We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Basic Authentication vs. Integrated Windows Authentication - Default Domain [Answered]RSS

5 replies

Last post Dec 13, 2008 11:55 AM by alan.smithee

• Basic Authentication vs. Integrated Windows Authentication - Default Domain

Dec 11, 2008 03:29 PM|alan.smithee|LINK

Hi,

Can I set a default domain when using Integrated Windows Authentication?  If I choose Basic Authentication under the Directory Security tab, I am allowed to choose a default domain that users are authenticated against, but I'd rather use Integrated Windows Auth.  However, if I choose Integrated Windows Authentication, it defaults to the local web server that the site is running on.  So, when users get prompted to log in, they have to remember to put the domain in front of their login name, which I'd like to avoid.  This is for an intranet application written in ASP.NET 2.0 running on IIS 5/Windows 2000 web server authenticating against Active Directory.

Thanks,

AS

• Re: Basic Authentication vs. Integrated Windows Authentication - Default Domain

Dec 11, 2008 03:55 PM|Egon|LINK

Are you sure that IE is trying to log on? By default IE only logs on automatically to Websites in its Intranet Zone.

~egon
  • Re: Basic Authentication vs. Integrated Windows Authentication - Default Domain

Dec 11, 2008 04:27 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

No, and by definition that does not make sense.  The "default" domain is the same domain that the client computer is logged onto.  When configured correctly, the user is never prompted and his domain credentials are passed by the browser.  Is IE configured for this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258063

Dec 11, 2008 04:42 PM|Egon|LINK

Hi Tom, on my experience User Domain Information is included in NTLM/Negotiate during a Autologon. So no Default Domain information is needet.
    But if AuthN fails or Autologon is disabled IE asks for Username/Password.
    The Default Domain for this Popup can be changed?

~egon

Dec 12, 2008 08:15 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

No it can't.

Dec 13, 2008 11:55 AM|alan.smithee|LINK

Thanks Tom, that makes sense and I found out the problem from the link you sent.  IE didn't think the site was in the intranet because I used the FQDN and it wasn't in my trusted sites.  By just using the server name, e.g. http://mysite/myapp/mypage.aspx, IE considered the request local and integrated auth worked (no prompt).

Thanks!