WCAT IIS performance Tool? Can anyone help? [Answered]RSS

15 replies

Last post Sep 16, 2009 11:13 AM by mrrogers

• WCAT IIS performance Tool? Can anyone help?

Nov 21, 2008 01:11 PM|hotrod|LINK

I’m trying to us wcat 6.3 against IIS 6 to do some performance testing against a new piece of vendor software. I’ve read all of the documentation but I’m still having problems getting it to do a run.  I’ve setup my clients and everything was installed successfully. But when I run the command  

wcat.wsf –terminate –run –t home.ubr –f settings.ubr –s dcwebat02 –virtualclients 20 

I get the results below but this is the way the command window stays, I never get any errors or other updates. What am I missing? I'v left the window like this for hours, I don't see any spike in the server cpu usage so I know it's not running anything.

C:\Program Files\wcat>wcat.wsf -terminate -run -t home.ubr -f settings.ubr -s dcwebat02 -virtualclients 80Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved. wcat.wsf - WCAT Utility ScriptCopyright (c) 1995-2007 Microsoft Corporation.  message: Parsing parameters... parameter: terminate parameter: run parameter: clients = 203558d,204781l,203456d,205732d,205731d,205733d,201360d (from HKLM\Software\WCAT\Clients regkey) parameter: {wcctl.exe command line} =  -t home.ubr -f settings.ubr -s dcwebat02 -virtualclients 80 -clients 7 message: Terminating all instances of wcclient... message: Terminating all local instances of wcctl.exe... message: Launching wcclient.exe on all clients... message: starting wcclient.exe on 203558d with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe 203558D -b... message: starting wcclient.exe on 204781l with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe 203558D -b... message: starting wcclient.exe on 203456d with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe 203558D -b... message: starting wcclient.exe on 205732d with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe 203558D -b... message: starting wcclient.exe on 205731d with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe 203558D -b... message: starting wcclient.exe on 205733d with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe 203558D -b... message: starting wcclient.exe on 201360d with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe 203558D -b... message: executing '"C:\Program Files\wcat\wcctl.exe" -t home.ubr -f settings.ubr -s dcwebat02 -virtualclients 80 -clients 7'...Server: dcwebat02

Clients: 7

• Re: WCAT IIS performance Tool? Can anyone help?

Nov 25, 2008 08:43 PM|ksingla|LINK

Do you see wcclient.exe running on remote machines? Have you verified that your settings.ubr and home.ubr is correct by using localhost as the only client?

Thanks,
    Kanwal

Nov 26, 2008 09:36 AM|hotrod|LINK

I managed to get things working. It turns out that wcclient was not starting on any of the client machines. In the end I made a single code change to the wcat.wsf file that will now start the wcclient on all of the client machines. I was able to run my first few test successfully.  THANKS

Dec 01, 2008 10:30 AM|John_99458|LINK

Can you provide some information about the change(s) to the WCAT.WSF that allowed this tool to work correctly? I am getting a similar error and I am also reviewing the WCAT.WSF to try and resolve this. I am using WinXP as a client and Win2003/IIS6 as the server if that makes any difference.

WCAT

Dec 01, 2008 10:56 AM|hotrod|LINK

If you go to each client machine and start wcclient does your test work? If so I made this change to the wcat.wsf file do a saerch for

commandline = CLIENT_COMMAND_LINE + " " + hostname + " -b";

comment it out with // and then add

commandline = "\\\\" + clients[i] + TARGET_SHARE + "wcclient.exe" + " " + hostname + " -b";

//Changed by Rod Doornbosch to start remote wcclient remotely
      //commandline = CLIENT_COMMAND_LINE + " " + hostname + " -b";
      commandline = "\\\\" + clients[i] + TARGET_SHARE + "wcclient.exe" + " " + hostname + " -b";

Dec 01, 2008 11:13 AM|John_99458|LINK

Hotrod, Thanks for the quick reply! I found the fix you referenced on my own and I am currently trying to get the WCCLient command to execute correctly. Right now I' at the point where it hangs here ....

C:\Program Files\wcat>wcat2.wsf -terminate -run -f "settings_001.txt" -t "scenario_001.txt" -x -clients "localhost"
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

wcat2.wsf - WCAT Utility Script
    Copyright (c) 1995-2007 Microsoft Corporation.

parameter: terminate
     parameter: run
     parameter: clients = localhost
     parameter: {wcctl.exe command line} =  -f settings_001.txt -t scenario_001.txt -x -clients 1
     starting client:localhost
     message: starting wcclient.exe on localhost with command line of \\localhost\admin$\wcat\wcclient.exe COMPNAME -b...
     message: executing '"C:\Program Files\wcat\wcctl.exe" -f settings_001.txt -t scenario_001.txt -x -clients 1'...
    Initializing performance counters...
    '\\198.168.0.1\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time'... Success!
    '\\198.168.0.1\Processor(_Total)\% User Time'... Success!
    '\\198.168.0.1\Processor(_Total)\% Privileged Time'... Success!
    '\\198.168.0.1\System\Context Switches/sec'... Success!
    Performance counter initialization complete.

Initializing performance counters...
    '\\198.168.0.1\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time'... Success!
    Performance counter initialization complete.

Server: 198.168.0.1
    Clients: 1

One thing I noticed is 'localhost' resolved to the Computer Name (COMPNAME) in the wcclient command line, not sure if that matters and I'm still messing with the WCCLIENT command but you never know until you figure it out. Also, please note that I changed the IP address(s) to 198.162.0.1 so the security team won't go ballistic, the above listing is not 100% accurate.

Dec 01, 2008 11:33 AM|hotrod|LINK

This is the setup file I wrote for myself, pick and choose what you want. 

Setup and using WCAT 

Before using wcat you need to use a program like fiddler to capture the data that you need. Once you have enough data do a “Select all” and then a “Copy – Full Summary”. You can paste this into the excel spreadsheet provided and us it to create the request SQL. Once you requests are created you need to edit the home.ubr and settings.ubr files. The home.ubr file also contains the warmup, duration and cooldown times.

1)      Install wcat 6.3

2)      Run ‘cscript //H:Cscript’

3)      Set the Default hosts to use. If no Hosts are specified it will default to these.

wcat.wsf -setclients {203558d,204781l,203456d,205732d,205731d,205733d,201360d} or for one machine wcat.wsf -setclients {localhost} 

This may need to be added manually to the registry key.

\My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WCAT\Clients\ Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved. wcat.wsf - WCAT Utility ScriptCopyright (c) 1995-2007 Microsoft Corporation.  message: Parsing parameters... parameter: setclients parameter: clients = localhost (default) message: updating Clients registry key... message: setting \\localhost\HKLM\Software\WCAT\Clients = localhost message: wcat.wsf completed successfully.  

4)      Install Software on all Hosts in the clients registry key above. You must make sure that all machines are on the network and that they are powered on and accessable.

wcat.wsf –terminate, -update 

5)      wcat.wsf -terminate -run -t home.ubr -f settings.ubr -s dcwebat02 -virtualclients 50 –stderr StdErrs  –x

6)      If the clients do not start automatically. You will need to start wcclient on each of the client machines you are using. As the clients are started you should notice the number and pc # appear on the controller machine. The best way to start all machines is to us PSExec

Psexec \\machine# “c:\windows\wcat\wcclient.exe” –b 203558D 

Where machine# = name of client machine

Where 203558d   = controller machine

It might be easier to just add these machines to a batch file.

7) When the test is done the log file is found in the wcat home directory

Dec 01, 2008 11:52 AM|John_99458|LINK

I have completed steps 1 and 2 without any problems. My registry has no entries for WCAT/CLIENT and when I run the WCAT.WSF with the update I get this ...

C:\Program Files\wcat>wcat.wsf -terminate -update -clients "localhost"
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

wcat.wsf - WCAT Utility Script
    Copyright (c) 1995-2007 Microsoft Corporation.

parameter: terminate
     parameter: update
     parameter: clients = localhost
     error: CreateDirectory() failed to create \\localhost\admin$\wcat\ (error details: )
     error: CopyFile() Unable to copy file C:\Program Files\wcat\wcclient.exe to \\localhost\admin$\wcat\ (error details: Path not found)
     error: CopyBinaries() could not copy WCAT binaries due to failure to copy wcclient -> \\localhost\admin$\wcat\
     error: CopyBinariesToClients() failed to copy WCAT binaries (C:\Program Files\wcat\ -> \\localhost\admin$\wcat\)
    C:\Program Files\wcat>

I am researching my localhost/admin account to see if there is a security settings that needs to be adjusted.

Dec 01, 2008 12:07 PM|hotrod|LINK

I added the entries to the registry manually as the setclient command doesn't seem to work, even as Admin, I don't use localhost. Instead I just enter my local machine name or number. Make sure you have Admin on all machines and use the same account information.

Dec 01, 2008 12:58 PM|John_99458|LINK

With your assistance I am now getting ...

All clients connected, Test beginning.
    Invalid code received.
    Error accepting remote connection.
    C:\Program Files\wcat>

I get this on my WinXP machine and my Win2003 server.

Dec 01, 2008 01:28 PM|hotrod|LINK

I saw this last week myself. I ended up uninstalling the application and removing all files and then re-installed everything. Not sure what the issue really was. Are you using version 6.1 or 6.3?

Dec 01, 2008 01:44 PM|John_99458|LINK

Should be version 6.3, I downloaded and installed it a few days ago.

Whilst beating my head against the keyboard it occured to me that I have the 'TEAM' version of Visual Studio 2008, doh! The test controller within VS 2008 appears to be much easier to set up and seems to actually work. I am going to switch over to the VS 2008 test tools and see if that will get me the test results I'm looking for.

Thanks for all your help and sorry about bugging you.

Dec 01, 2008 01:50 PM|hotrod|LINK

Let me know what you end up using and how it works. Writing a realistic script with wcat is also an issue. It would be cool if there was a tool that helped with this and also built in the delays.

Dec 01, 2008 02:02 PM|John_99458|LINK

Visual Studio 2008 wins hands down.

It works without the hassle. The WCAT tool seems to have been written by a single person for his/her own use. I sometimes build things like that, no gui, poor error messages, very sensitive to it's environment, etc. Since it's for my own use I don't bother with the user friendly stuff.

I feel bad about not following through with WCAT but I've already blown away 8 hours on this and since I have a vastly superior alternative, well there ya go.

Jul 20, 2009 01:47 PM|MarkSchneider|LINK

In the wcat.doc file that is included with WCAT 6.3, the 6th step in the "Installing WCAT" section states:

If the WCAT Controller machine will also be used as a WCAT Client, include ‘localhost’ OR the name of the WCAT Controller machine in the list of clients.

In my case, Windows security did not allow access to the admin$ share using "\\localhost\admin$".   Using the actual machine name in place of "localhost" worked for me (ex:   wcat.wsf -terminate -update -clients "MyMachineName").

wcat.wsf admin$

Sep 16, 2009 11:13 AM|mrrogers|LINK

John_99458

Visual Studio 2008 wins hands down.

It works without the hassle. The WCAT tool seems to have been written by a single person for his/her own use. I sometimes build things like that, no gui, poor error messages, very sensitive to it's environment, etc. Since it's for my own use I don't bother with the user friendly stuff.

I feel bad about not following through with WCAT but I've already blown away 8 hours on this and since I have a vastly superior alternative, well there ya go.

Did anyone ever provide a foolproof, simple way of getting this tool up and running because I couldn't get a it up and running to save my life. I have no idea who built this thing but they need a lesson in "User Friendly-ness".