We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Custom report for unique visitsRSS

3 replies

Last post Jan 14, 2009 01:34 PM by SinghGurpreet

• Custom report for unique visits

Jan 12, 2009 01:18 PM|squitz|LINK

Is  it possible to create a custom report that displays information like the Site Traffic report, but counts unique visits instead of total visits?

IIS Reports IIS Administration Pack

• Re: Custom report for unique visits

Jan 12, 2009 02:46 PM|SinghGurpreet|LINK

Can you elaborate on this? Unique visits based on the users?

Is it not similar to what Report "Users Accessed" does?

Jan 12, 2009 04:49 PM|squitz|LINK

I don't think so, because Users Accessed reports the same numbers that the Site Traffic reports for my website; and i'm pretty sure that Site Traffic is purely hits, and i know that i have visited the site multiple times a couple days to make sure that i haven't broken it with the changes i've made.

The report i have in mind is a count of the distinct client IP address from the IIS logs for each date in the specified range. There would only be 2 columns of data produced by the report, one for the date, one for a count of the unique IP address that accessed the web site that date.

IIS Reports IIS Administration Pack

Jan 14, 2009 01:34 PM|SinghGurpreet|LINK

There is an article present on how to build your custom report at

http://blogs.iis.net/carlosag/archive/2008/05/30/new-articles-for-building-iis-manager-extensions-published-in-iis-net.aspx

It makes use of the Logparser for processing of the files. You can write your custom query as

logparser "Select top 25 c-ip as IP_Address,count(*) from 'C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1\u_ex*.log' where date=TO_TIMESTAMP('2007-07-27','yyyy-MM-dd') group by c-ip order by c-ip"

Let me know if it helps.