Reports folder conflict [Answered]RSS

9 replies

Last post May 09, 2012 06:08 AM by DanielC.

• Reports folder conflict

Apr 30, 2009 02:40 PM|amain|LINK

I'm trying to deploy my site on IIS7. Most of the site works as expected, except that anything in the folder Reports gives me a 503 error. The site works fine in IIS6. I think the Reports folder in my site is conflicting with the built in Reports folder, but I can't find anywhere to remove, change, or disable the built in Reports folder. Can I change the built in Reports folder's port or rename it to something else or get rid of it all together? Or am I stuck working around some built in folder by having to rename my custom stuff (which works fine in IIS6)?
  • Re: Reports folder conflict

Apr 30, 2009 04:30 PM|ma_khan|LINK

Which built-in reports folder are you talking about??

Apr 30, 2009 04:35 PM|amain|LINK

ma_khan

Which built-in reports folder are you talking about??

I'm pretty sure its from the sql server 2008 reporting services, but they are disabled and won't start (errors when I try to start them).

It's like a zombie virtual folder created by reporting services that I can't change (won't let you change or see any of the option if its not started) and keeps intercepting any requests to the Reports folder.

Apr 30, 2009 04:55 PM|ma_khan|LINK

1. Are both the report folder under the same Virtual dir or application ?? if not that should not be the issue...

2. 503 is for service unavailable.. that should come up when you have an issue with the server not able to handle the request or simple rejecting the request ...

You can enable fail request tracing and pin point where the problem is occuring ...

Apr 30, 2009 05:06 PM|amain|LINK

The website I'm trying to host is just at the root of localhost on port 80. It has a regular directory called Reports. The SQL 2008 reporting services also are trying to host something on localhost:80/Reports even though the service isn't started (errors when it tries to start). I'm not sure how SQL reporting services is being hosted. I assumed it was also on IIS, but I can't find it anywhere in my IIS manager. I have no way to change any of its options since the service won't start so I can't connect with the manager.

Apr 30, 2009 06:49 PM|ma_khan|LINK

Did you try any forums on SQL expertise ... what is the error btw... ??? All other websites are working properly ... moreover, within the same parent directory you cannot have 2 folders with the same name ... how do you have 2 reports folders???

May 01, 2009 10:40 AM|Paul Lynch|LINK

Hi,

SQL Server Reporting Services creates a folder called Reports by default if you install it on IIS. If you install SQL 2008 then Reporting Services doesn't need to use IIS and instead will try to reserve the URL with the HTTP.Sys service.

I believe this is the cause of the conflict you are seeing. What you could try is changing the URL that Reporting Services uses via the SQL Server Configuration Wizard.

Regards,

Paul Lynch
    MCSE

Nov 03, 2009 05:00 AM|HeavenCore|LINK

Paul Lynch

instead will try to reserve the URL with the HTTP.Sys service.

You Sir, are a Legend.

Mar 08, 2011 03:04 PM|shanaturs|LINK

HeavenCore

You Sir, are a Legend.
    Hear, hear.

Had the same problem. I set the virtual directory setting in SSRS to a folder named "reports" -- which happened to be the name of a folder in one of the websites setup in IIS. Whenever I tried to access the "reports" directory in that site, I'd get a challenge, regardless if anonymous access was checked. When I renamed the virtual directory setting in SSRS, both work fine now.

Thanks!

May 09, 2012 06:08 AM|DanielC.|LINK

I had the same issue. Our reporting service is listening on port 82 but on IIS folder/application reports is still not working. Here some more precise details:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677364.aspx