iis 7 configuration manager can't handle 1000+ bindings within 1 website [Answered]RSS

14 replies

Last post Mar 20, 2009 11:51 AM by Rovastar

• iis 7 configuration manager can't handle 1000+ bindings within 1 website

Mar 11, 2009 10:37 AM|keesdewit82|LINK

Well, as i can see the window handler is overloaded. See event viewer:
    IISMANAGER_CRASH
    IIS Manager terminated unexpectedly.
    Exception:System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Error creating window handle.
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(CreateParams cp)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.EnsureHandle()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.StartTimer(Int32 interval)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.set_Enabled(Boolean value)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at Microsoft.Web.Management.Host.Shell.ShellApplication.Execute(Boolean localDevelopmentMode, Boolean resetPreferences, Boolean resetPreferencesNoLaunch)
    Process:InetMgr

Does somebody know how to solve this? Or is this a real bug?

Error Binding

• Rovastar Rovastar

5494 Posts

MVP

Re: iis 7 (manager) can't handle 1000+ bindings within 1 website

Mar 12, 2009 08:28 AM|Rovastar|LINK

AFAIK there wasn't alimit to the amount of bindiongs a site could handle however I have never test to this huge scale before.

Could it be that there is some sort of corrupting in your appsconfig file?

IS there a set number where it fails?

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Re: iis 7 (manager) can't handle 1000+ bindings within 1 website

Mar 12, 2009 10:44 AM|keesdewit82|LINK

The xml in the config file is well formed (not corrupted)

I found that IIS itself can handle the amount of bindings, but the iis manager does not. Selecting a website from the left hand site tree, with more than 1000 bindings causes iis configuration manager to crash (see log event in my post)

I'm not sure about this, but I heard that something like a "window handle" can only view less than 1000 records (or rules). If true, I consider that as a bug. (But I can't find a way to reach Microsoft with my bug) Hopefully somebody knows howto reach them

Mar 13, 2009 04:42 PM|CarlosAg|LINK

I am trying to reproduce this problem and I cannot make it happen, I've added 2000 bindings to my site and it still works (slowly).

Could you give more information about how much memory your system has.

Could you also use Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx and monitor the User Handles of InetMgr.exe process just before clicking the site and see how big it gets. In my case it is getting to 4,000 handles and that is because we generate a "hyperlink task" for browsing to that binding. We are looking to introduce a "maximum" number of "browse links" to display since anyway it becomes really useless since you need to scroll so much for this.

Mar 13, 2009 04:55 PM|keesdewit82|LINK

There is no problem with the website, it runs smooth with 6000+ bindings, but iis configuration manager is ginving me trouble. When I start the iis configuration manager, it will try to load the bindings at the right site of the screen, and it just can't handle more than 1000 records. That will result in the attacht event log

Mar 13, 2009 05:12 PM|CarlosAg|LINK

Could you please confirm the number of User Handles when this happens in InetMgr.exe

Mar 13, 2009 05:25 PM|keesdewit82|LINK

nothing changes in the handles section of the proces explorer, it stays around 24.000, but if i look deeper into the proces of inetmgr.exe, I see that the private bytes almost rices to top level, about 138.8mb, and when I wait a litle longer it seems to load some of the bindings but a lot of them don't have no caption (text less). after waiting for a while i tried to click for example the logging icon, the proces inetmgr.exe will crash with the same event log record as provided in previous post

Mar 18, 2009 07:47 AM|keesdewit82|LINK

Somebody knows an answer?

Mar 19, 2009 06:10 PM|CarlosAg|LINK

Yes, the answer is there is a limitation (bug) in IIS Manager that will try to display the thousands of bindings in the Task List. We have fixed that in the next version (Windows 7 and 2008 R2) by only displaying the top "x" number of bindings since they are there mostly for convenience, but once you have that many the convenience really becomes incovnenient.

I guess you can contact Microsoft support and ask for a fix if you are blocked by this issue.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Mar 19, 2009 07:04 PM|robax|LINK

I've been surprised that the binding interface in 2008 is still the same tiny little box it has always been. It makes it very difficult to manage lots of bindings. It so obviously needs to, at the very least, be a resizable window so that one can get a better view of the list and find bindings to edit or remove. If anyone working on the interface reads this, please improve that part of the gui.

Mar 20, 2009 05:25 AM|keesdewit82|LINK

Yes, I agree with you! Microsoft should fix this limitation/bug in there software. Microsoft support cannot be reached without making a payment or having a contract. It's a real shame, because we already payed thousends of euros to use there software and now they ask money for a bug that they created themselfses.

Does somebody know how to address bugs to Microsoft without paying for them? I already tried microsoft Connect, but without result. The option isn't even there, only thing that can be done is giving feedback, so I did. Still till now, nobody responded.

Mar 20, 2009 05:54 AM|keesdewit82|LINK

Update: I contacted Microsoft by phone. They didn't want to help me, because I was not willing to pay 300 euro (270 dollar os so)

The told me that if it's realy a bug in iis configuration manager I will be payed back. I didn't agree. Who wants to pay 300 in advanced for a bug/limitation that is caused by Microsoft. Now I understand why they leave bugs in there software... the support cost is a serius part of there income I think.

Meanwhile it's driving me crazy

Mar 20, 2009 06:17 AM|robax|LINK

That's an insane amount of money to be asked to pay up front. I've tried for years to report things to various places at MS.. it's a complete waste of time so I don't do it... only in cases like this thread just in case someone picks it up.

Mar 20, 2009 06:39 AM|keesdewit82|LINK

Yes, lets hope some MS employee will read this post. It's realy a crazy world

• Rovastar Rovastar

5494 Posts

MVP

Re: iis 7 (manager) can't handle 1000+ bindings within 1 website

Mar 20, 2009 11:51 AM|Rovastar|LINK

Well MS employees have read this post. Carlos AFAIK is still one.

I agree it does seem odd that this is a limitation of IIS manager GUI.

Most admin do use the IIS manager to mange their websites. In fact I can't think of any that don't use it.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/