doesn't work when I'm running from Visual Studio. How do I work around this ?

• Re: making rules working in Visual Studio server (cassini)

Aug 11, 2009 06:41 PM|JaroDunajsky|LINK

There is no way today to enable URL Rewrite with the Cassini. You would need to use VS to debug on top of IIS7. But your scenario is considered to be supported in the future. Unfortunately I cannot provide you any more details at this time.

Jaroslav Dunajsky (MSFT, IIS)

Aug 12, 2009 03:40 AM|graphicsxp44|LINK

Thanks for helping

Ok, I'm using IIS7 as my webserver in visual studio now. So far so good. Are there any limitations I should be aware of ?

Aug 12, 2009 03:50 AM|JaroDunajsky|LINK

Not sure what limitations do you have in mind. You mean potential issues with Visual Studio and IIS7 debugging when URL Rewrite is used?

Well, you will not get the intellisense when adding/editing URL Rewrite specific configuration to the web.config files from Visual Studio. You could use IIS Manager to write URL Rewrite settings (which you have probably done already anyway ;-).

I cannot think of anything else

Jaroslav Dunajsky (MSFT, IIS)

Aug 13, 2009 10:24 PM|ruslany|LINK

You can get the Visual Studio IntelliSense to work for URL Rewrite configuration elements by following the instructions in the blog post: Visual Studio XML IntelliSense for URL Rewrite 1.1