We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

FTP 7.5, Cannot access file while in useRSS

19 replies

Last post May 04, 2017 03:33 PM by jnhaas

• FTP 7.5, Cannot access file while in use

Jul 13, 2009 05:28 AM|jonasmixter|LINK

Hi!
    We're using FTP 7.5 (with IIS 7.0 on Windows 2008 Web edition, 64-bit) and we have problems downloading files that is currently in use. This problem occurs both on files that is still uploading and files that are being used by other processes. In particular we have problems to download IIS log files since these are locked by Worker Processes serving a web site.

The error message returned to the FTP client is 550 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

This is exactly the same error that is described in the FAQ (http://forums.iis.net/t/1158270.aspx#B43) but even though we've changed this setting, the problem persists.
    I've verified that the File Handling / Allow Reading Files While Uploading is set to True. The applicationHost.config for the FTP site looks like this:

<site name="ftp" id="5">
      <application path="/">
        <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="C:\ftpspace" />
        <virtualDirectory path="/LocalUser" physicalPath="C:\webspace" />
      </application>
      <bindings>
        <binding protocol="ftp" bindingInformation="*:21:" />
      </bindings>
      <ftpServer>
        <security>
          <ssl controlChannelPolicy="SslAllow" dataChannelPolicy="SslAllow" />
          <authentication>
            <basicAuthentication enabled="true" />
          </authentication>
        </security>
        <userIsolation mode="None">
          <activeDirectory />
        </userIsolation>
        <directoryBrowse showFlags="" />
        <messages suppressDefaultBanner="true" />
        <fileHandling allowReadUploadsInProgress="true" />
      </ftpServer>
    </site>

Is there any other setting that we've missed or any known problems with this setting? Unfortunatly allowReadUploadsInProgress doesn't seem to have any effect at all on our server.

Best regards, Jonas Mixter

FTP FTP7 for IIS 7.0

• Re: FTP 7.5, Cannot access file while in use

Jul 13, 2009 07:50 AM|steve schofield|LINK

Did you restart the service or reboot the server after making the change?

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    http://iislogs.com/steveschofield
    http://www.IISLogs.com
    Log archival solution
    Install, Configure, Forget

Jul 13, 2009 08:09 AM|jonasmixter|LINK

Thanks for a quick answer!

steve schofield

Did you restart the service or reboot the server after making the change?

Yes, we've had the settings enabled for a few weeks, over several reboots of the server. I've also verified that the setting is still there after the reboot, but still no luck...

Best regards, Jonas Mixter

Sep 23, 2009 03:49 AM|jonasmixter|LINK

Does anyone alse have similar problems to this? I still can't get this working. :-/

Oct 02, 2009 04:51 PM|aleduran|LINK

jonasmixter

Does anyone alse have similar problems to this? I still can't get this working. :-/

Hi jonasmixter. Have you found a solution to this? I'm having that very same problem.

Oct 02, 2009 06:02 PM|jonasmixter|LINK

No, I have not. :-( It seems like the option allowReadUploadsInProgress doesn't make any difference at all. If anyone have any suggestions it would be most appreciated. / Jonas

Dec 22, 2009 11:27 AM|adrianmaule|LINK

Same problem here.

Jan 07, 2010 05:17 PM|adrianmaule|LINK

I'm also having a similar issue, if not the same issue.  Would appreciate some response from Microsoft on this

Apr 08, 2010 03:50 PM|viscious|LINK

95% of the time I have this issue.  About 5% of the time it works flawlessly.

I also have a smilar issue trying to upload files using webdav, they just time out (95% of the time).  (and im not sure what the error message is because the terrible webdav client built into windows 7 just freezes with no error message).

I don't have this problem on any of my servers using iis 7.0 or iis 6.0.  this is only an issue on iis 7.5

Aug 25, 2010 01:27 AM|Delagen|LINK

Anybody found solution? Reproducing issue is easy: 1. Create web site 2. Create FTP site that reading logs of web site 3. Load any page on web site and than try to download latest log file from FTP. 4. See 550 error of FTP server 5. Try to change allowReadUploadsInProgress setting and see that it has no effect at all

Sep 01, 2010 04:39 AM|jonasmixter|LINK

Nope... We still got the same problem. Not only is the problem easy to reproduce, I haven't been able to get the desired function of allowReadUploadsInProgress in any of our tests. Have we all misunderstood the use of allowReadUploadsInProgress or is it simply not working? Regards, Jonas

Jan 31, 2011 10:25 AM|Minid|LINK

We are currently experiencing the same issue, which is really annoying... our log analyzer can't analyze on demand because of this issue... somebody have a resolution for this ?

Cheers,

C.

Sep 13, 2011 09:40 AM|mitchelle|LINK

I have the same issue. The issue occured mildly when the websites were on the test URL. Once the sites were live (i.e. DNS changed to new server) the problem is constant. This is a serious issue as we let customers download their log files. The odd bit is that I'm abelto open the log files with notepad through Windows Explorer. Its just the IIS FTP that's unable to open the log files. Is Microsoft going to address this issue??

Sep 16, 2011 01:04 AM|jonasmixter|LINK

Hi Mitchelle, We still have the same problem and unfortunately no one at Microsoft has been able to explain what could be wrong with this feature. / Jonas

Sep 22, 2011 09:17 AM|MaryStoner|LINK

I have exactly the same problem. And Microsoft is still doing nothing. I´m getting a "little bit unhappy" about this matter...

Jan 12, 2012 12:19 PM|Romylinda|LINK

The issue is annoying, we need to access log files in use.

PD: Maybe we have to use a decent FTP server like FileZilla.

Jan 15, 2012 10:07 PM|kctt|LINK

The only get around solution is copy log file to a new file.

When using other software to open log file like notepad, the file is opened in read only mode.

Mar 02, 2012 11:31 AM|Spatule|LINK

Hello all,

I'm facing the same issue. Is there a workaround expect the copy/paste solution ?..

If none, is there a bug report for this problem ? I'm not able to find the Microsoft bug related to this problem on IIS 7.5...

Thanks in advance

Rgds,

Feb 21, 2013 04:21 PM|ericrobert|LINK

I'm having this same exact issue. Still no solution?

May 04, 2017 03:33 PM|jnhaas|LINK

Probably a little too late after a few years but I had the same issue and came across this thread that mentioned no solution. I was stumbled because when you host a web site in Azure you can retrieve the HTTP log file currently being written through FTP. As azure web apps are running under Windows 2012 and IIS 8 there must be a solution.

After some digging I found it. It seems that there is hotfix available now to correct the issue:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3030736/-550-the-process-cannot-access-the-file-error-when-you-try-to-download-a-file-in-windows
    I tested the hotfix on Windows 2012 R2 and was able to download log files currently being written by IIS. There is also a hotfix available for Windows server 2008 R2 and Windows 2012 but I did not test those.

Hopefully this will help those who have the same issue.

Jean-Noël Haas