Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0201' - where is the FIX? [Answered]RSS

27 replies

Last post May 31, 2009 03:31 AM by student101

• Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0201' - where is the FIX?

Dec 31, 2008 04:49 AM|student101|LINK

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0201'
    Invalid Default Script Language
    The default script language specified for this application is invalid.

Please post the link to the fix for the above.

This is a MS product and surely will there should be a simple and quick fix for this issue.

Cheers

• Re: Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0201' - where is the FIX?

Dec 31, 2008 06:56 AM|student101|LINK

I have been through every option avaliable in this forum and other sites, and yet I still have the same issue.

Surely there is a literal fix for this?

Edit;

• <div mce_keep="true">I am almost certain that not one person who posted this issue has ever resolved it!
      Why? because MS wants everyone to pay for the answer!
      </div>
    • I mean get real! MS products have been paid for already, why on earth must we pay again and again for issues that should have fixes!
    • This is a literal joke!
    • PHP = FREE!, guess what it works first time and all year round!
      The only time when there is an issue, is if and or when the code is wrong, not the CORE!
    • Microsoft is actaully a sad ripped off version of MAC.

Dec 31, 2008 01:24 PM|Madness80|LINK

If PHP if free and it works first time and all year round, then write your code in PHP and don't use ASP. There's your solution.

Happy New Year.

Dec 31, 2008 07:05 PM|student101|LINK

Madness80

If PHP if free and it works first time and all year round, then write your code in PHP and don't use ASP. There's your solution.

I don't develop with ASP and WONT! purely due to the fact that I actually have to pay for a service/system that constantly has errors/issues and wont ever get/be fixed! Only "updated".

I had to pick on this issue first as this is one of the many that does not have a fix unless you pay for it!

Why must I or anyone else pay for this fix when they have already paid for the software? 
    Remember the facts please; this and many other errors/issues only came around after certian updates were introduced.

Madness80 - you seem to be a supporter of MS products - so where is this FIX?

Happy New year to you as well...

Jan 01, 2009 10:28 AM|jeff@zina.com|LINK

Does a Hello World ASP page work?  What OS, service packs, etc.?  Log entries?  Code snippets that cause this?  Post configurations.

Or, go back to PHP.  Classic ASP isn't necessarily within everyone's grasp.

Jeff

Have you Binged a solution before posting?

Jan 01, 2009 10:29 AM|jeff@zina.com|LINK

student101

I had to pick on this issue first as this is one of the many that does not have a fix unless you pay for it!

Oh, I forgot.  I need your billing address for answering your post...

Jeff

Have you Binged a solution before posting?

Jan 01, 2009 12:58 PM|student101|LINK

jeff@zina.com

Does a Hello World ASP page work?  What OS, service packs, etc.?  Log entries?  Code snippets that cause this?  Post configurations.

I can develop in Classic ASP but don't, purely due to the facts posted above.
    I will install the latest version of XP Pro with SP3 and get these logs for you...give me an hour or so.

Cheers

Jan 01, 2009 02:18 PM|student101|LINK

What do you need I have this;

• <div mce_keep="true"> XP Pro SP3 with (IIS6) Manager</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">IIS Resources</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">IIS Diagnostics (32bit)</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Log Parser 2.2</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">MetaEdit 2.2</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Internet Information Services (IIS6) Manager</div>

ASP CODE:
    [code]
    <html>
    <body>
    <% response.write("Hello World!") %>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/code]
    This ASP code returns this:
    [error]
    [/error]

Cheers

Jan 03, 2009 01:07 AM|Madness80|LINK

student101

Madness80 - you seem to be a supporter of MS products - so where is this FIX?

student101

I don't develop with ASP and WONT! purely due to the fact that I actually have to pay for a service/system that constantly has errors/issues and wont ever get/be fixed! Only "updated".

Dear Student101

You seem to be hung up on the problem of paying for support. Your are a perfect example of why MS charges for support. You are obviously inexperienced and immature.You see, MS charges for support because people, like you, who have no idea what they are doing, go and make all kinds of stupid changes and then expect everything to just magically work. Then they call for help and MS has to spend hours trying to figure out what you messed up.

I guarantee you that a clean install of XP SP3 will work just fine.

But then, since you don't develop in ASP and WON'T then there's really no point in continuing this thread.

Have a nice day, goodbye. 

P.S. Open the IIS section of "computer management", navigate to the folder where your page is, right click and select properties, in the "directory" tab click the configuration button. If the button is disabled click on the "create" button, then click on configuration. Then click on the options tab. The "Default ASP language" field should say "VBScript". If it doesn't, fix it. Next verify that VBscript is ok. Open a command prompt window and run "cscript.exe C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs enum_all". If that doesn't work then you have corrupted the XP installation beyond what this forum can help you with. You'll need to reinstall XP.

You're welcome.

Jan 03, 2009 01:56 AM|steve schofield|LINK

Here is a good post on this particular error.  Google is your friend. :)

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bernard/archive/2006/04/03/88985.aspx

Steve Schofield
    Windows Server MVP - IIS
    http://iislogs.com/steveschofield
    http://www.IISLogs.com
    Log archival solution
    Install, Configure, Forget

Jan 03, 2009 02:28 AM|student101|LINK

Madness80

Your are a perfect example of why MS charges for support. You are obviously inexperienced and immature.

Inexperienced, no seriously? and immature, let me look that up...
    You see, MS charges for support because people, like you, who have no idea what they are doing, go and make all kinds of stupid changes and then expect everything to just magically work.

I didn't realize that installing IIS was stupid, wow, that I'll keep for my notes.
    The objective of installing it would allow me or anyone else to believe that it would magically work, unfortunately this is not the case with MS products.

Thank you, Madness80

Cheers

Edit; By the way this XP box I loaded up, crashed after installing IIS.

• Rovastar Rovastar

5458 Posts

MVP

Re: Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0201' - where is the FIX?

Jan 03, 2009 11:58 AM|Rovastar|LINK

Must not feed trolls....

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/

Jan 03, 2009 12:35 PM|student101|LINK

Rovastar

Must not feed trolls....

We'll keep that in mind when we see you in the forums...

Cheers

Jan 03, 2009 02:06 PM|Madness80|LINK

Rovastar

Must not feed trolls....

Agreed. My mistake. 

Jan 03, 2009 02:39 PM|student101|LINK

Madness80

Agreed. My mistake.

Wow? That's [in]experienced and [im]mature.

Jan 04, 2009 11:02 PM|WenJun Zhang - MSFT|LINK

student101

What do you need I have this;

• <div> XP Pro SP3 with (IIS6) Manager</div>
    • <div>IIS Resources</div>
    • <div>IIS Diagnostics (32bit)</div>
    • <div>Log Parser 2.2</div>
    • <div>MetaEdit 2.2</div>
    • <div>Internet Information Services (IIS6) Manager</div>

ASP CODE:

&lt;html&gt;
    &lt;body&gt;
    &lt;% response.write("Hello World!") %&gt;
    &lt;/body&gt;
    &lt;/html&gt;

This ASP code returns this:
    [error]
    [/error]

Cheers

Is this a 64bit XP machine? Only 64bit Windows XP includes IIS 6.0. On 32bit box, the IIS version is 5.1. Please note we don't support using IIS 6.0 manager to admin an IIS 5.x site.

Please refer to Bernard's blog in Steve's post which is a very detailed reference to troubleshoot this error. If problem persists, please update here. Thanks.

Jan 05, 2009 01:49 AM|student101|LINK

WenJun Zhang - MSFT

Please note we don't support using IIS 6.0 manager to admin an IIS 5.x site.

Yes 32bit and yes installed IIS 5.1, then crashed after rebooting.

Cheers

Edit;
    Out of interest / curiosity;
    Lets say I install an XP Pro with all the updates to date along with SP3 and any other trailing updates that come along, now I need IIS.
    The XP Pro now needs my SP2 Windows CD which makes actually no sense, cause XP is so updated it shouldn't ask for a CD unless I use sfc /scannow ?

Jan 06, 2009 08:25 AM|qbernard|LINK

This seems like a very popular issue and not sure why is the 'one' thread where everyone want to XXXX about it...

Anyway - at the same time last year - Jan 2008. Another user like you were pissed with it! bla bla... few were able to fix it with the suggestions from the thread / blog / google / etc. but few aren't getting anywhere with it. not sure if you have dig out this thread -
    http://forums.iis.net/t/1147594.aspx

if you did, then err.. continue to get piss, throw or burn the pc :) or just try reinstall IIS / OS or install apache on it.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jan 06, 2009 08:38 AM|student101|LINK

Thanks. 

There are a few oddities with IIS, I can't for some reason reproduce this one with a virual box I loaded.
    Attempted all of the MS updates, removed IIS, re-installed IIS and still can't reproduce this issue, I am not asking for it to appear out of nowhere but to actually find the root of the actual problem.

Is it;

• <div mce_keep="true">Permisions?</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">DLL files?</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Windows updates?</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Or other windows oddities?</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Uneducated end-users?</div>

If I could reproduce it with the normal means, then sure I will find a global fix, otherwise just keep coasting.

Cheers

Edit;
    A recommendation - use it or lose it;
    If anyone has managed to load up IIS and get it working - create a system restore with the date and ISS so it reads Installed IIS or Working IIS todays date...
    If you do any other updates or program installs test the IIS before and after that way you can track what broke it, if it broke.

Jan 06, 2009 08:48 AM|qbernard|LINK

The one that I saw pretty common was the scripting engine dll. Yet not sure what cause it and it only happen on XP. I haven't seen any server boxes got this error before. so is must be XP specific installation or xyz action that cause it.

Also, I heard nothing from MS about this. and err it's been there since XP release. Even you open the case, they will just help you fix it, doubt they know what cause it.

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jan 06, 2009 09:06 AM|student101|LINK

qbernard

I heard nothing from MS about this. and err it's been there since XP release. Even you open the case, they will just help you fix it, doubt they know what cause it.

Yes that's it, open a case and pay for the support call.
    Nobody will hear about this from MS, they have to keep the monolopy - imagine if we knew the answers...

Jan 06, 2009 09:08 AM|Madness80|LINK

Did you try this?

P.S. Open the IIS section of "computer management", navigate to the folder where your page is, right click and select properties, in the "directory" tab click the configuration button. If the button is disabled click on the "create" button, then click on configuration. Then click on the options tab. The "Default ASP language" field should say "VBScript". If it doesn't, fix it. Next verify that VBscript is ok. Open a command prompt window and run "cscript.exe C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs enum_all".

If vbscript doesn't work, reinstall it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C717D943-7E4B-4622-86EB-95A22B832CAA&displaylang=en

If it still doesn't work, download procmon.exe from www.sysinternals.com and use it to trace the request. Look for "access denied" errors.

Jan 06, 2009 09:18 AM|student101|LINK

Thanks Madness80, it is working on the Virtual box but my attempt is now to find the broken link.

What exactly causes this... and so on, To actually fix it.
    Unless the only method; is to wait for it to break then upset everyone who is trying to help.

Cheers

May 28, 2009 02:32 AM|student101|LINK

Finally!!!

Windows XP Pro - SP2 or SP3

Problems:
    1. 500 Error - Internet Explorer when trying accessing IIS localhost
    2. 201 Error after fixing the first problem

Possible causes of problem:
    1. Windows Update - IIS updates
    2. Registry cleaning

There are two solutions take note of BOLD CAPS => OPTIONAL!!!
    Solution:
    1. Uninstall all IIS.  => OPTIONAL!!!
    2. Reinstall iis 5.1, and or other IIS components.  => OPTIONAL!!!
    3. Start >Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services > *Choose Default Website* > Properties > Directory Security Tab > *Uncheck enable anonymous access* > check integrated windows authentication* You are done!!!
    4. Accessing IIS local web by: http://*omputer name*/*site* OR http://localhost/localstart.asp

Possible reason:
    1. IIS (updates) 6 component are modifying or adding a new name called CONTROLCENTER, I dont know or care why.
    2. maybe IIS update or a registry cleaner.

May 28, 2009 02:37 AM|qbernard|LINK

Welcome back :) and what did I told you before about the possible cause? LOL...
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

May 28, 2009 02:53 AM|student101|LINK

qbernard

Welcome back :) and what did I told you before about the possible cause? LOL...

Sorry, you've lost me there... But Hi qbernard, yes only came back to post the fix.
    You know me, always trying to help others...

If I had enough cash, I would flood the market with LINUX / UNIX

Cheers

May 31, 2009 12:36 AM|qbernard|LINK

student101

Possible reason:
    1. IIS (updates) 6 component are modifying or adding a new name called CONTROLCENTER, I dont know or care why.
    2. maybe IIS update or a registry cleaner.

I told you the possible cause before..
    >>
    The one that I saw pretty common was the scripting engine dll. Yet not sure what cause it and it only happen on XP. I haven't seen any server boxes got this error before. so is must be XP specific installation or xyz action that cause it.
    <<

Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

May 31, 2009 03:31 AM|student101|LINK

Ok cool, neither do I.