Problems in locating ARRRSS

32 replies

Last post Apr 18, 2014 03:56 PM by wsadkin

• Problems in locating ARR

Aug 02, 2009 08:52 AM|MarkusFred|LINK

Hello,

I followed all the installation steps to install ARR 2.0 Beta and have also corressponding log entries... rewrite_2.0_x64_beta.msi, webfarm.msi, requestrouter.msi, externaldiskcache.msi all show Success.

Unfortunaltely I don't have the ARR icon in the IIS section on my Server. What went wrong here?

Thank you for your support!

Regards

Markus

AAR Installation problems

• Re: Problems in locating ARR

Aug 03, 2009 12:20 PM|himanshp|LINK

Hi Markus,

What OS and SKU are you installing ARR on? How did you install using WebPI or from iis.net? Also are you able to see "server farms" node below "Sites" node in left pane of Inet Manager?

ARR icon's title is "Application Request Routing Cache".

Thanks

Himanshu

Aug 03, 2009 01:03 PM|MarkusFred|LINK

Hi Himanshu

thanks for your reply. I have the SBS 2008 installed with all relevant/automatic Updates. What do you mean with SKU? I installed using the 64bit .exe File provided and yes I am able to see the Server Farms. I also added the SBS server as a node to that server farm but that didn't make it eiter.I want to follow the URL Rewrite v2 example and installed the Rewrite Pack via WebPI in advance (even though it has come with the .exe deployment anyway).

But I don't have anything like AAR in my feature list, its just the same as befor (besides the URL rewrite feature is properly installed)..

Regards

Markus

Aug 03, 2009 01:18 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Markus

SBS has a lot of custom code so it's hard to tell what might be going on.

When you click on the server node, do you not see Application Request Routing Cache icon?  Alternatively, if you were able to create server farm, you should see additional icons after creating the farm.  More docs at http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/489/using-the-application-request-routing-module

application Request Routiing

Aug 04, 2009 10:08 AM|MarkusFred|LINK

Hello

I know its hard to believe, but only the URL rewrite feature is there.

The Server Farm Tree is also there, I  also added my server (once with DNS Name and with IP Adress) and when I connect to them it opens the feature page (again without showing the ARR feature).

In the advanced options of the server farms box I have a property called "applicationRequestRouting" with httpPort: 80, httpsPort:443, and weight 100 defined.

Funnily I don't see any additional icons after creating the farm. I can only connect to, remove server farm, add server etc.

Please help!

Best regards

Markus

Aug 04, 2009 11:17 AM|anilr|LINK

Any warning events from IIS Manager in the eventlog?

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server

Aug 04, 2009 02:46 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Markus

We installed SBS and tried installing ARR and it seems to work fine.

Do you see ARR in add/remove programs?

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling?

Also, can you send the installer log as well as the screenshot of the UI?

ARR

Aug 10, 2009 04:58 PM|JohnAd|LINK

Any further news on this problem, I'm getting exactly the same issue, do you still need logs. Here is an error from IIS manager in the event logs

Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-IIS-IISManager" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">11</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-08-10T20:47:00.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>27119</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>SERVER1.upsilon.local</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>IISMANAGER_MODULE_INITIALIZATION_THREW_EXCEPTION The Initialize method for module "Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule, Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.Client, Version=7.2.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" of type "ApplicationRequestRouting" threw an exception. Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' at Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule.Initialize(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, ModuleInfo moduleInfo) at Microsoft.Web.Management.Client.Connection.Initialize(WebManagementInfo webManagementInfo) Process:mmc User:UPSILON\????? Connection:SERVER1</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

John

Aug 10, 2009 06:56 PM|wonyoo|LINK

This problem seems to be little bit unrelated to the original problem.

John - for you, the problem is that the web farm client version referenced (7.1.3.0) is incorrect - it should really be (7.1.2.0).

I would do the followings:

1) First verify that you have the correct assembly.  To do this, simply type "assembly" in "run" dialog (Windows key + R).  In this list, locate Microsoft.Web.Mangement.WebFarmClient and verify that the assembly version is 7.1.2.0 (which is the correct one.)

2) Open %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config\administration.config and locate:

<add name="WebFarmFramework" type="Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarm.WebFarmModuleProvider, Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarm, Version=7.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

Verify that the referenced version (7.1.2.0) matches that of what's in assembly.

BTW - provided that this is the problem, I am curious to see how you ended up where you are.  Is this a fresh install of ARRv2 beta2?  Is this an upgrade?  Could you provide context around what your installation/upgrade steps look like?

ARR

Aug 10, 2009 11:02 PM|timmyd|LINK

I just setup ARR on a 2008 enterprise box and got the same condition (no icons in the server farm and the same error in event viewer). My version shows 7.1.2.0 in the places i checked in the previous posts by wonyoo. The event viewer error shows 7.1.3.0

Aug 11, 2009 02:20 AM|JohnAd|LINK

wonyoo

Thanks for the reply.

1 and 2 both have version 7.1.2.0

How I got here, ARR V1 install & uninstall, ARR v2 beta 2 install, look at logs failure with ARR due to services running, stop services, reinstall.

this on SBS 2008 SP1

Aug 11, 2009 02:27 AM|himanshp|LINK

Hi Timmyd,

Can you give me exact steps you followed? Are you using 32bit or 64bit machine? Also did you install from web platform installer or from iis.net?

I tried in my machine but couldn't repro this. Can you share setup logs (arr_setup.log, requestrouter.msi.log, rewrite_2.0_x64_beta.msi.log, webfarm.msi.log) from %temp% folder.

Can you also try to repair "webfarm framework" "Rewriter" and "ARR" from appwiz.cpl(Add/Remove programs) and check if that solves the problem?

Thanks

Himanshu

Aug 11, 2009 09:43 AM|timmyd|LINK

These are 64 bit machines. I had the shared config setup already then found out i had to remove it before ARR would install. I then ran the x64 version 2 setup from the iis.net site. It installed and i checked the logs in queston to verify success on each server. I then re-enabled the shared config on the servers and then set up the server farm. I cannot get access to the setup logs until this evening.

Aug 11, 2009 12:51 PM|wonyoo|LINK

I see - it may be that the problem that you are experiencing is related to shared config.

1) When you took the server out of shared config, did you choose to make the copy of shared config to the local machine (ie. take the snapshot of the latest copy).

2) After uninstalling ARR (previous version) and installing ARRv2 Beta2, did you re-export the local config to the shared location?

Please note that shared config works only when all the servers look identical in every sense of the way.  So when you take the server out of the server farm, you will want to do that for all the servers, install ARR on all of them, export the config again, then re-join all the servers back in.

Alternatively, what you may want to do is to use the local copy of the config where you installed ARR and see if ARR behaves as you expect (ie. before you re-joined the server into shared config.)

ARR application Request Routiing

Aug 13, 2009 04:32 PM|timmyd|LINK

I tired going all the way back out and uninstalling ARR on both machines and removing the shared config.

Then I:

1.  Installed ARR v2 on both machines.

2. Exported the config from server1 of them to a network share.

3. Setup shared config on server1.

4. Setup shared config on server2.

5. Created the farm from server1.

No icons appear in the server farm window. Is this the right order to do these steps?

Aug 14, 2009 06:50 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Hi Tim

It's not clear if the problem that you are experiencing is related to the original post.  Either way, I will contact you directly.

Aug 18, 2009 04:52 PM|jim.zim|LINK

I had same problem with Server 2008 and Vista with version 1 and I found out throgh the event log what i needed to stop the The Windows Process Activation Service (WAS)  then install the modules and the icons then showed up. 

Aug 20, 2009 12:44 PM|wonyoo|LINK

John

Thanks for working with us directly offline.  It is possible that there might be more than one root cause, but at least one problem seems to be that when IIS Manager is opened from MMC, the ARR icons don't appear.  However, is you open IIS Manager on its own (ie. either start IIS Manager on your client and remote into the server or TS to the server and open IIS Manager), then everything seems to work as expected.

We will investigate why it doesn't work correctly from MMC.

Aug 25, 2009 02:51 PM|rsrajeev|LINK

It works even using MMC, you just need to stop Windows Process Activation Service

Thanks Guys for your inputs. 

Sep 24, 2009 11:40 PM|wonyoo|LINK

To close the loop on this, this problem is fixed in ARRv2 RC release which was just made public today.

Download ARRv2 RC from:

• Microsoft Application Request Routing Version 2 RC for IIS 7.0 (x86) here.
    • Microsoft Application Request Routing Version 2 RC for IIS 7.0 (x64) here.

Sep 25, 2009 01:31 PM|wonyoo|LINK

Sorry - I've been notified that the links above go through OWA (which was how I was accessing the email last night.)

Here are the links:

Download ARRv2 RC from:
    • Microsoft Application Request Routing Version 2 RC for IIS 7.0 (x86) here.
    • Microsoft Application Request Routing Version 2 RC for IIS 7.0 (x64) here.

ARR

Oct 10, 2011 07:56 AM|silviasamy|LINK

Im in same situation...exactly the farm shown in IIS and no feature appears

the event viewer error

IISMANAGER_MODULE_INITIALIZATION_THREW_EXCEPTIONThe Initialize method for module "Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule, Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.Client, Version=7.2.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" of type "ApplicationRequestRouting" threw an exception.Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.File name: 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'at Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule.Initialize(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, ModuleInfo moduleInfo)at Microsoft.Web.Management.Client.Connection.Initialize(WebManagementInfo webManagementInfo) 

i checked both assembly and administration file the version number for webfarm client is the same....any help guys???

Oct 10, 2011 12:47 PM|wonyoo|LINK

You will want to use the WFFv1.1, which is what's currently being pulled in via WebPI.

If you would like to just update the WFFv1.1 (you may need to uninstall WFF that you currently have - WFFv1.1 supports in-place upgrade for some versions, but not all), you can get them directly from:

x64: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/0/57065640-4665-4980-A2F1-4D5940B577B0/webfarm_v1.1_amd64_en_US.msi

x86: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/4/7/5477B52E-7CC8-433C-AA26-74732B485857/webfarm_v1.1_x86_en_US.msi 

ARR

Oct 11, 2011 03:24 PM|dharcombe|LINK

Well, I've followed all the instructions here, with Windows 7 x64, and I'm still getting the same error:

IISMANAGER_MODULE_INITIALIZATION_THREW_EXCEPTION
    The Initialize method for module "Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule, Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.Client, Version=7.2.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" of type "ApplicationRequestRouting" threw an exception.
    Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
       at Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule.Initialize(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, ModuleInfo moduleInfo)
       at Microsoft.Web.Management.Client.Connection.Initialize(WebManagementInfo webManagementInfo)

I have the correct assembly versions, I've reinstalled (and rebooted) more times than I can count. Any further suggestions from anyone?

I've now wasted the better part of a day trying to fnd a solution to this.

Oct 12, 2011 12:03 PM|mscottk|LINK

I seem to be having the same issues when installing from the WebPI yesterday and today.

I completely rebuilt my 2008 r2 ARR server and it getting the errors described here.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Mike Kren

Nov 07, 2011 01:32 PM|totibr|LINK

Same problem here.. It´s a generalized problem? W2k8 Enterprise, fresh install. When I try to run the ARR, a lot of errors occurred.

Nov 16, 2011 02:46 AM|Thomas Wild|LINK

I've got exactly the same problem as you.

I tried every method I can find on the web, however, I failed.

Now, I hate MICROSOFT's products! IT"S TOO HARD TO USE!

I'd rather went back to linux, but our webpage is wrote with asp.net. I've no choise!

****!

Nov 16, 2011 02:49 AM|Thomas Wild|LINK

Have you ever solved it?

I've been exhausted by Windows these days.

If you have any progress, please let me know!

Thanks.

Nov 17, 2011 05:45 PM|harshmittal|LINK

What versions of WFF & ARR you are using? Have you tried the latest versions

ARR v2.5

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7173

WFF v2.2

http://www.iis.net/download/WebFarmFramework

Nov 25, 2011 07:27 AM|noneabove|LINK

Use IIS manager (%windir%\system32\inetsrv\InetMgr.exe) instead of the MMC based management (Server manager, IIS manager MMC snapin). Yes, they shouldn"t differ, but in fact they do. Yes, the ARR management module should work both ways, but it doesn't.

ARR webfarm IIS 7.5 WebPI Application Request Routing 2.5 web farm framework Could not load file or assembly webfarmclient

Nov 26, 2011 07:54 AM|Thomas Wild|LINK

THAT DO WORK!!!

Feb 19, 2013 06:21 AM|ahuva|LINK

I am having a somewhate related issue. I installed webfarm and realized I don't need it so used the Remove program in the control panel. Except now I get these errors in IIS every so often I try to recycle an application pool or the like. Not sure when. Here is the error below. Question is how to I full remove it ? What program directory do I goto to remove references lingering ?

"IISMANAGER_MODULE_INITIALIZATION_THREW_EXCEPTION The Initialize method for module "Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule, Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.Client, Version=7.2.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" of type "ApplicationRequestRouting" threw an exception. Exception:System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Microsoft.Web.Management.WebFarmClient, Version=7.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' at Microsoft.Web.Management.Arr.ArrModule.Initialize(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, ModuleInfo moduleInfo) at Microsoft.Web.Management.Client.Connection.Initialize(WebManagementInfo webManagementInfo) WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog]. Process:InetMgr User:S1050430\root Connection:S1050430"

Apr 18, 2014 03:56 PM|wsadkin|LINK

For the record, this is still broken in IIS8 / ARR 3.0; the Application Request Routing Cache element does not show up in the "Computer Management" MMC window for IIS, but DOES show up in the separate application Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager console.