We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

IIS6, Wildcard Application Mapping, and FrontPage Extensions [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Jan 11, 2010 01:34 PM by guru_sarkar

• IIS6, Wildcard Application Mapping, and FrontPage Extensions

Sep 30, 2008 01:42 PM|ovalsquare|LINK

I've looked throughout these forums, but there doesn't seem to be any answers:

While I'd love to get rid of requiring FrontPage Extensions on a heavy traffic site I host, the client requires it to administrate the site. Having just implemented Wildcard Application Mapping in IIS 6 on this site in order to provide integrated Forms Authentication security between ASP and ASP.NET resources, this breaks FrontPage extensions. Everything works like a charm, including encrypting and caching roles that are now available even to ASP, except for the loss of FrontPage. Specifically, you cannot even login to FrontPage administration (incorrect credentials).

Has anyone gotten FrontPage to work with Wildcard Application Mapping routing through the ASP.NET 2.0 aspnet_isapi.dll?

IIS 6.0 publish FPSE frontpage Wildcard Application Mapping

• Re: IIS6, Wildcard Application Mapping, and FrontPage Extensions

Sep 30, 2008 02:14 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

Do you have to use wildarcd mapping?  Why not map each different file type to protect?

Sep 30, 2008 02:45 PM|ovalsquare|LINK

tomkmvp

Do you have to use wildarcd mapping?  Why not map each different file type to protect?

Thanks for the prompt reply. We need to use wildcard mapping because we still need for i.e. ASP to still be handled as normal after forms authentication takes place. If you just map for i.e. .asp to the ASP.NET 2.0 dll, forms authentication still works great, but it doesn't make it back through to the ASP classic pipeline. See http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/03/04/tip-trick-integrating-asp-net-security-with-classic-asp-and-non-asp-net-urls.aspx for more info.

Sep 30, 2008 02:54 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

Ah yes ...

Jan 11, 2010 01:34 PM|guru_sarkar|LINK

Did you or anybody find any solution to this?

Allowing anonymous access allows to use frontpage admin but thats not a permanent fix.

I am looking for a fix as well.

/GuruBhai - Blog