Error logs in Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0 [Answered]RSS

8 replies

Last post Mar 31, 2009 04:43 AM by Paul Lynch

• Error logs in Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0

Mar 26, 2009 10:24 AM|HMote|LINK

I have a client that is trying to access an aspx xml listener and it's returning an internal server error 500.  I go to look in the log files (C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\...) for that site and there hasn't been a connection even made that day...which kind of makes sense because of the error.  I've checked the event viewer, but didn't find anything around the time the error occured on the client side...

My question is, where in the world can I look for errors to try and resolve this issue?  The server error 500 happens off and on, but the listener works when it's actually connected too.

I've never troubleshot(?) a 500 server error on my server before to give a little background, but have went to the obvious places to find the problem to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I posted this on the ASP.NET forums and it was suggested that I post it here.

• Re: Error logs in Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0

Mar 26, 2009 11:03 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

HMote

I go to look in the log files (C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\...) for that site and there hasn't been a connection even made that day...which kind of makes sense because of the error.

No that does not make sense.  Since IIS responds to the request 500 errors do get logged.  Make sure you're looking at the correct log files.

Tom Kaminski (former IIS MVP 2002-2010)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Mar 26, 2009 11:52 AM|HMote|LINK

So am I looking in the right place for these errors?  Event log and log files? 

Also, there's not any way that a server could report 500 and not log it?

How do you troubleshoot these errors...I guess that's my main concern to make sure that I'm doing everything right to check out and fix the problem if there is one on the server.

• Tom Kaminski (former IIS MVP 2002-2010)

Mar 26, 2009 04:15 PM|HMote|LINK

No hard feelings meant in this response, but I do know how to use a search engine.  I did search for my answer before posting this question to get help from professionals or ones who might be able to help with my problems...ones that have dealt with this before on Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.0.

I thank you for you responses thus far and needed clarification on your response to my statements in which you said it didn't make sense that someone could recieve a error 500 without a log being made on the server. 

I needed to verify that I was doing what I needed to do to look for details on errors...event log and log files.

Just to provide you with a little feedback, these links that you've provided do not answer any of these questions I posted. 

Mar 26, 2009 04:54 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

HMote

So am I looking in the right place for these errors?  Event log and log files?

Yes. 

HMote

Also, there's not any way that a server could report 500 and not log it?

Not that I'm aware of.

HMote

How do you troubleshoot these errors...I guess that's my main concern to make sure that I'm doing everything right to check out and fix the problem if there is one on the server.

You need to find the page causing the error.  There are also several good resources in the Microsoft Knowledge Base to follow, as well as a good article on aspfaq.com.  These hit the most common reasons for this error.

HMote

aspx xml listener

What do you mean by that?  Is it ASP.NET code that is calling another server?

Mar 30, 2009 02:25 PM|HMote|LINK

It is an ASP.NET page that recieves XML through HTTP.  The other company sends the XML and our page accepts the data if it's from the correct IP and in the correct format.  It's only one page, and I'm not sure how things are set up on their end.  They sent me an error 500 that was said to have come from our server, but looking in the log files and event log from the time the error was received, I can't find anything that shows a connection was ever made to our server...

I now believe the problem is on their end from everything I've gathered, but I just wanted to make sure that I've researched where I needed too, which lead me to post here.

Mar 30, 2009 04:31 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

HMote

I can't find anything that shows a connection was ever made to our server...I now believe the problem is on their end

I would agree with you.

Mar 31, 2009 04:43 AM|Paul Lynch|LINK

Hi,

Just a thought - its possible that their attempt to connect to your server is being met with a 500 error which originates from some other network device sitting between their client machine and your server.

I would ask them to capture a network trace using Wireshark which should reveal the true source of the error.

Regards,

Paul Lynch
    MCSE