We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

packaging, deleting and customErrors on discountasp msdeploy labsRSS

4 replies

Last post Nov 05, 2008 06:22 PM by faith_a

• packaging, deleting and customErrors on discountasp msdeploy labs

Nov 03, 2008 02:40 PM|libardo|LINK

Hi, I tried the lab site on discountasp. Creating and installing packages worked like a charm. Nicely done, this looks very promising. A few questions:

• <div mce_keep="true">Packaging root application: When I package a root application it will be installed as a sub-application. I didn't find any option in the UI to create or install as root application. How would I accomplish this?</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Removing applications: I can't remove applications (if you're discountasp reading this I'd appreciate if you cleared up my mess). Is it possble to enable this feature?</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Removing files: Repackaging with other files won't synchronize deleted files. Can I do this using the metadata files?</div>
    • <div mce_keep="true">Disable custom errors: I can't find any option in the IIS manager to set custom errors to off. Can I do this somehow?</div>
  • Re: packaging, deleting and customErrors on discountasp msdeploy labs

Nov 03, 2008 04:19 PM|aristotled|LINK

libardo

Hi, I tried the lab site on discountasp. Creating and installing packages worked like a charm. Nicely done, this looks very promising. A few questions:

• <div>Packaging root application: When I package a root application it will be installed as a sub-application. I didn't find any option in the UI to create or install as root application. How would I accomplish this?</div>
    • <div>Removing applications: I can't remove applications (if you're discountasp reading this I'd appreciate if you cleared up my mess). Is it possble to enable this feature?</div>
    • <div>Removing files: Repackaging with other files won't synchronize deleted files. Can I do this using the metadata files?</div>
    • <div>Disable custom errors: I can't find any option in the IIS manager to set custom errors to off. Can I do this somehow?</div>

Packaging root application:  In the install package wizard, where it shows the package contents, pull up the package Attributes and change the path to just your site name.

Removing applications:  I would try publishing an empty package.

Disable custom errors:  In IIS Manager, connect to your site and go to the IIS Error Pages section.  Then click on Edit Feature Settings to change to "Detailed Errors".

Nov 03, 2008 05:31 PM|libardo|LINK

aristotled

Packaging root application:  In the install package wizard, where it shows the package contents, pull up the package Attributes and change the path to just your site name.

Sweet. Too bad I wasn't authorized.

aristotled

Removing applications:  I would try publishing an empty package.

I did and it didn't help (All selected components in the package already exist on the target.)

aristotled

Disable custom errors:  In IIS Manager, connect to your site and go to the IIS Error Pages section.  Then click on Edit Feature Settings to change to "Detailed Errors".

Aha, nice. Oddly enough it had no effect. Maybe I have some crucial file missing.

Nov 05, 2008 04:56 AM|SKT_011|LINK

libardo

• Removing applications: I can't remove applications (if you're discountasp reading this I'd appreciate if you cleared up my mess). Is it possble to enable this feature?
    • <div>Removing files: Repackaging with other files won't synchronize deleted files. Can I do this using the metadata files?
    </div>

Hello,

I have also asked myself how I can delete files and it would be interesting to read something about this from Microsoft resp. discountasp.

Nov 05, 2008 06:22 PM|faith_a|LINK

Hi,

The UI does not delete existing content for you, it will have that option in the next release. In the meantime, you can use the command-line.

msdeploy -verb:sync -source:contentPath=c:\EmptyFolder -dest:iisapp=user1001.msdeploylab.discountasp.net,computername=https://msdeploylab.discountasp.net:8172/msdeploy.axd?site=user1001.msdeploylab.discountasp.net,username=user1001,password=PASSWORDHERE

To clean-up the SQL database, I suggest connecting to SQL Management Studio and deleting using a script.

For the custom errors problem, do you have a web.config file present on your hosted site? I can investigate this further.

Thanks,

-faith

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.