Failed Request Tracing - Event 2284 [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Jun 24, 2009 02:13 PM by anilr

• Failed Request Tracing - Event 2284

Jun 23, 2009 09:36 AM|KevinKohn|LINK

I am continually seeing Event ID 2284 (FailedRequestTracing module failed to write buffered events ..) in the event log. 

Logging directory permissions are OK and logs are being written.  Monitoring the logging directory with ProcMon shows this for each 2284 event:

w3wp.exe   IRP_MJ_CREATE     NAME COLLISION
     w3wp.exe   IRP_MJ_CREATE     NAME COLLISION
     w3wp.exe   IRP_MJ_CREATE     SUCCESS

The Name Collision event is triggered by multiple identities.  The system hosts multiple sites and the app pools all have various identities (some local, some domain).  App Pool ID's are members of the IIS_IURS group and have proper permissions on the logging directory.

While i am seeing logs, i am wondering if I'm missing some due to the message in the event log stating 'No logs will be generated until this condition is corrected.  The problem happened x times in the last 5 minutes.'  Failure count varies from 1 to 9, and the data section always contains (in bytes) 0000: 50 00 07 80

• Re: Failed Request Tracing - Event 2284

Jun 23, 2009 09:44 AM|ganeshanekar|LINK

Seems to be a bug.

Are you on Sp1?

~ Ganesh

Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.

Jun 23, 2009 10:05 AM|KevinKohn|LINK

Yes.  Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

Jun 24, 2009 01:18 PM|KevinKohn|LINK

Loaded Service Pack 2 and still seeing this issue.  Problem seems to be isolated to sites where there are multiple app pools configured under different identities.

Jun 24, 2009 02:13 PM|anilr|LINK

The failed request tracing directory is created per-site and not per-app-pool - so if you have multiple apps running under multiple app-pools, they will each try to use the next filename in sequence and hence fail - we could probably add some retry logic to try other numbers in case of such collision.

Anil Ruia
    Software Design Engineer
    IIS Core Server