We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Why does Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") fail on Vista / IIS7 / ASPRSS

30 replies

Last post Jul 21, 2011 01:05 PM by cyril.maxelysee

• Why does Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") fail on Vista / IIS7 / ASP

Mar 28, 2009 03:40 AM|davidmills02|LINK

My ASP pages work on my old XP computer using IIS6 and they work on my website

On my Vista computer with IIS7, ASP pages with no database data work

The ASP pages with a database fail at the first line with Set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")  and that produces the message error '8002801d'

I have ASP installed on IIS7, and I have tried removing IIS7 and then re-installing IIS7 but that had no effect

Searching for the '8002801d' error suggests it could be the Library is not registered and to register the ASP.DLL or to set permissions in the Registry. I do not find an ASP.DLL on the computer to register and the registry examples in the Microsoft Help and support pages do not seem to appear in my Registry

I have tried Process Monitor  but do not see an entry that says "ACCDENIED" as suggested in the article ASP Error 8002801d "Library Not Registered"

Suggestions on solutions would be appreciated

• Re: Why does Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") fail on Vista / IIS7 / ASP

Mar 28, 2009 08:07 AM|lextm|LINK

Please don't post twice for one question. Can you check Process Monitor log again to see if there are entries for registry key not found? ACCESS DENIED is not related. ASP.dll is located in %windir%\System32\inetsrv folder.
    Lex Li
    Want to have a chat on the issues you meet? Book an appointment at https://buy.stripe.com/cN24ia0yi7sAdIA7sv
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Re: Why does Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") fail on Vista / IIS7 / ASP

Mar 28, 2009 10:51 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Thank you for the reply, and my apologies for re-posting the question rather than expanding the information on the first question

ASP.DLL registers successfully, but I still am shown the message error '8002801d'  for the line Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") 

Can you provide any further advice on why I am not able to use ASP recordesets on IIS7 and VISTA?

Assistance would be appreciated

Mar 28, 2009 06:18 PM|steve schofield|LINK

Did you see this article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274038

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    http://iislogs.com/steveschofield
    http://www.IISLogs.com
    Log archival solution
    Install, Configure, Forget

Mar 29, 2009 01:49 AM|lextm|LINK

Can you try to re-register the following libraries? %CommonProgramFiles%\System\ado\msado15.dll %CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\System\ado\msado15.dll Regards,
    Lex Li
    Want to have a chat on the issues you meet? Book an appointment at https://buy.stripe.com/cN24ia0yi7sAdIA7sv

Mar 29, 2009 02:34 AM|davidmills02|LINK

lextm

Can you try to re-register the following libraries? %CommonProgramFiles%\System\ado\msado15.dll %CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\System\ado\msado15.dll Regards,

Thank you for the reply - I am using Vista Business and do not find a directory ADO and I do not find a file msado15.dll - %CommonProgramFiles%\System\ado\msado15.dll returns an error

Mar 29, 2009 04:33 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Sorry my error, I found and successfully registered %CommonProgramFiles%\System\ado\msado15.dll but still have an error error '8002801d'

Mar 29, 2009 04:35 AM|davidmills02|LINK

sorry it was my error, %CommonProgramFiles%\System\ado\msado15.dll registered succesfully but I still have an error error '8002801d'

Mar 29, 2009 04:36 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Thank you for the reply

I did see the article

When trying to edit the permissions as in the article I get an error message 'unable to save permission changes on CLSID' 'Access is Denied'

There is no Everyone entry on the ADODB.Command entry

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ADODB.Command\CLSID

1. <div mce_keep="true"></div>
    2. In the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window, click to expand the ProgID key, and then click CLSID. Record the UUID value of this key. For example, the ClassID for "MSWC.BrowserType" is {0ACE4881-8305-11CF-9427-444553540000}.
    3. <div></div>
    4. In the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window, click to expand the CLSID key, and then select the ClassID entry (UUID). On the Security menu, click Permissions. Make sure that the Everyone entry has Read permission; if not, add this permission entry

I found the article Article ID: 942031 Error message when you visit a Web site that is hosted on IIS 7.0: "HTTP Error 500.0 – Internal Server Error

In my error log I do not find a HRESULT number there is one suggested resolution that says to look at the Handler Mappings in the  inetmgr.exe if you click on Edit Feature Permissions for ASP Classic Read and Script are enabled but Execute is not enabled - should Execute be enabled?

Mar 29, 2009 04:25 PM|davidmills02|LINK

Hello

If I change Set RS_cmd = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset") to Set RS_cmd =CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")  omitting the Server., then the page displays without an error

Can you help with ideas why Server.CreateObject cause the error?

Thank you

Mar 29, 2009 11:09 PM|steve schofield|LINK

That leads me to believe it's a COM+ based error.   I've seen this before where CreateObject works and leaving the Server.   I don't recall the specifics, but leaving Server. off is 'bad'

Run regedit from an elevated command prompt.

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Mar 30, 2009 09:10 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Thank you for the reply. Leaving the Server off from Server.CreateObject was purely a test to try and isolate where the problem lay and not a solution to the problem

If this is a COM+ based error it has at least narrowed down possible causes

Apr 01, 2009 03:40 PM|davidmills02|LINK

Hello

Not 100% sure what I am looking for with a possible COM error

Is this related from the error logs

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          31/03/2009 22:56:19
    Event ID:      10016
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          David-PC\David
    Computer:      David-PC
    Description:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {682159D9-C321-47CA-B3F1-30E36B2EC8B9}
     to the user David-PC\David SID (S-1-5-21-2950769529-1505279588-989292554-1000) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10016</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-03-31T21:56:19.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>272477</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>David-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2950769529-1505279588-989292554-1000" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">machine-default</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
        <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
        <Data Name="param4">{682159D9-C321-47CA-B3F1-30E36B2EC8B9}</Data>
        <Data Name="param5">David-PC</Data>
        <Data Name="param6">David</Data>
        <Data Name="param7">S-1-5-21-2950769529-1505279588-989292554-1000</Data>
        <Data Name="param8">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Not sure what security permission should be modified using the Component Services administrative tool - advise would be appreciated

Thank you

Apr 02, 2009 11:33 PM|steve schofield|LINK

I have no idea why {682159D9-C321-47CA-B3F1-30E36B2EC8B9} would be erroring.  For testing purposes, grant the everyone group to see if this gets past the error.

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Apr 03, 2009 04:42 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Please can you tell me how to solve the problem of error message 'unable to save permission changes on CLSID' 'Access is Denied'

In the article you suggested http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274038 it says to look for the error in my case that is "ADODB.Command"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ADODB.Command\CLSID

1. <div></div>
    2. In the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window, click to expand the ProgID key, and then click CLSID. Record the UUID value of this key. For example, the ClassID for "MSWC.BrowserType" is {0ACE4881-8305-11CF-9427-444553540000}.
    3. <div></div>
    4. In the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT window, click to expand the CLSID key, and then select the ClassID entry (UUID). On the Security menu, click Permissions. Make sure that the Everyone entry has Read permission; if not, add this permission entry

Thank you

Apr 03, 2009 10:08 PM|steve schofield|LINK

Verify you are logged in as an admin.

Also, try turning off UAC or run a elevated command prompt then run regedit. 

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Apr 04, 2009 04:27 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Thank you for the suggestion, but that still does not allow a change to the registry. Your assistance is appreciated

Through Google I found the MSDN Forums where there are questions from other people about the same problem, but no one seems to be able to provide a solution as to how to edit the Vista registry without being given the access denied message

Surely it should not be this difficult and time consuming to solve what should be a simple problem

Apr 04, 2009 05:07 AM|lextm|LINK

You may notice that only TrustedInstaller has Full Control on such keys. You must first manually grant Administrators Full Control permissions and then test if you can make further changes.

Lex Li

Apr 04, 2009 05:47 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Thank you for the infomration. Where do I manually grant Administrators Full Control permissions? In the Registry with Regedit if I try to change any of the accounts full control, access is denied

The only suggestion I have seen that I have not been sure that I should do is in a MSDN forum

right-click the key, click security, click advanced, click owner, click other users or groups, click advanced, click find now, select your account, click ok, click ok, select your account, click ok, now you can set permissions as you wish. do this for every key you want.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssecurity/thread/dc4b243f-c84a-43ec-8b75-fe2cef2656ac

<div class=clear></div> <div id=content> <div id=forumsMessage></div> <div class=bread>MSDN > Forums Home > Software Development for Windows Client > Security for Applications in Microsoft Windows ></div></div>

Apr 05, 2009 04:57 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Thank you for the reply - please advise where you want me to manually grant Administrators Full Control permissions - if this is in the Regedit on the CLSID key, trying to do this creates an error message that access is denied

Apr 05, 2009 08:28 AM|davidmills02|LINK

I found how to change the control of the key in Regedit and then followed the instructions in the PRB: ASP Error 8002801d "Library Not Registered" Help and Support Page, but having done as they instruct and added everyone to CLSID key and that the Everyone entry has Read permission

But I still have Error 8002801d after following those steps as soon as the ASP reaches the code line Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Command") As before if I use CreateObject ("ADODB.Command")  the page loads without an error. Still need to find why Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Command")  causes an error

From searching through many pages, could the problem lie with MDAC or InprocServer32 or LocalServer32 Permission settings? When I look at the permissions for MDAC they are set to Read only other than for TrustedInstaller which also has Full Control

Apr 07, 2009 07:41 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Hello

I have compared and set the CLSID permissions on my VISTA computer to be the same as those on my XP computer where my LocalHost server works and there is no error message for ASP pages with dynamic content

In the article PRB: ASP Error 8002801d "Library Not Registered" it goes on to discuss the TypeLib entries

There is no entry in the TypeLib for ADODB.Command\CLSID   00000507-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4 but using the entry InprocServer32  there is a value b03f5f7f11d50a3a which I can find in the TypeLib section. If I compare the permissions for this on my Vista and XP computers there is a difference

There are no User Names or Groups with permissions set on my VISTA computer, while on my XP computer there are four Group or User Names

With VISTA can I add the same or equivalent Group or UserNames as on my XP computer?

In the TypeLib the entry where b03f5f7f11d50a3a  is found is  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{00000200-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\2.0

When you expand the TypeLib entry on the XP computer the sub entries are 2.0, 0, win32, FLAGS, and HELPDIR, while on the VISTA computer there is only one sub entry 2.0

Your advice and assistance would be appreciated

Apr 08, 2009 05:28 AM|steve schofield|LINK

This might be from a different angle, but do you have a secondary Vista or W2k8 box that gets this error?  This problem could be related to this particular box.   Without access to the machine, I'm not sure what else advice we can offer.   We'd really like to help, but it sounds like you've done your best to troubleshoot using the normal tools, KB articles.   I'm not sure what else to offer w/o just reloading the system.

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    Log archival solution

Apr 08, 2009 07:45 AM|davidmills02|LINK

Thank you for the reply 

The Vista computer is a new computer and has very little loaded by way of extra programs unlike my XP computer which has everything including the kitchen sink loaded in comparison

The one anomaly I have found when comparing the XP and Vista registry entries is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000507-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4} where the main entry has an extar User name or Group which is RESTRICTED as well as the other User Names and Groups

There is no entry in the TypeLib for ADODB.Command\CLSID   00000507-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4 but using the entry InprocServer32  there is a value b03f5f7f11d50a3a which I can find in the TypeLib section. If I compare the permissions for this on my Vista and XP computers there is a difference

There are no User Names or Groups with permissions set on my VISTA computer, while on my XP computer there are four Group or User Names

With VISTA can I add the same or equivalent Group or UserNames as on my XP computer?

In the TypeLib the entry where b03f5f7f11d50a3a  is found is  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{00000200-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\2.0

When you expand the TypeLib entry on the XP computer the sub entries are 2.0, 0, win32, FLAGS, and HELPDIR, while on the VISTA computer there is only one sub entry 2.0

Your advice and assistance would be appreciated

<div class=ForumPostContentText>

I used the Process Monitor filters to show W3wp.exe with these results

Time of Day Process Name PID Operation Path Result Detail
    23:18.4 w3wp.exe 3084 CreateFile C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VinylSignsDirect\html\products.asp\web.config PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a
    23:18.4 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKU\S-1-5-17 NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    23:18.4 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKU\S-1-5-17 NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    23:18.4 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKCR\TypeLib\{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0 ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    23:18.4 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKCR\TypeLib\{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0 ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    23:18.4 w3wp.exe 3084 QueryDirectory C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles\W3SVC1 NO MORE FILES
    23:38.0 w3wp.exe 3084 QueryDirectory C:\inetpub\temp\IIS Temporary Compressed Files\DefaultAppPool NO MORE FILES
    25:56.5 w3wp.exe 3084 CreateFile C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VinylSignsDirect\html\products.asp\web.config PATH NOT FOUND Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a
    25:56.5 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKU\S-1-5-17 NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    25:56.5 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKU\S-1-5-17 NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    25:56.5 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKCR\TypeLib\{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0 ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    25:56.5 w3wp.exe 3084 RegOpenKey HKCR\TypeLib\{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0 ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Maximum Allowed

In the Registry for D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8 there are no User names or Groups and no permissions are set - do I add User Names and Permissions in the registry?

</div>

Apr 15, 2009 02:05 AM|lextm|LINK

This problem was resolved offline and I would like to share the resolution here.

=============================
    Lex Y. Li to David
    show details 14:53 (23 hours ago) Reply

Hi,

I just installed a Vista virtual machine and turned on IIS 7. As a fresh OS, I open its registry and find only the 3.0 branch, and also I can see its permission settings. SYSTEM and Administrators group has full control, while Users group has read.

I don't know why your fresh Vista installation behaviors different, but guess the problem was caused by the differences.

Regards,

Lex Li

=============================
    David Mills to me
    show details 15:19 (22 hours ago) Reply

Hi Lex

I have eventually solved the problem and thank you for your effort to help

I had done as you suggested and registered asp.dll but that gave an error message

Using Process monitor I found an error message for the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0 ACCESS DENIED

When I clicked on that in the Registry I was given an error message and could not view any names or permissions. By accident I right clicked and after a message I was able to set the permissions you give below. In Process Monitor after registering the ASP.DLL again, I was given another error messages ACCESS DENIED for a sub key or entry under the \{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0 entry which was \{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0\0 – giving that names and permissions then gave the same error for \{D97A6DA0-A85C-11CF-83AE-00A0C90C2BD8}\3.0\0\Win32

Registering ASP.Dll again and then ASP in IIS7 worked – a long hard struggle when you do not know what to do

Lex Li

Apr 15, 2009 02:30 AM|qbernard|LINK

Mm.. I wonder why and what screw up the permissions at the first place :)

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Apr 15, 2009 03:02 AM|lextm|LINK

It is hard to tell, as my VM is also a fresh one which does not have any problem.

Lex Li

Apr 15, 2009 03:53 AM|davidmills02|LINK

I think the answer is probably Visual Baisc 6 caused the problem. When I wanted to install VB6 I was given a warning that some of Visula Studio 6 had known problems on Vista. I stopped the install and went to the Visual Basic pages on Microsoft where they said that VB6 could be used on Vista so I installed it. VB6 is the only non Vista program installed, all the other programs I have are said to be Vista compatable

VB6 does work but there is no Server.CreateObject code in Visual Basic, and it was only Server.CreateObject code on ASP pages that caused a problem. Removing Server and using CreateObject in ASP pages did allow dynamic content to work.

Jun 06, 2009 11:56 AM|rashidbilgrami|LINK

Jun 09, 2009 09:28 AM|qbernard|LINK

eerr. what does Jet db got to do with this? Microsoft updated long ago that there is no x64 Jet driver. - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810810.aspx

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jul 21, 2011 01:05 PM|cyril.maxelysee|LINK

just get the same trouble.

I fix it by this way :

in iis manager

in application pools

select the website's pool

double click on it to modify the pool

in .Net framework version

select:

no managed code

then restart the website (in iis management console)

this trick resolve my problem,

hope it will helpfull for someone...

cyril.