PHP pages blank [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Dec 14, 2008 09:45 PM by kkehoe

• PHP pages blank

Dec 13, 2008 05:29 PM|kkehoe|LINK

First off, I'm a newbie to IIS and PHP.  I know this issue has been beaten to death in one form or another because I've spent 2 days reading about others with the same problem, but none of the solutions have worked for me. :(  Here's the story...

Objective:

To display PHP web pages locally using FastCGI for testing purposes

Issue:

"<?php phpinfo(); ?>" test file displays a blank page

System:

Vista x86 Ultimate SP1 w/IIS7 and KB954946 update installed
    PHP 5.2.8 (.ZIP) non-thread-safe installed in C:\PHP
    Set up per http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/246/using-fastcgi-to-host-php-applications-on-iis-70/

Here's what I know:

IISSTART.HTM displays properly
    "php - info" command line does return information
    PHP.INI (located in C:\PHP) modified only as noted in the above link, and to enable error reporting
    View > Source on the blank page does not display the raw script.  All you see is...<BODY></BODY>...
    I've added PATH and PHPRC Environment Variables in Windows
    FastCgi Module is configured w/Script access in IIS Module Mapping - it's Enabled and ahead of StaticFile in the Ordered List
    "Everyone" has read/execute permissions on C:\PHP
    I can't find anything obvious in PHP/IIS/Windows error logs
    PHP-CGI.EXE never shows in Task Manager unless executed directly

Here's what I think:

IIS is trying to call PHP-CGI.EXE but it's not running, so nothing gets passed back to IIS.  Am I correct in assuming that you'd see the raw PHP in View > Source if there was a configuration issue in IIS and it wasn't able to pass the code off?

Any idea what I'm dealing with here?  Permissions?  Paths?  Something else?  Help!

Thanks,

Kevin

• Re: PHP pages blank

Dec 14, 2008 01:58 AM|thomad|LINK

Does the following work?

c:\php\php.exe c:\inetpub\wwwroot\<name of your php file>

Thomas Deml
    Group Program Manager
    Internet Information Services
    Microsoft Corp.

Dec 14, 2008 09:15 AM|kkehoe|LINK

I would say no, it doesn't work.  All the output goes to a Command prompt window.  I assume it shouldn't.

My phpinfo.php test file appears to return the same information as the "php -info" command.

Any other .php file just echos the raw PHP code to the Command window, except for some errors regarding includes.  It appears to be looking at C:\PHP\INCLUDES for those includes instead of C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\<sitefolder>\INCLUDES where they're actually located.  On the plus side, at least it's an actual error to work with!!  Could that be an indication of a larger PATH issue that's causing my whole problem?

Here's one such error from the log:

[14-Dec-2008 10:18:24] PHP Warning:  include(includes/nav_upper.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\purpleday\includes\header.php on line 40
    [14-Dec-2008 10:18:24] PHP Warning:  include(): Failed opening 'includes/nav_upper.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php\includes') in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\purpleday\includes\header.php on line 40

Both those files render correctly in the browser if uploaded to my hosting server.

Thanks,

Kevin 

Dec 14, 2008 09:45 PM|kkehoe|LINK

Update:

Got it sorted out!!   Evidently I hadn't been checking the order of the Handler Mappings in the right place or in all the places necessary!  I went up the whole tree in IIS and found PHP ahead of PHP via FastCGI in a couple of spots.  Once I swapped those around everything perked right up!

Thanks to anyone who's given this issue some thought.

Kevin