FTP Publishing Service 7.5 for IIS 7 & Vista [Answered]RSS

8 replies

Last post May 23, 2011 08:49 PM by JamesAt16

• FTP Publishing Service 7.5 for IIS 7 & Vista

Apr 15, 2009 08:37 PM|magnus09|LINK

I managed to get the service to install on my Vista system and can access a root ftp server no problem, the problem I am having is when I set up a ftp site with a host name (example ftp://ftp.nwsoftware.co.uk) IE returns a DNS error and Windows Explorer throws out a '530 Valid hostname is expected' error, I've also tried another of FTP clients with the same result. Is there a workaround for this or is the reason it is throwing it out because the FTP Server really isn't compatible with Vista?

IIS7 VISTA FTP7.5

• Re: FTP Publishing Service 7.5 for IIS 7 & Vista

Apr 15, 2009 10:20 PM|lextm|LINK

To configure FTP 7.5 publishing, you can refer to

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/303/adding-ftp-to-a-web-site/

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/320/using-ftp-virtual-host-names/

I think the second link answers your question.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Apr 16, 2009 12:53 AM|JaroDunajsky|LINK

The FTP site creation wizard for FTP 7.0 makes it too easy to type in the hostname for FTP site. In most cases single FTP site on port 21 is all what customers need. I assume that may be your case too. Just remove the hostname from the FTP binding and your site will work as expected.

As Lex pointed out, his second recommended link discusses when hostnames are useful.

BTW,  for FTP 7.5 we modified the FTP site creation wizard to minimize the chance of accidentally configuring site name in the binding.

Jaroslav Dunajsky (MSFT, IIS)

Apr 16, 2009 04:22 AM|magnus09|LINK

I have had a look at that documentation a few times and followed the steps but it still refuses to work in IE or Windows Explorer, yet if I use the command prompt and log on it does recognise the ftp server and lets me log onto it but user name has to be in format <ftpserver>|<username> for it to connect properly.

I have a friend whose sister is just starting up in business, we've registered a domain name for her but I also want to add ftp://ftp.nisharts.co.uk to the equation so he can log on using that to upload a web site for her once he has created it, which is why I am using virtual host names but it just refuses to work as stated above.

I want two ftp servers, one on ftp.nwsoftware.co.uk and another at ftp.nisharts.co.uk (both binding on port 21) which is what I assumed Virtual Host Names would do. Is this a Vista issue or are the Virtual Host Names not intended to be used like that.

In other words, on typing ftp.nwsoftware.co.uk I was expecting to be given the root page of that ftp server and typing ftp.nisharts.co.uk the root page of that ftp server binding.

IIS7 VISTA FTP7.5 iis7 ftp7.5

Apr 16, 2009 04:56 AM|magnus09|LINK

I think I have figured it out. I have bound ftp.nwsoftware.co.uk without a host name to port 21 and have bound ftp.nisharts.co.uk to port 21 with a host name. I cannot log on to the home directory of ftp.nisharts.co.uk by typing ftp.nisharts.co.uk in IE or Windows Explorer  it takes me to the home directory of ftp.nwsoftware.co.uk but if I open it in Windows Explorer and logon as ftp.nisharts.co.uk|<username> it does log me onto the root of ftp.nisharts.co.uk so my reckoning is the host names are not intended to be used as urls but as prefixes to the user name you wish to log on as.

If there is a way of making it work by typing ftp.nisharts.co.uk in IE or Windows Explorer I would be interested in hearing it though.

Apr 16, 2009 05:59 PM|JaroDunajsky|LINK

IE and Windows Explorer get confused by the way FTP 7 refuses user name when incorrect hostname is specified.

Robert McMurray has come up with a workaround for that http://blogs.msdn.com/robert_mcmurray/archive/2008/12/17/ftp-clients-part-3-creating-a-global-listener-ftp-site.aspx

I also just put together blog entry on minor but useful feature added to FTP 7.5 that may be of your interest http://blogs.iis.net/jaroslad/archive/2009/04/16/addressing-the-separator-problem-for-virtual-ftp-sites-ftp-7-5.aspx

Jaroslav Dunajsky (MSFT, IIS)

Apr 16, 2009 10:15 PM|magnus09|LINK

Thank you all for your help, it now makes sense to me.

May 12, 2010 03:36 AM|ravi67|LINK

Great Thank you. Spent a day figurig out the problem. Finally with your help got working.

May 23, 2011 08:49 PM|JamesAt16|LINK

Can you explain why Microsoft decided to go this route?  I have a server with a couple of websites sitting on the same IP address, and I wanted users who FTP to siteA.com to default to the inetpub/siteA directory, and users who FTP to siteB.com to default to that site's folder.  I find it a little nutty that users who FTP to siteA.com then have to type "siteA.com|fred" as their username, when the server should know what domain they're connecting to.  (Not to mention that the username format is less than standard and poorly documented.)

I don't think the problem is the FTP 7.0 wizard; the problem is that the server doesn't support the wizard's sensible approach.