We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Canonical Formats and Query StringsRSS

2 replies

Last post Jun 09, 2009 02:08 PM by philipm

• Canonical Formats and Query Strings

Jun 09, 2009 07:11 AM|philipm|LINK

www.mysite.com/mypage.aspx and www.mysite.com/mypage.aspx?param=1 are reported with the SEO violation "The page contains multiple canonical formats". Does this imply that in general query strings are bad news SEO wise? As an extreme example, I have a property booking site where the query string contains the parameters "propertynumber" and "bookingdate" leading to a large number of reported violations. I could of course recode to pass the information in another fashion.

• Re: Canonical Formats and Query Strings

Jun 09, 2009 01:26 PM|CarlosAg|LINK

The short answer is that it does not necesarilly means Query Strings bad for SEO, but it might. It really depends on your content. I would need to understand more on how your page changes based on this query string and if in fact you want those pages to be indexed as different pages in search engines. In the meantime I wrote the long answer here:

See: http://blogs.msdn.com/carlosag/archive/2009/06/09/canonical-formats-and-query-strings-iis-seo-toolkit.aspx

• Re: Canonical Formats and Query Strings

Jun 09, 2009 02:08 PM|philipm|LINK

Thanks for that! I had spent some time "Binging" around the topic but your blog entry is a model of clarity. I take to heart your suggestion to take charge of the canonical relationships and not leave it to the search engines to second guess my intentions. Fortunately in my case, it is a simple matter to remove the query string altogether.